Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Graduation Approved - (Bonus - How I did it)
I held off announcing anything when I applied for graduation, but I just received the official email...I have been approved for graduation in March from Thomas Edison (BS Business Administration). I have been a long time viewer of this forum and it would have never been possible without everyone's help. I honestly never needed to message previously because all of the answers and degree plans were available (if I simply looked or used the search function). In addition to this forum, I utilized the wiki page extensively to gain information regarding my degree plan, applicable tests, and the transfer equivalency from Saylor and Penn Foster.

I need to give special thanks to my biggest motivators and mentors (even though they didn't know it): sanantone, bricabrac, cookderosa, rebel100, and mednat. Your stories of success and answers to forum members made all the difference. sanantone was my personal student advisor (unknowingly), and I followed the pre and post 2015 degree plans closely (only having differences due to previously earned credit at brick and mortar schools). rebel100 and mednat have me in the application stage at WGU for an MBA (also unbeknownst to them).

Once I decided to finally commit my energy to this endeavor, I made a significant dent in my degree plan (covering approximately 60 credits from July 1 2015 - January 4th 2016; 6 months).

I actually moved to China in December 2015 which complicated the process significantly. This means that I had sporadic and slow (for my standards) internet, and it was mixed with limited website options due to the Great Firewall regulations here. The major downside is that TESU and other webpages use Google Images for captcha codes in order to make sure you aren't a robot; unfortunately Google images are blocked by the government here. This means that I could only login once I found the direct link to the Moodle login page (which thankfully didn't have captcha verification). Most people won't need to do captcha but it is required if your computer is coming from a China IP address. Double edged sword since it only happens for China but the images cannot be seen in China. Also, ProctorU had to complete an alternate monitoring process for three TECEPs. Basically, they could use LogMeIn to monitor the screen (like normal), but the video conference wasn't able to work because the connection wasn't strong enough. I was patient with the proctor and eventually they suggested working with the IT team. They transferred the session and the IT group setup an AOL video chat session instead of the normal one (seems to use less bandwidth). Everyone was great considering the circumstances. Also, during the test I would get messaged via chat every 30 minutes to ask me to refresh the video since the connection had timed out.

For anyone interested, my testing strategy was to take the course or test quickly and consider a retest if necessary. I work in upper management so I felt confident that study time wouldn't be needed for many of the credits. This saved me a ton of time but certainly resulted in disappointment on a couple tests. Regardless, I knew what backups were available and pre-scheduled those (just in case). As an example, I needed to pass 2 TECEPs to graduate so I signed up for 4. TECEPs require you to register with the normal course start dates and schedule, and I didn't want to risk a delay of one or two months if I failed (and needed to take TECEP 3 and 4). I had a little flexibility here because the 6 credits were needed to fill the broad requirements for the Specialization section. Also, I took a lot of Straighterline courses over a two week "vacation" from work. I signed up for 11 courses total, and I took the first 5 in Week #1. Basically, I would immediately schedule the ProctorU tests for all 5 classes at the end of Week #1 and then spend the next 5-6 days cramming through all of the material and quizzes. After sitting for 5 tests in one day (from home of course)...I signed up for 6 more classes and repeated the same process in Week #2. Oh...I also signed up for the two Penn Foster courses in Week #2 of vacation so that the materials would arrive immediately after I was done with Straighterline.

Data point on graduation - I applied for graduation on approximately December 28th 2015 (the deadline is Jan 1) but I was still 6 credits short of completion. TESU states that you need to be done or at the end of your class when you apply, but I took a chance. I knew that the school was on vacation until the 4th or 5th of January which gave me a small window to complete the last courses. I had signed up for the 4 TECEPs to start in the January semester, and I immediately scheduled the ProctorU exams just after midnight on Jan 4th (when the classes opened). My hope was that even if they looked at my application on the first day back from vacation...I would still qualify for graduation since I had hopefully passed the TECEPs a few hours earlier. I was able to pass TECEPs 2 and 3 to finish the degree and the auditor never questioned why my application for graduation occurred before my final "semester" even started.

The important tips (for anyone that is stagnant like I was prior to July): Start now...today. Stop reviewing options and degree plans. Stop dreaming about dual degrees and graduate degrees. Stop wondering if one test is 1% easier than another that fulfills the same requirement. Go to the Wiki page...find your degree plan under sanantone's plans...start scheduling the exams...study...take the exams (don't worry about retests or replacements until you even know if you have failed one time). Dreaming and planning will feel like working on your degree but it is a trick - you need to actually be completing tests and credits. Don't worry about additional degrees or dual degrees until you have the first one (dual bachelors aren't really worth the time over a graduate degree anyway). In the past months, I have seen way too many people post and repost questions to obscure issues, and they constantly ask for more degree plan feedback (and they modify their degree plan or major). After six months, they are still figuring out how to make it perfect before truly starting...and I am done with my degree. I am not judging (because that was once me too), but just think where you could be six months from now if you stop trying to spin your wheels on things that aren't moving you closer to your graduation date.

Here is the ultimate result (plus a ton of wasted credits from my early years of college). Please feel free to ask about any of them and I will try to remember enough to respond. This post will hopefully benefit at least one person, and I will do my best to pay back the help that I received with honest answers.

Saylor - Principles of Marketing, Corporate Communications
CLEP - Social Sciences and History, Humanities
Straighterline - Business Communications, Macroeconomics (Econ I), Microeconomics (Econ II), Organizational Behavior, Intro Biology, Business Law, Business Ethics, Accounting I, Accounting II, Managerial Accounting, Business Statistics, Financial Accounting, Principles Management, Intro Business, Intro Religion, Western Civ I
TECEP - Public Relations Thought & Practice, Sales Management, English Composition II, Business in Society
Penn Foster - Strategic Business Management, Financial Management
TESU Online Courses - Introduction to Computing, Living in the Information Age, Global Environmental Change
Other University and Community College Courses - 38 credits (most are Aviation or History Courses)
Marine Corps Institute Education Credits - 36 credits (Spread across approx 20 topics)
Total - 170 credits

Didn't Pass - Business Statistics (Saylor), Operations Management (TECEP) by 1 question

Thank you again everyone for the support and effort to provide a top quality guidance/knowledge site!
Congratulations!!

"Dreaming and planning will feel like working on your degree but it is a trick - you need to actually be completing tests and credits. Don't worry about additional degrees or dual degrees until you have the first one "

That's great advice!
Congrats! Can't agree more on simply getting started. I'm on the home stretch and it feels good (even though my work schedule and this capstone course are kicking my butt!)
NanoDegree: Intro to Self-Driving Cars (2019)
Coursera: Stanford Machine Learning (2019)
TESU: BA in Comp Sci (2016)
TECEP:Env Ethics (2015); TESU PLA:Software Eng, Computer Arch, C++, Advanced C++, Data Struct (2015); TESU Courses:Capstone, Database Mngmnt Sys, Op Sys, Artificial Intel, Discrete Math, Intro to Portfolio Dev, Intro PLA (2014-16); DSST:Anthro, Pers Fin, Astronomy (2014); CLEP:Intro to Soc (2014); Saylor.org:Intro to Computers (2014); CC: 69 units (1980-88)

PLA Tips Thread - TESU: What is in a Portfolio?
Congratulations!
Congratulations! It's awesome to see such dedication and determination. I definitely agree with the advice of just start knocking out credits. It's really easy to get overwhelmed with the planning aspect, but getting out there and knocking out credits is the best way to move forward.

Good luck with your masters, I think you'll enjoy wgu!
Currently studying for: Still deciding.

Done!
2020 - Harvard Extension School - ALM IT Management 
2019 - Harvard Extension School - Graduate Certificate Data Science
2018 - Harvard Extension School - Graduate Certificate Cyber Security
2016 - WGU - MBA Mgmt & Strategy
2015 - Thomas Edison State College - BSBA Marketing & CIS
Congratulations!cheersmate
TESU BSBA General Mgmt 6/10/16 Wink
TESU: TECEP Public Relations Thought & Practice - 82
Penn Foster: Financial Mgmt 94, International Business 97, Strategic Mgmt 98, Corporate Finance 99, Consumer Behavior 95, Human Resource Mgmt 99
Saylor: Business Law & Ethics 82, Corporate Communication 76, Principles of Marketing 72
Sophia: Intro to Sociology 90, Conflict Resolution 87, Project Mgmt 88
Straighterline: Principles of Mgmt 94, Organizational Behavior 88, American Government 92
The Institutes: Ethics and the CPU Code of Professional Conduct (free 2 CR)

COSC - Associate of Science Honors General Studies 2014
COSC - Cornerstone - A
Straighterline: Into to Religions A, Business Ethics B, West. Civ. I B, Intro to Env. Science B
CLEP: A&I Literature - 69
Congratulations! What a fantastic testimony.
cookderosa Wrote:"Dreaming and planning will feel like working on your degree but it is a trick - you need to actually be completing tests and credits. Don't worry about additional degrees or dual degrees until you have the first one "

That's great advice!

Agreed! I will take it for myself, if you don't mind. Smile
Impressive! Congratulations!! cheersmate Thanks for sharing your experience, I'm sure current and future students will benefit. Good luck with your master's program!

"Setting a goal is not the main thing. It is deciding how you will go about achieving it and staying with that plan." -Tom Landry

TESC:
AAS, Admin Studies. 2010
BA, Social Sciences. 2010. Arnold Fletcher Award.
AAS, Environmental, Safety & Security Technologies. 2011
BSBA, General Management. 2011. Arnold Fletcher Award. Sigma Beta Delta (ΣΒΔWink!
Congrats and really excellent job on planning the work and working the plan. Love the redundancies built into it.
-Dina
DBA - researching options currently (if you have any wisdom to share, please do!)
MBA - Management & Strategy, WGU, July 2016
BSBA - Operations Management, TESU, Sept. 2015
AAS - Dietetic Technology, Middlesex County College, May 1999
Congratulations! 60 credits in 6 months thats impressive.
Seton Hall University - MA HRTD
Thomas Edison State University - BSBA GM in progress
Thomas Edison State College - BA CJ
Thomas Edison State College - AAS ESST
Middlesex County College - AS CJ

NJ PTC
New Jersey Regional Community Police Institute
Methods of Instruction

TEEX
Cyber Security for Everyone
Cyber Security for IT Professionals
Cyber Security for Business Professionals

Sophia
Accounting

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  TESU graduation dates tobyisking 19 5,394 09-07-2018, 10:00 AM
Last Post: triforce828
  TESU - Applying for Graduation dexter1326 3 1,693 09-07-2018, 08:43 AM
Last Post: rlw74
  Have the audits for September graduation (TESU) happened yet? leland.kirk 6 1,983 08-27-2018, 01:32 PM
Last Post: leland.kirk
  TESU September Graduation: Adding extra courses to transcript by latest 08/31/2018? Nightmoves5 7 2,094 08-19-2018, 01:03 PM
Last Post: davewill
  June graduation Paramedic12 3 1,185 06-19-2018, 12:04 PM
Last Post: TacticalTechie
  Can I go ahead and get the residency waiver and graduation fee taken care of? leland.kirk 35 6,203 06-12-2018, 11:29 AM
Last Post: MSK9
  TESU transcript post graduation Paramedic12 5 2,047 05-31-2018, 11:34 PM
Last Post: dfrecore
  TESU Graduation Audit Timeline & Missing course dfrecore 8 2,025 05-28-2018, 11:36 AM
Last Post: mudball
  When is the "conferral date" for graduation at TESU? leland.kirk 2 1,330 05-25-2018, 09:11 AM
Last Post: Johmford
  June graduation Paramedic12 3 1,333 05-17-2018, 08:44 AM
Last Post: Paramedic12