Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Graduation audit questions
Hey everyone, I have a very specific / odd question for anyone who may know the answer. If not, i will call TESU and try to get ahold of one of the admissions staff... just thought i would try here first.

When i was younger (maybe 10 years ago) i had enrolled in community college, but wasn't able to attend because my job at the time changed their mind and wouldn't work around my schedule for classes. I attended only one day of class and then had to withdraw. 

Fast forward a decade later and I had my legal name changed, first and last, so i have a totally different name - but the same SSN....

My question is, do i have to try to get ahold of these transcripts from that college i withdrew from, in order to graduate from TESU. I am concerned about it because I don't know how i will be able to get the transcripts since all my ID's have long since had my revised names on them. I don't have anything to show I am that person i 'used' to be when I enrolled at the community college... weird situation i know...

thanks in advance
(05-21-2019, 11:11 AM)saraholson Wrote: Hey everyone, I have a very specific / odd question for anyone who may know the answer. If not, i will call TESU and try to get ahold of one of the admissions staff... just thought i would try here first.

When i was younger (maybe 10 years ago) i had enrolled in community college, but wasn't able to attend because my job at the time changed their mind and wouldn't work around my schedule for classes. I attended only one day of class and then had to withdraw. 

Fast forward a decade later and I had my legal name changed, first and last, so i have a totally different name - but the same SSN....

My question is, do i have to try to get ahold of these transcripts from that college i withdrew from, in order to graduate from TESU. I am concerned about it because I don't know how i will be able to get the transcripts since all my ID's have long since had my revised names on them. I don't have anything to show I am that person i 'used' to be when I enrolled at the community college... weird situation i know...

thanks in advance

You don't have a birth certificate?  Or any paperwork to show the name change?

I know when I have to do mine (just middle & last name changed), I show my original birth certificate and then my marriage certificate (I think I had to show these to get passports for my kids).

I imagine there will come some other times in life when you have to show your original name?
TESU BSBA/HR 2018 - WVNCC BOG AAS 2017 - GGU Cert in Mgmt 2000
EXAMS: TECEP Tech Wrtg, Comp II, LA Math, PR, Computers  DSST Computers, Pers Fin  CLEP Mgmt, Mktg
COURSES: TESU Capstone  Study.com Pers Fin, Microecon, Stats  Ed4Credit Acct 2  PF Fin Mgmt  ALEKS Int & Coll Alg  Sophia Proj Mgmt The Institutes - Ins Ethics  Kaplan PLA
(05-21-2019, 11:34 AM)dfrecore Wrote:
(05-21-2019, 11:11 AM)saraholson Wrote: Hey everyone, I have a very specific / odd question for anyone who may know the answer. If not, i will call TESU and try to get ahold of one of the admissions staff... just thought i would try here first.

thanks in advance

I know when I have to do mine (just middle & last name changed), I show my original birth certificate and then my marriage certificate (I think I had to show these to get passports for my kids).

I imagine there will come some other times in life when you have to show your original name?

Normally I just show my letter from the court that authorized my name change. That's what I use for the DPS and all those other places to get my documents changed. But the old community college doesn't accept this and requires a photo ID with the name I used when i was in college.
(05-21-2019, 11:39 AM)saraholson Wrote:
(05-21-2019, 11:34 AM)dfrecore Wrote:

thanks in advance

Normally I just show my letter from the court that authorized my name change. That's what I use for the DPS and all those other places to get my documents changed. But the old community college doesn't accept this and requires a photo ID with the name I used when i was in college.

That's just silly.  I don't have any photo ID's with my name I used in college!  Someone there is misinformed; I would try to do it online or something else.  Or else take it higher up.  They can't expect people to keep old expired ID's for 10 years or more.
EXAMS: TECEP Tech Wrtg, Comp II, LA Math, PR, Computers  DSST Computers, Pers Fin  CLEP Mgmt, Mktg
COURSES: TESU Capstone  Study.com Pers Fin, Microecon, Stats  Ed4Credit Acct 2  PF Fin Mgmt  ALEKS Int & Coll Alg  Sophia Proj Mgmt The Institutes - Ins Ethics  Kaplan PLA
It depends. If you completely withdrew from the school in a way that leaves no transcript, then you might be OK. If you just withdrew from the courses and still have a student record and transcripts with Ws, then you do. That old school will come up in a search that any school will do before letting you graduate. Some schools will do that search before letting you enroll, but others wait until graduation time.

It usually isn't that hard to order transcripts. Just giving the right name and social security number is usually enough. You might even be able to do it online.
NanoDegree: Intro to Self-Driving Cars (2019)
Coursera: Stanford Machine Learning (2019)
TESU: BA in Comp Sci (2016)
TECEP:Env Ethics (2015); TESU PLA:Software Eng, Computer Arch, C++, Advanced C++, Data Struct (2015); TESU Courses:Capstone, Database Mngmnt Sys, Op Sys, Artificial Intel, Discrete Math, Intro to Portfolio Dev, Intro PLA (2014-16); DSST:Anthro, Pers Fin, Astronomy (2014); CLEP:Intro to Soc (2014); Saylor.org:Intro to Computers (2014); CC: 69 units (1980-88)

PLA Tips Thread - TESU: What is in a Portfolio?
(05-21-2019, 11:42 AM)davewill Wrote: It depends. If you completely withdrew from the school in a way that leaves no transcript, then you might be OK. If you just withdrew from the courses and still have a student record and transcripts with Ws, then you do. That old school will come up in a search that any school will do before letting you graduate. Some schools will do that search before letting you enroll, but other wait until graduation time.

It usually isn't that hard to order transcripts. Just giving the right name and social security number is usually enough. You might even be able to do it online.

The rules they have are kind of a catch-22. I can't order my transcript online without my student ID #. I can't get my student ID# without submitting a scan of a valid photo ID (in my old name). Can't be expired. I actually HAVE an old expired one, lol. They would not take it.

So I am just kind of getting bounced around like a ping pong ball.... gonna keep trying
(05-21-2019, 11:54 AM)saraholson Wrote:
(05-21-2019, 11:42 AM)davewill Wrote: It depends. If you completely withdrew from the school in a way that leaves no transcript, then you might be OK. If you just withdrew from the courses and still have a student record and transcripts with Ws, then you do. That old school will come up in a search that any school will do before letting you graduate. Some schools will do that search before letting you enroll, but other wait until graduation time.

The rules they have are kind of a catch-22. I can't order my transcript online without my student ID #. I can't get my student ID# without submitting a scan of a valid photo ID (in my old name). Can't be expired. I actually HAVE an old expired one, lol. They would not take it.

So I am just kind of getting bounced around like a ping pong ball.... gonna keep trying

Yeah, this has to get escalated, and to a person with a brain.  OMG!
(05-21-2019, 12:41 PM)dfrecore Wrote:
(05-21-2019, 11:54 AM)saraholson Wrote:

Yeah, this has to get escalated, and to a person with a brain.  OMG!

A lady I spoke to suggested I just print out the paper transcript request and mail it in, and 'see what happens'. Couldn't hurt to try.... you never know. I know that they do tend to put people on the phones who are not very experienced and it can be pretty hard to ever get anybody who knows what they're talking about, on the actual phone. So maybe mailing it in would put it in the hands of the person who could really help me. I'm glad i started chasing this down now, because it may take me until next year's graduation to actually get it solved. Lol Sad
You may have to go through the hassle of changing your name on their records...which will probably mean sending a copy of your current ID, plus documentation of your new name.
NanoDegree: Intro to Self-Driving Cars (2019)
Coursera: Stanford Machine Learning (2019)
TESU: BA in Comp Sci (2016)
TECEP:Env Ethics (2015); TESU PLA:Software Eng, Computer Arch, C++, Advanced C++, Data Struct (2015); TESU Courses:Capstone, Database Mngmnt Sys, Op Sys, Artificial Intel, Discrete Math, Intro to Portfolio Dev, Intro PLA (2014-16); DSST:Anthro, Pers Fin, Astronomy (2014); CLEP:Intro to Soc (2014); Saylor.org:Intro to Computers (2014); CC: 69 units (1980-88)

PLA Tips Thread - TESU: What is in a Portfolio?
[-] The following 1 user Likes davewill's post:
  • saraholson
None of the above. This is completely the same as requesting a transcript from any college with or without a name change, with or without a degree, one credit or 100.

Go to your CC website and find their "request transcript" form. Follow the process for requesting a transcript. It might cost $5 but you need to do this so TESU has it in your record. At some point during your graduation audit, you're going to have to sign something that states you've given them all your prior transcripts - that's a small thing with big consequences.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Questions regarding IDSS (through the MITx micromaster for data science path) blablablox 0 178 03-06-2024, 09:58 AM
Last Post: blablablox
  7 years later - College graduation... bjcheung77 0 334 05-20-2023, 02:09 PM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  5 Random Questions [LOR, Pell, SNHU, etc] omicreativedev 5 743 01-07-2023, 04:03 AM
Last Post: rachel83az
  TESU Questions midnite123 18 1,264 12-12-2022, 02:52 AM
Last Post: midnite123
  Sophia.org Questions midnite123 37 2,639 09-20-2022, 06:32 PM
Last Post: midnite123
  Coopersmith - Course questions disney_day_dreamer 2 757 07-12-2022, 04:46 PM
Last Post: disney_day_dreamer
Question Graduation Rate for DegreeForum Members? LevelUP 9 1,074 06-14-2022, 08:43 AM
Last Post: Pats20
  College Graduation Statistics Alpha 7 972 05-20-2022, 06:53 PM
Last Post: LevelUP
  College Stories: Florida Students Share Their (Sometimes) Rocky Roads to Graduation LevelUP 0 432 04-23-2022, 10:48 AM
  5 Questions to Answer When Creating a Positive Online Presence for College Acceptance LevelUP 0 416 03-19-2022, 02:55 PM