Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
HELP..Newbie looking for Liberal Arts for Teaching Help!!!
(03-21-2019, 11:59 AM)tls7291 Wrote:
(03-11-2019, 07:04 PM)tls7291 Wrote:
(03-11-2019, 06:55 PM)natshar Wrote:
(03-11-2019, 06:51 PM)tls7291 Wrote:
(03-11-2019, 06:45 PM)natshar Wrote: If you want to teach may I suggest WGU.

sorry I'm totally new to all this , what is WGU? I'm assuming it's an online college? If so why WGU, is it geared towards people that want to teach?

Thank You!

WGU is Western Governors University. You can transfer in up to 90 credits and then finish the rest in one six month term. They are affordable and well respected among teachers.

https://www.wgu.edu/online-teaching-degr...grams.html

oh great...thank you so much!!! 
Hi again,

I'm liking the WGU route, do you think I should send my transcripts or talk to admissions to see where my 90 units stand ? Also can you elaborate on the 6 month term? Do you mean that it allows you to finish your degree in 6 months as long as you have 90 acceptable credits?

6-month terms mean that you pay for 6 months at a time, and you can take as many courses as you like during that 6 month period. If you transfer in 90 credits, that gives you 6 months to complete the last 30 credits (10 courses), which is generally pretty easy to do. That would allow you to graduate and pay like $3,500 for the degree.

The only potential rub is that with the teacher's college you do have a practical aspect where you'll earn experience teaching at a local school, so the schedule will also depend on finding a school and finishing that work experience on a schedule that meets the 6-month timing. Some districts can take some time to get into from what I've read.
Working on: Debating whether I want to pursue a doctoral program or maybe another master's degree in 2022-23

Complete:
MBA (IT Management), 2019, Western Governors University
BSBA (Computer Information Systems), 2019, Thomas Edison State University
ASNSM (Computer Science), 2019, Thomas Edison State University

ScholarMatch College & Career Coach
WGU Ambassador
(03-21-2019, 01:36 PM)Merlin Wrote:
(03-11-2019, 06:55 PM)natshar Wrote:
(03-11-2019, 06:51 PM)tls7291 Wrote: sorry I'm totally new to all this , what is WGU? I'm assuming it's an online college? If so why WGU, is it geared towards people that want to teach?

Thank You!

WGU is Western Governors University. You can transfer in up to 90 credits and then finish the rest in one six month term. They are affordable and well respected among teachers.

Hi again,

I'm liking the WGU route, do you think I should send my transcripts or talk to admissions to see where my 90 units stand ? Also can you elaborate on the 6 month term? Do you mean that it allows you to finish your degree in 6 months as long as you have 90 acceptable credits?

6-month terms mean that you pay for 6 months at a time, and you can take as many courses as you like during that 6 month period. If you transfer in 90 credits, that gives you 6 months to complete the last 30 credits (10 courses), which is generally pretty easy to do. That would allow you to graduate and pay like $3,500 for the degree.

The only potential rub is that with the teacher's college you do have a practical aspect where you'll earn experience teaching at a local school, so the schedule will also depend on finding a school and finishing that work experience on a schedule that meets the 6-month timing. Some districts can take some time to get into from what I've read.

I think, but am not certain, that you cannot finish a teaching degree at WGU in 1 term.  It's just not allowed.  But, I could be mixing that up with nursing, or I could just have misunderstood something I read.

Anyway, I'd verify with WGU if you want to go there.
TESU BSBA/HR 2018 - WVNCC BOG AAS 2017 - GGU Cert in Mgmt 2000
EXAMS: TECEP Tech Wrtg, Comp II, LA Math, PR, Computers  DSST Computers, Pers Fin  CLEP Mgmt, Mktg
COURSES: TESU Capstone  Study.com Pers Fin, Microecon, Stats  Ed4Credit Acct 2  PF Fin Mgmt  ALEKS Int & Coll Alg  Sophia Proj Mgmt The Institutes - Ins Ethics  Kaplan PLA
(03-22-2019, 03:55 PM)dfrecore Wrote:
(03-11-2019, 06:55 PM)natshar Wrote: WGU is Western Governors University. You can transfer in up to 90 credits and then finish the rest in one six month term. They are affordable and well respected among teachers.

Hi again,

I think, but am not certain, that you cannot finish a teaching degree at WGU in 1 term.  It's just not allowed.  But, I could be mixing that up with nursing, or I could just have misunderstood something I read.

I've done a fair amount of research into this degree since I have a friend who is considering getting going into elementary education. I don't recall reading anything about restrictions on graduation timing, but you could be right. I'll need to check the forums to see if I can find any examples of people who have done it or were denied the option. I know I have seen posts from people completing the RN to BSN program in one term.

If there is an issue with finishing in one term in the teacher's college, it is probably due to the preclinical observation and demonstrative aspects of licensure, particularly when combined with the order of course completion. Plus I expect that it will be hard to find enough relevant transfer credits to make up 90 credits, so more than likely it will just be the GE's and perhaps some of the foundational education courses transferred in.
Working on: Debating whether I want to pursue a doctoral program or maybe another master's degree in 2022-23

Complete:

WGU Ambassador
(03-22-2019, 06:52 PM)Merlin Wrote:
(03-22-2019, 03:55 PM)dfrecore Wrote:
(03-21-2019, 11:59 AM)tls7291 Wrote: Hi again,

I've done a fair amount of research into this degree since I have a friend who is considering getting going into elementary education. I don't recall reading anything about restrictions on graduation timing, but you could be right. I'll need to check the forums to see if I can find any examples of people who have done it or were denied the option. I know I have seen posts from people completing the RN to BSN program in one term.

If there is an issue with finishing in one term in the teacher's college, it is probably due to the preclinical observation and demonstrative aspects of licensure, particularly when combined with the order of course completion. Plus I expect that it will be hard to find enough relevant transfer credits to make up 90 credits, so more than likely it will just be the GE's and perhaps some of the foundational education courses transferred in.

There was a post about someone on this fourm finishing their degree coursework in one term (after transferring in the rest via CLEP, SDC, etc.). However, you also need to do student teaching which is one term and has to be done after your courses are done. This may be what you are talking about.

So it would look like this:

1 term of online coursework + 1 separate term of student teaching = minimum of 2 terms to finish a degree
(03-23-2019, 11:46 AM)natshar Wrote:
(03-22-2019, 06:52 PM)Merlin Wrote: I've done a fair amount of research into this degree since I have a friend who is considering getting going into elementary education. I don't recall reading anything about restrictions on graduation timing, but you could be right. I'll need to check the forums to see if I can find any examples of people who have done it or were denied the option. I know I have seen posts from people completing the RN to BSN program in one term.

There was a post about someone on this fourm finishing their degree coursework in one term (after transferring in the rest via CLEP, SDC, etc.). However, you also need to do student teaching which is one term and has to be done after your courses are done. This may be what you are talking about.

1 term of online coursework + 1 separate term of student teaching = minimum of 2 terms to finish a degree

Yeah, that is basically what I hinted at in my post above, but I don't recall reading the post you mentioned. The student teaching is referred to as preclinical experiences (minimum of 75 hours of observation I believe) and demonstrative teaching (a supervised teaching and professional assessment required for licensure). But it does sound like at least the latter part of that is taken care of after the coursework is completed. So that sounds right.

Complete:

WGU Ambassador
(03-23-2019, 01:26 PM)Merlin Wrote:
(03-23-2019, 11:46 AM)natshar Wrote:
(03-22-2019, 06:52 PM)Merlin Wrote: I've done a fair amount of research into this degree since I have a friend who is considering getting going into elementary education. I don't recall reading anything about restrictions on graduation timing, but you could be right. I'll need to check the forums to see if I can find any examples of people who have done it or were denied the option. I know I have seen posts from people completing the RN to BSN program in one term.

Yeah, that is basically what I hinted at in my post above, but I don't recall reading the post you mentioned. The student teaching is referred to as preclinical experiences (minimum of 75 hours of observation I believe) and demonstrative teaching (a supervised teaching and professional assessment required for licensure). But it does sound like at least the latter part of that is taken care of after the coursework is completed. So that sounds right.

Here is someone who finished in one term that I was referring to: https://www.degreeforum.net/mybb/Thread-...#pid245093

Here is a breakdown of credits: https://www.degreeforum.net/mybb/Thread-...#pid236448

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Is it possible to "double dip" a BA in liberal studies? NEED5SPEED 4 970 03-12-2021, 01:13 PM
Last Post: harrypotter
Information The Open University - Liberal Arts degree (only £6,192 GBP! fully online) nomaduser 28 4,016 01-13-2021, 01:37 PM
Last Post: rachel83az
  Online Liberal Arts / Liberal Studies / General Studies degree nomaduser 10 1,854 09-24-2020, 10:25 PM
Last Post: warriortaupou
  UL Capstone credits - quick newbie question trueblue 2 970 05-24-2019, 01:40 PM
Last Post: dfrecore