Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Going back to school...
So thanks to a lot of the topics on here I am doing online classes because my profession isnt likely to make it to my retirement. I have spent a lot of time going over all of the options and came up with a plan. I would like to hear from anyone who has gotten the BS in IT at WGU. So far I have finished 66 credits on Sophia, one at ASU, just got notification of graduation with the BOG from Pierpont. I have 5 more classes to take at Sophia that will transfer. Then I will sign up over at Study.com where I will have 4 more classes to take. I am also taking the advanced excel class at ASU in the hopes that it will satisfy the spreadsheets class at WGU. All that said it leaves me with 11 classes and 38 hours to take at WGU. While I cant skip the capstone I was wondering where I could possibly knock out a class or two to get that as close to 30 as possible. So does anyone know if classes at ASU would satisfy any of these? Clep? Or is this a possible to finish these within the 6 month period. I work a lot of hours(like 60 a week), but am motivated to finish this as I have spent 8 weeks for the first 67 credits. TIA

Looking for ways to convert a couple of these if possible.
Ethics in Technology- 3 credits
Finite Math- 4 credits
Business of IT- Applications- 4 credits
Web Development Application- 6 credits
Linux Foundations- 3 credits
User Interface Design- 4 credits
Emerging Technology- 2 credits
Networks- 4 credits
Network and Security Applications- 4 credits
IT Applications- 4 credits
Capstone- 4 Credits
(10-26-2023, 06:50 AM)Smgill2282 Wrote: So thanks to a lot of the topics on here I am doing online classes because my profession isnt likely to make it to my retirement. I have spent a lot of time going over all of the options and came up with a plan. I would like to hear from anyone who has gotten the BS in IT at WGU. So far I have finished 66 credits on Sophia, one at ASU, just got notification of graduation with the BOG from Pierpont. I have 5 more classes to take at Sophia that will transfer. Then I will sign up over at Study.com where I will have 4 more classes to take. I am also taking the advanced excel class at ASU in the hopes that it will satisfy the spreadsheets class at WGU. All that said it leaves me with 11 classes and 38 hours to take at WGU. While I cant skip the capstone I was wondering where I could possibly knock out a class or two to get that as close to 30 as possible. So does anyone know if classes at ASU would satisfy any of these? Clep? Or is this a possible to finish these within the 6 month period. I work a lot of hours(like 60 a week), but am motivated to finish this as I have spent 8 weeks for the first 67 credits. TIA

Finite Math- 4 credits
Networks- 4 credits
Capstone- 4 Credits

You can sign up for free till 10/31 for TADA and get the Google UX design cert
https://theamericandreamacademy.org/

You can get other certs that will cost you money but it's worth it if you want to lower your stress when you start WGU and give yourself a good chance to finish in 6 months.
https://degreeforum.miraheze.org/wiki/WG...egree_Plan

Based on how fast you got through your first 67cr, I would bet that you have a 75%+ chance of completing WGU in 6 months. 

Ethics in Technology
Emerging Technology
Spreadsheets

These courses I wouldn't worry about as you can probably pass them in a couple of days.

Network and Security - Applications which is CompTIA Security+ will probably be the hardest cert that may take 2-4 weeks.

One thing you can do for example is prestudy for certs so that when you start WGU you are ready to take the final exam for a cert such as CompTIA Network+. I wouldn't go overboard pre studying for more than 1 or 2 certs.
Degrees: BA Computer Science, BS Business Administration with a concentration in CIS, AS Natural Science & Math, TESU. 4.0 GPA 2022.
Course Experience:  CLEP, Instantcert, Sophia.org, Study.com, Straighterline.com, Onlinedegree.org, Saylor.org, Csmlearn.com, and TEL Learning.
Certifications: W3Schools PHP, Google IT Support, Google Digital Marketing, Google Project Management
[-] The following 1 user Likes LevelUP's post:
  • RachelB
Quote:Or is this a possible to finish these within the 6 month period.
Very possible. Although I took 2 terms, I really only spent 2-3 months actually working on my WGU classes(was doing another program at the same time). With that said, it wouldn't hurt to try and fit in another transfer class or 2.

Ethics in Technology- 3 credits: many have reported that the similarly named DSST test will cover this, though regardless, this is a really easy course at WGU IMO and I was able to finish in under a day I believe.
Finite Math- 4 credits: no known transfers but that doesn't matter since this is another really easy one.
Business of IT- Applications- 4 credits: this is the ITIL cert. WGU accepted my ASU course CIS 105 for this one so you may want to take that approach. I hear the ITIL cert isn't valued very highly so it wouldn't hurt to transfer this in and skip it if feasible. With that said, I've heard that many are able to just cram for this one in under a week even though the material is very dry.
Web Development Application- 6 credits: assuming they haven't implemented changes to this one yet, most people find this one to be hard. I found it incredibly easy if you pass web dev foundations first, but most people transfer that in via Sophia. There's tons of advice on Reddit to help pass this one if you need.
Linux Foundations- 3 credits: this one is LPI Linux Essentials and isn't too expensive if you wanted to transfer it in(there's also a discount if you complete the free course for it through Cisco netacademy).
User Interface Design- 4 credits: this is just a project which isn't too challenging.
Emerging Technology- 2 credits: just a paper. Not too hard 
Networks- 4 credits: Comptia Net+ certification. Most people find this harder than security+.
Network and Security Applications- 4 credits: Comptia Security+ certification.
IT Applications- 4 credits: CompTIA A+ core 2 exam. Make sure you take the same version as your core 1.
Capstone- 4 Credits

As mentioned, taking a cert or 2 would get you some more transfer credits. Be sure to apply to WGU asap(free) and submit your current transcripts to get them evaluated to confirm what you have remaining.
WGU BSIT Complete January 2022
(77CU transferred in)(44/44CU ) 

RA(non WGU)(57cr)
JST/TESU Eval of NAVY Training(85/99cr)
The Institutes, TEEX, NFA(9cr): Ethics, Cyber 101/201/301, Safety
Sophia(60cr): 23 classes
Study.com(31cr): Eng105, Fin102, His108, LibSci101, Math104, Stat101, CS107, CS303, BUS107
CLEP(9cr): Intro Sociology 63 Intro Psych 61 US GOV 71
OD(12cr): Robotics, Cyber, Programming, Microecon
CSM(3cr)
Various IT/Cybersecurity Certifications from: CompTIA, Google, Microsoft, AWS, GIAC, LPI, IBM
CS Fund. MicroBachelor(3cr)
Three things, 1) Create a spreadsheet with the requirements and follow through with the recommendations on the WIKI
2) Review the partners.wgu.edu to see if there are other options other than what's mentioned on the WIKI
3) Link us to your spreadsheet, you should be able to get close to the 90 credits, there are courses that can't transfer
Make the link viewable/not editable to your google/one drive. https://degreeforum.miraheze.org/wiki/Category:WGU
In Progress: Walden MBA | TESU BA Biology & Computer Science
Graduate Certificate: Global Management & Entrepreneurship, ASU (Freebie)

Completed: TESU ASNSM Biology, BSBA (ACBSP Accredited 2017)
Universidad Isabel I: ENEB MBA, Big Data & BI, Digital Marketing & E-Commerce
Certs: 6Sigma/Lean/Scrum, ITIL | Cisco/CompTIA/MTA | Coursera/Edx/Udacity

The Basic Approach | Plans | DegreeForum Community Supported Wiki
~Note~ Read/Review forum posts & Wiki Links to Sample Degree Plans
Degree Planning Advice | New To DegreeForum? How This Area Works

[Image: e7P9EJ4.jpeg]
Thanks, I signed up for the Google UX certification and will try to get that done. My goal is to start classes at WGU in January or February. So I have two to three months to finish all the other work. I work for UPS so starting anything in the next two months is a no go. I may end up going for bachelors degrees in both business and IT, so I have gone through the credit transfer lists on both degrees and made lists of classes needed, completed, and where I can get those classes. I am someone who likes to lay out a plan and then work that plan, so this site has been incredibly helpful in helping with that. I am just trying to find a way to make myself as valuable to a future employer as possible. Since finding this site, sophia, and the possibilities I have helped 4 other people get started on the path to a degree...
That's great, it's good helping others get started as well, since you're on the journey, have them come along with the ride would be like carpooling... UPS is a great option to get cheap/free education with tuition assistance or reimbursement. You can do a term for the BSBA and another term with them for the BSIT as that would be two 6 month terms, practically free with the UPS tuition! You should have created added the addendum and template to your post or thread, so we can help you further... If you didn't know already, TESU and UPS (Amazon, etc) are partners for learning, they also have an option for a freebie degree as well!

(10-26-2023, 10:36 AM)LevelUP Wrote:
(10-26-2023, 06:50 AM)Smgill2282 Wrote: So thanks to a lot of the topics on here I am doing online classes because my profession isnt likely to make it to my retirement. I have spent a lot of time going over all of the options and came up with a plan. I would like to hear from anyone who has gotten the BS in IT at WGU. So far I have finished 66 credits on Sophia, one at ASU, just got notification of graduation with the BOG from Pierpont. I have 5 more classes to take at Sophia that will transfer. Then I will sign up over at Study.com where I will have 4 more classes to take. I am also taking the advanced excel class at ASU in the hopes that it will satisfy the spreadsheets class at WGU. All that said it leaves me with 11 classes and 38 hours to take at WGU. While I cant skip the capstone I was wondering where I could possibly knock out a class or two to get that as close to 30 as possible. So does anyone know if classes at ASU would satisfy any of these? Clep? Or is this a possible to finish these within the 6 month period. I work a lot of hours(like 60 a week), but am motivated to finish this as I have spent 8 weeks for the first 67 credits. TIA

Finite Math- 4 credits
Networks- 4 credits
Capstone- 4 Credits

You can sign up for free till 10/31 for TADA and get the Google UX design cert
https://theamericandreamacademy.org/

You can get other certs that will cost you money but it's worth it if you want to lower your stress when you start WGU and give yourself a good chance to finish in 6 months.
https://degreeforum.miraheze.org/wiki/WG...egree_Plan

Based on how fast you got through your first 67cr, I would bet that you have a 75%+ chance of completing WGU in 6 months. 

Ethics in Technology
Emerging Technology
Spreadsheets

These courses I wouldn't worry about as you can probably pass them in a couple of days.

Network and Security - Applications which is CompTIA Security+ will probably be the hardest cert that may take 2-4 weeks.

One thing you can do for example is prestudy for certs so that when you start WGU you are ready to take the final exam for a cert such as CompTIA Network+. I wouldn't go overboard pre studying for more than 1 or 2 certs.

(10-29-2023, 01:29 PM)bjcheung77 Wrote: That's great, it's good helping others get started as well, since you're on the journey, have them come along with the ride would be like carpooling...  UPS is a great option to get cheap/free education with tuition assistance or reimbursement.  You can do a term for the BSBA and another term with them for the BSIT as that would be two 6 month terms, practically free with the UPS tuition!  You should have created added the addendum and template to your post or thread, so we can help you further... If you didn't know already, TESU and UPS (Amazon, etc) are partners for learning, they also have an option for a freebie degree as well!

Unfortunately when you go full time at UPS the tuition help stops. The tuition reimbursement is only for part time employees and management. I drive semi trucks and while looking at the future see that I am in a field that will cease to exist probably before the end of my career. So I have a plan to set myself up for a better future, hopefully one that doesnt include working 60 hours a week overnights...

However, I just went and looked and I am going to look into it further because I have never seen that. I know my wife used the Union Plus to get a free associates degree. But I had never heard of a partnership with TESU and UPS
(10-29-2023, 12:58 PM)Smgill2282 Wrote: Thanks, I signed up for the Google UX certification and will try to get that done. My goal is to start classes at WGU in January or February. So I have two to three months to finish all the other work. I work for UPS so starting anything in the next two months is a no go. I may end up going for bachelors degrees in both business and IT, so I have gone through the credit transfer lists on both degrees and made lists of classes needed, completed, and where I can get those classes. I am someone who likes to lay out a plan and then work that plan, so this site has been incredibly helpful in helping with that. I am just trying to find a way to make myself as valuable to a future employer as possible. Since finding this site, sophia, and the possibilities I have helped 4 other people get started on the path to a degree...

One suggestion is to apply for WGU now and also apply for their scholarship telling them you plan to start Jan/Feb.  You could get $600+ off your tuition since they give away lots of scholarships.
Degrees: BA Computer Science, BS Business Administration with a concentration in CIS, AS Natural Science & Math, TESU. 4.0 GPA 2022.
Course Experience:  CLEP, Instantcert, Sophia.org, Study.com, Straighterline.com, Onlinedegree.org, Saylor.org, Csmlearn.com, and TEL Learning.
Certifications: W3Schools PHP, Google IT Support, Google Digital Marketing, Google Project Management
[-] The following 1 user Likes LevelUP's post:
  • Smgill2282
Yes, apply to both WGU and TESU, they're free for partnerships, see which one fancies you the most. You can get a double degree at TESU for example, it really depends on what you need/want. Many companies partner with institutions to provide them tuition assistance or reimbursement, they might be part of Bright Horizons (EdAssist) or a competitor such as Guild Education. Here's the TESU partners site: https://www.tesu.edu/partners/corporate-partners

Amazon: https://www.tesu.edu/amazon
UPS: https://www.tesu.edu/ups

Your Location: Florida
Your Age: 41
What kind of degree do you want?: A quick and easy one... lol
Current Regional Accredited Credits: 1

School Name Total Credits: ASU 1 
Class Name, Credits, Grade

CIS194 Business Tech Fundamental 1 4.0

Current ACE, CLEP, or NCCRS Credits: 69

Provider Total Credits: # 69
Class Name, Credits, Grade

Sophia.org-

Anatomy and Physiology
Anatamy and Physiology Lab
Art History 1
Business Communications
Business Law
College Algebra
Critical Thinking
Environmental Science
Financial Accounting
Foundations of Statistics
Intro to Business
Intro to Ethics
Intro to IT
Intro to Nutrition
Intro to Stats
Intro to Web Development
Macroeconomics
Microeconomics
Principles of Finance
Principles of Management
Project Management
US Government
US History
Visual Communications
Workplace Communications

In progress- 
Sophia.org English Comp 1
ASU- Advanced Excel in Business
Coursera- Foundations of UX design

Have already applied for, been accepted to, and set to graduate from Pierpont May 10th.(missed graduating in December by 2 weeks)

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  How do transfer (sophia.org/ACE) credits look on a WGU transcript for grad school? dan087 4 1,077 09-25-2023, 05:01 AM
Last Post: dan087
  15-year-old with master’s degree prepares for law school Imbanewbie 7 1,208 03-11-2023, 12:26 PM
Last Post: dfrecore
  WGU doctorate degree on the horizon? School putting out survey call for an EdD jsd 2 2,195 03-03-2023, 12:51 AM
Last Post: MNomadic
  WGU $2500 Back to School Scholarship LevelUP 1 1,326 08-06-2022, 11:09 AM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  WGU Students - Back up your Google Drive ashkir 4 2,050 07-25-2021, 05:24 PM
Last Post: jsd