Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
HELP!! Can't find a decent DSST testing site in Western NY
I guess I was spoiled by Western NJ we had so many testing sites within a 90 minute drive I could pick and choice my favorites. I just moved to the Buffalo are and the only site that administers DSST charges $140 and I am not sure if that includes the $80 to Dantes and to top it off they only offer the PENCIL and PAPER test. There must be 100 college campuses within an hours drive and I can only find one that offers DSST. If anyone knows of another PLEASE let me know. I only need one DSST to finish my AAS but I will need 5 DSST to earn my BA in Social Science.
Linda

Start by doing what is necessary: then do the possible; and suddenly you are doing the impossible  St Francis of Assisi

Now a retired substitute Teacher in NY, & SC

AA Liberal Studies TESC '08
BA in Natural Science/Mathematics TESC Sept '10
AAS Environmental safety and Security Technology TESC  Dec '12
I am assuming that you have already checked the listing of supposed DSST test centers from the getcollegecredit website. Have you called the various sites that are listed not only in the Buffalo area but also the Rochester area? I know that there are errors in listing certain colleges as testing centers only to find out they should not be on the list after all. For instance, I saw that Niagara County Community College (in Sanborn) is listed. Someone asked about whether they offer the CLEP tests in a FAQ section and I see the response addresses "CLEP/DANTES" together, making it sound like they think these are one and the same! I would actually call and speak with someone to verify that they truly do not offer the DSST exams since they are on the test center list.

If you have not already contacted them, I would suggest Houghton College (2 locations that are certainly driveable from Buffalo), Roberts Wesleyan (in Rochester; their website specifically mentions a contact name with email and phone), RIT, and SUNY-Empire State (location in Cheektowaga).

Good luck and I hope you can find something that is more affordable. I would suggest you checking out the Pittsburgh and Cleveland areas as it appears there are some sites there, but by the time you add in the gas it would take to drive back and forth, you might as well pay the $140 at Medaille (and yes, I would assume that includes both the $80 test fee and their sitting/admin fee) -- ouch!
fwiw, this listed DSST center at a private vocational school is under two hours from the Peace Bridge in good traffic, on the way to Toronto, and across the street from the 1.6 million sq ft Square One Shopping Centre:

TRIOS COLLEGE
55 CITY CENTER DRIVE, SUITE 200
MISSISSAUGA, ONTARIO L5B 1M3
CANADA
905-949-4955
MISSISSAUGA, ONTARIO, INTL
triOS College - Home

Caution: Talpiot College in midtown Toronto is listed as a DSST center, but they may only offer the exams to their own students, as they do CLEPs. That's it for listed centers in Ontario.
You can also contact DSST directly and explain the problem. I know in certain circumstances they will allow you to find a proctor and another testing location. It might be worth a phone call. If not it may be worth a drive home to visit family and test there. Just double up on your exams and make it worth the drive.
Completed 2/09 - 5/13

RHIA Post-Bac Cert - Stephens - 5/13
MHA - Bellevue Univ - 3/12
BSHS - Excelsior 12/10
BSLS - Excelsior 3/10
ASLS - Excelsior 4/09

ECE - A&P - B
ECE - Found. of Gerontology - B
ECE - Ethics: Theory & Practice - B
ECE - Psych. of Adulthood & Aging - A
ECE - Social Psych. - B
ECE - Abnormal Psych. - B
ECE - HR Management - B
ECE - Research Methods of Psych. - B
ECE - Pathophysiology - A

CLEP - American Govt - 58
CLEP - Intro. to Sociology - 63
CLEP - A & I Lit - 70
DSST - Fund. of Counseling - A (65)
DSST - Org. Behavior - A (67)
DSST - Environment & Humanity - A (62)
DSST - Found. of Education - A (64)
DSST - Here's to Your Health - 461 (Pass)
DSST - Substance Abuse - 460 (Pass)
DSST - Principles of Supervision - A (61)
DSST - Lifespan Developmental Psych - A (59)
DSST - Criminal Justice - 443 (Pass)
DSST - MIS - 415 (Pass)
UExcel - Intro. to Psych (Beta)- Pass
ALEKS - College Alg, Stats
Straighterline - Medical Term, Pharmacology I & II
FEMA - PDS + more
Here is where an institution can apply to become a DSST test center. Note the test center, workstation, testing room and staff requirements in the column on the right.
Thank you all for the suggestions. I guess I should know more about the area I am living in, I only searched the DSST site for testing centers near Buffalo and only the one came up. after the info here I searched all of NY. I only called the ones in the 716 area code ( I have no idea how far others are) but here is what I found out in case anyone else is looking. I am not sure about going to Canada to test I am closer to the Rainbow Bridge then the Peace Bridge, but I am not sure if that makes Trios College closer of further. I have only been up here a little more then a month and I am still getting my bearings.

HOUGHTON COLLEGE
810 UNION ROAD
WEST SENECA, NY 14224
716-674-6363
Houghton College: Transforming People, Transforming the World Offers Paper only at this timeRolleyes, $40 proctoring fee

[FONT=&quot]9031
MEDAILLE COLLEGE
18 AGASSIZ CIRCLE
BUFFALO, NY 14214
716-884-3281, x235
Medaille College | Change your mind[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]This Location:[/FONT][FONT=&quot] [/FONT]
· [FONT=&quot]Delivers DSST exams. Paper only $140 +?[/FONT] :confused:Not sure if this includes $80 to Dantes

[FONT=&quot]9249
NIAGARA COUNTY COMMUNITY COLLEGE
3111 SAUNDERS SETTLEMENT RD
SANBORN, NY 14132
716-614-6222
http://www.sunyniagara.cc.ny.us[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]This Location:[/FONT][FONT=&quot] [/FONT]
· [FONT=&quot]Delivers DSST exams Does not offer any longer[/FONT]:mad:

[FONT=&quot] [/FONT]

[FONT=&quot] [/FONT]
SUNY - EMPIRE STATE COLLEGE
2875 UNION ROAD
APPLE TREE BUSINESS PARK
CHEEKTOWAGA, NY 14227
716-686-7858
SUNY Empire State College Paper only and enrolled students only:eek:
Linda

Start by doing what is necessary: then do the possible; and suddenly you are doing the impossible  St Francis of Assisi

Now a retired substitute Teacher in NY, & SC

AA Liberal Studies TESC '08
BA in Natural Science/Mathematics TESC Sept '10
AAS Environmental safety and Security Technology TESC  Dec '12
Wow! It's easy to forget how fortunate some of us are when it comes to testing locations. Does Megabus (Welcome to megabus) come to Buffalo? (I think that it does.) If so, and you can snatch one of their $1 tickets, maybe it would be worth your while to take it to another town that offers more test centers. You can always study on the bus. Lots of them even have WiFi. It must be exasperating to be so close, and to have this speedbump. Remember, though, that it's just a speedbump and not a brick wall. Good luck.
TESU BSBA - GM, September 2015

"Never give up on a dream just because of the time it will take to accomplish it. The time will pass anyway." -- Earl Nightingale, radio personality and motivational speaker
I would still suggest contacting the listed centers in the greater Rochester area as that is only a 1+ hour drive from Buffalo (we used to do that drive many times over the years as we have family in Rochester and lived in Cleveland, OH).

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Western Oregon University Adopts New Grading System LevelUP 13 939 02-01-2024, 01:49 PM
Last Post: indigoshuffle
  Where can I find a cheap college-level writing/composition course ftlclam 4 819 02-27-2023, 11:28 PM
Last Post: ftlclam
  Art of the Western World, Has anyone taken the DSST? jessjoy23 26 6,480 02-13-2023, 11:29 PM
Last Post: Danielcraig007
  Is It Worth the Money to Get a College Degree? Lets Do the Math and Find Out! LevelUP 20 2,118 02-08-2023, 07:27 PM
Last Post: davewill
  Transferology question - how to find ACE and NCCRS? katsiki 4 550 10-09-2022, 01:37 PM
Last Post: dfrecore
  Do I have to Formally Enroll to Find Out What RA Credits Will Transfer? retro 8 1,019 04-13-2022, 01:24 PM
Last Post: dfrecore
  Daemen & Total Testing Alpha 6 904 02-16-2022, 11:29 PM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  DSST Exam online gams007 3 1,192 11-23-2021, 09:16 PM
Last Post: NoStudentNoCry
  Pennsylvania Western University Alpha 2 896 10-15-2021, 01:14 PM
Last Post: Vle045
  Coopersmith Testing Question tls7291 5 1,079 07-10-2021, 01:38 PM
Last Post: rachel83az