Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Capitalizing adjectives that define colors
(02-10-2021, 02:48 PM)bluebooger Wrote:
(02-09-2021, 11:24 PM)Seagull Wrote: https://www.nytimes.com/2020/07/05/insid...black.html

Quote:Then there are those troubled that our policy will now capitalize 'Black' but not 'white.'
The Times also looked at whether to capitalize white and brown in reference to race, but both will remain lowercase.
white doesn't represent a shared culture and history in the way Black does,

what a load of garbage  
and that last sentence is so racist, yet they don't even see it

Totally.  "Black" is not a race or culture or shared history - because there are lots of black people in this country who emigrated from different countries more recently, and they certainly do NOT have a shared history with someone who has lived here his/her whole life.  I would also point out that someone who grew up in the projects in Chicago will have a different shared history/culture than someone who grew up in middle-class California, which will be different than someone who grew up wealthy in Atlanta; or if you grow up with a single parent vs. a 2-parent household; or an abusive parent vs. a loving family; or a large family vs a small one.  There is no single way to be "black" in this country, and it's disgusting to lump everyone together like that.  "Black" is not a homogenous group of people - each person is different, and trying to put every black person in a box is as dehumanizing as overt racism (it's just "soft" racism instead.
TESU BSBA/HR 2018 - WVNCC BOG AAS 2017 - GGU Cert in Mgmt 2000
EXAMS: TECEP Tech Wrtg, Comp II, LA Math, PR, Computers  DSST Computers, Pers Fin  CLEP Mgmt, Mktg
COURSES: TESU Capstone  Study.com Pers Fin, Microecon, Stats  Ed4Credit Acct 2  PF Fin Mgmt  ALEKS Int & Coll Alg  Sophia Proj Mgmt The Institutes - Ins Ethics  Kaplan PLA
Where I see it being used most often is as a weapon. "Black" will be capitalized, "white" will not be. It is a tool meant to degrade, divide, and/or virtue-signal. As said above, it is dehumanizing. Like so many of the dehumanizing efforts we have had thrust upon us over the last year.
College (146): RA (134), NA (12)
ACE-recommended (105): Sophia (53), Study (28), Google (12), TEEX (10), Institutes (2)
ECTS (69): ENEB (65), LUT (2), XAMK (2)
IN PROGRESS:

Certificate- Google Data Analytics
Bachelor- Cybersecurity Technology (105/120) /
 Organizational Leadership (99/120)
Certification- CompTIA A+
DONE:
Certificate- Google IT Support

Associates- Business Administration /  BoG (History)
Undergrad certificate- Computer Networking
MBA
I have mixed thoughts on this. In my opinion, there are occasions when it's reasonable to capitalize it and occasions when it isn't, even with regard to people.

"Hispanic" is capitalized, yes? And while it's true that "black" isn't, in itself, a culture, it CAN be. For instance, my cousin-in-law is black. IMO, that shouldn't be capitalized. It's a simple description, and shouldn't be treated as different from saying her hair is black or curly, or that another cousin's hair is red.

But in America, in particular, there IS a subculture that doesn't really have any other name, besides "Black." IMO, it makes sense for this to be capitalized -- like we would "Cajun." The difficulty is the boundaries between the two (black as description and black as title of a culture) are sometimes fuzzy.
-Rachel

BS in Interdiscipl. Studies (Health Sci. + Beh. Sci. [Coaching] + Business) at Liberty U

Liberty U: 36 cred finished

LU ICE exam:
4 cred
Christopher Newport U:
2 cred
Amer. Coll. of Healthcare Sciences: 52 cred (+14 non-transferable)
Study.com: Pers Fin, Amer Gov
Shmoop: Bible as Lit, Lit in Media
SL: Bus. Ethics, IT Fundamentals, Intro to Religion, Intro to Comm, Intro to Sociology, Surv of World History, Engl Comp I&II

TECEP: Intro to Critical Reasoning (didn't transfer)
ALEKS: Intro Stats
[-] The following 1 user Likes a2jc4life's post:
  • StoicJ
The intent, especially when it is from the liberal media is always divisive not to unite.

Most of the citizens in US nowadays are second generation or even first generation immigrants with zero ties to the history of the country.

Neither has a claim nor should be burdened by its history.

It would be the perfect environment for healing.
(02-10-2021, 10:36 PM)Seagull Wrote: The intent, especially when it is from the liberal media is always divisive not to unite.

Most of the citizens in US nowadays are second generation or even first generation immigrants with zero ties to the history of the country.

Most of the citizens in the US are not 1st or 2nd generation immigrants.  It's less than 20% combined.  Most people here have been here for many, many generations.
EXAMS: TECEP Tech Wrtg, Comp II, LA Math, PR, Computers  DSST Computers, Pers Fin  CLEP Mgmt, Mktg
COURSES: TESU Capstone  Study.com Pers Fin, Microecon, Stats  Ed4Credit Acct 2  PF Fin Mgmt  ALEKS Int & Coll Alg  Sophia Proj Mgmt The Institutes - Ins Ethics  Kaplan PLA
(02-10-2021, 10:58 PM)dfrecore Wrote:
(02-10-2021, 10:36 PM)Seagull Wrote: The intent, especially when it is from the liberal media is always divisive not to unite.

Most of the citizens in the US are not 1st or 2nd generation immigrants.  It's less than 20% combined.  Most people here have been here for many, many generation
Democrats have let millions of immigrants in for the last 30 or more years.

I think it is more than 20% 

3 out of 5 people I meet here and there have not been here more than 3 generations.
It's really quite easy to find the actual numbers on immigration.  It seems that approximately 14% of the population is foreign-born.
Quick Immigration Statistics: United States > The Immigrant Learning Center (ilctr.org)
(02-10-2021, 11:56 PM)Seagull Wrote:
(02-10-2021, 10:58 PM)dfrecore Wrote:

Most of the citizens in the US are not 1st or 2nd generation immigrants.  It's less than 20% combined.  Most people here have been here for many, many generation
Democrats have let millions of immigrants in for the last 30 or more years.

I think it is more than 20% 

3 out of 5 people I meet here and there have not been here more than 3 generations.

You said "most" are 1st or 2nd generation, that's simply not true.  Even if you doubled my numbers, it would still be less than 40%, and I don't think I'm wrong by that much.

Most of the people I personally know were born and raised here, along with their parents, grandparents, etc.  Many generations. Your personal experience is different.  That just means that we come across different people.  And it's why I looked up the numbers rather than just going by anecdotal evidence.
Definitely depends on the circles you're in. My mother is something like 4th generation. (Her family immigrated right around 1900.) My dad's family has been here since before the Revolution. My next-door neighbors were born in El Salvador. That's a pretty wide variation across just a few people.
-Rachel

BS in Interdiscipl. Studies (Health Sci. + Beh. Sci. [Coaching] + Business) at Liberty U

Liberty U: 36 cred finished

LU ICE exam:
4 cred
Christopher Newport U:
2 cred
Amer. Coll. of Healthcare Sciences: 52 cred (+14 non-transferable)
Study.com: Pers Fin, Amer Gov
Shmoop: Bible as Lit, Lit in Media
SL: Bus. Ethics, IT Fundamentals, Intro to Religion, Intro to Comm, Intro to Sociology, Surv of World History, Engl Comp I&II

TECEP: Intro to Critical Reasoning (didn't transfer)
ALEKS: Intro Stats