Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Google Drive- love this!
A while back I asked a few of you here and on the other board about Google Drive. I'm not especially tech-no. Everyone said they liked it, so I decided to give it a try. It's essentially storage of a document that you send to your Google Drive account (cloud storage) and you can control the viewing audience. So, you can keep it private or allow specific people who have the link to the document to open it, or you can make it public. This allows people like me who don't have a website, to create documents and share them with people. So, I did a practice one last night for fun!

You should be able to access, view, and print all without signing into anything or creating any kind of account. You should not be able to edit it. I don't know if you can share it, but I assume so. Anyway, if this is as cool as I think it is, I can think of many applications!Wink

https://docs.google.com/file/d/0B18AszSc...sp=sharing
I've been using Google Drive/Docs for all of my school work for about a year. Works great on the Samsung Chromebook.
Intro to Computing - 67; Ethics in America - 53; Analyzing & Interpreting Lit - 53; Principles of Management - 58; Lifespan Dev Psyc - 51; Human Resource Management - 46; Info Sys & comp Applications - 61; Principles of Supervision - 47; Human Cultural Geography - 51; Public Speaking - 55; College Mathmatics - 55; College Comp w/essay - 53; Technical Writing - 59;
Google Drive/Docs is the bomb....not the best at anything, but really good at everything and the interoperability among users is excellent. Just about the only software I need for the WGU MBA coursework.
MBA, Western Governors University February 2014
BS Charter Oak State College November 2011
AS in EMS August 2010

I'm always happy to complete the free application waiver for those applying to WGU (I get a free gift from WGU for this).  Just PM me your first/last name and a valid email so I can complete their form.

Thread; COSC AS using FEMA http://www.degreeforum.net/excelsior-tho...total.html
Love my file sharing internet based storage.

If I can offer some alternatives for everyone's consideration, as each will get you more space to use.
box.com 10GB for the free account, and by far my favorite free account. They used to have it where if you signed up through your iphone or android they would give 50GB, which is what I have google to see if they still offer that.
dropbox.com is pretty good too, but only get 2GB.
syncplicity.com -- sorry cant go with out plugging one of the divisions of my company. We use this exclusively internally to share collaboratively around the world. Limited to 2GB for free.

Then for backup, but can be used for a shared drive, I just love backblaze.com, for $5 a month you get UNLIMITED backup, not just for you, but your families computers. on the shear unlikely loss of your entire computers data, you can get an external usb drive shipped to you, so you don't have to try and download everything.
My companies other subsidiary mozy.com is pretty good, but considering that I get a free 50GB account, and I still choose backblaze should say alot.
It's mainly because I have about 8000GB of data among all my servers, laptops, and other home stuff, so 50GB doesn't go very far.

And for simple note taking that automatically gets synced is evernote.com, this is simply the best darn app I have right now. All my business notes are in separate notebooks from my class stuff, but it's all still synchronized, I dont even have to think about it, give it a try.
DSST- General Anthropology - 52, Intro to Computer - 469, Technical Writing - 54, DSST Ethics in America - 59 (1996),
CLEP- Sociology -54, College Math - 550(1996), CLEP Principles of Management - 60 (1996)
Aleks Beg Alg,
scorched Wrote:Love my file sharing internet based storage.

If I can offer some alternatives for everyone's consideration, as each will get you more space to use.
box.com 10GB for the free account, and by far my favorite free account. They used to have it where if you signed up through your iphone or android they would give 50GB, which is what I have google to see if they still offer that.
syncplicity.com -- sorry cant go with out plugging one of the divisions of my company. We use this exclusively internally to share collaboratively around the world. Limited to 2GB for free.

Then for backup, but can be used for a shared drive, I just love backblaze.com, for $5 a month you get UNLIMITED backup, not just for you, but your families computers. on the shear unlikely loss of your entire computers data, you can get an external usb drive shipped to you, so you don't have to try and download everything.
My companies other subsidiary mozy.com is pretty good, but considering that I get a free 50GB account, and I still choose backblaze should say alot.
It's mainly because I have about 8000GB of data among all my servers, laptops, and other home stuff, so 50GB doesn't go very far.

And for simple note taking that automatically gets synced is evernote.com, this is simply the best darn app I have right now. All my business notes are in separate notebooks from my class stuff, but it's all still synchronized, I dont even have to think about it, give it a try.

Yeah, uhhh, um. Bless yur heart. Smile Thanks though!!
Jen that seriously cracked me up.
At least check out evernote, its free and is a good note taking program.
DSST- General Anthropology - 52, Intro to Computer - 469, Technical Writing - 54, DSST Ethics in America - 59 (1996),
CLEP- Sociology -54, College Math - 550(1996), CLEP Principles of Management - 60 (1996)
Aleks Beg Alg,
scorched Wrote:Love my file sharing internet based storage.

Google upped my drive to 100GB when I bought a chromebook laptop. And they have a note taking app called Keep that saved to Drive. I went all in on google a few years back: Phone, tablet, laptop, cloud services.
Intro to Computing - 67; Ethics in America - 53; Analyzing & Interpreting Lit - 53; Principles of Management - 58; Lifespan Dev Psyc - 51; Human Resource Management - 46; Info Sys & comp Applications - 61; Principles of Supervision - 47; Human Cultural Geography - 51; Public Speaking - 55; College Mathmatics - 55; College Comp w/essay - 53; Technical Writing - 59;
Yeah I run most google apps as well, but keep is marginal for note taking and works on the web or android only.
I don't consider it viable for school or work.
Evernote runs on windows, mac, android, iphone, and web, no matter which of my devices i am on, evernote has it sync'd.
You can set up check box for todo lists, reminders, tables for data, it can also voice record, take pictures, and attach other files.
Almost forgot, it gives you this weird email, that anything you send to that email gets recorded as a note.
It also supports separate notebooks for different topics or however you want divided it up.
And it has conflict control should you or your family accidentally try and modify the same note at the same time.
It will keep both copies and show a date and time of the conflict for you to sort it out, or even keep both as separate copies.

Just a suggestion to try, i think it's worth the free account to check it out.
Aleks Beg Alg,
cookderosa Wrote:Yeah, uhhh, um. Bless yur heart. Smile Thanks though!!

:iagree: I can't even get the file to open I can see the title but it wants me to download something. I used to be very computer literate, these days I feel like a real Luddite.

I will have to ask my computer Guru husband about this tomorrow. Hey at least I download and share library books with all4 of the kindles on my Amazon account.LOL
Linda

Start by doing what is necessary: then do the possible; and suddenly you are doing the impossible  St Francis of Assisi

Now a retired substitute Teacher in NY, & SC

AA Liberal Studies TESC '08
BA in Natural Science/Mathematics TESC Sept '10
AAS Environmental safety and Security Technology TESC  Dec '12
Google Docs is excellent for collaborating on team projects, and it does a good job of helping you keep track of who's doing what. It's also handy for viewing PowerPoint files on computers that don't have presentation software installed. If collaboration isn't as important, though, Dropbox is another site that's worth a try.
Course clear! You got a card.

Analyzing & Interpreting Literature 72|American Government 71|Introductory Sociology 63|Humanities 70|College Composition 60|U.S. History II 67|Principles of Marketing 73|Principles of Macroeconomics 67|Principles of Microeconomics 66|U.S. History I 74|College Mathematics 68|Information Systems & Computer Applications 68|College Algebra 56|Biology 63|Financial Accounting 65

B.A.S. IT Management, Class of 2015
MBA, Class of 2017

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  24yr Google Engineer Saves 80% Of His Income & Plans to Retire by 30 With $1 Million LevelUP 13 1,462 03-09-2022, 03:19 AM
Last Post: Messdiener
  [Google Play] "Human" Documentary Movie FREE *Rental* bjcheung77 0 661 07-19-2021, 07:47 PM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  MathLand Full Version - Math for the kids! (Google Play) bjcheung77 0 909 12-04-2020, 03:37 PM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  Cousera Google offers $150 to complete IT Support Cert graduatesoon 15 3,630 02-29-2020, 08:10 PM
Last Post: armstrongsubero
  Google IT Support Professional Certificate: Possibly Free eriehiker 1 1,695 02-22-2018, 10:40 PM
Last Post: cardiacclep
  Did you ever google your user name? Lindagerr 9 1,923 06-04-2015, 03:06 PM
Last Post: Lindagerr
  Help VIA Google Hangouts geissingert 0 632 12-17-2014, 07:59 PM
Last Post: geissingert
  What do you drive? mrs.b 29 2,728 04-05-2014, 04:56 PM
Last Post: dewisant
  Free phone service SipGate+Google voice rickyjo 11 2,863 12-23-2010, 04:53 PM
Last Post: Maniac Craniac
  I.C. Test-Drive & Review [kinda long] grauwulf 5 1,210 09-20-2010, 04:11 PM
Last Post: grauwulf