Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Harvard Poetry Classes: TESU Transfer Problem
I transferred three of the Harvard Poetry in America graduate classes into a TESU credit bank and they are now listed on my unofficial transcript as the following:

ENG-199 Special Topics in English
A

A-

ENG-399 Special Topics in English
A-

I am going to try and see if I can contest this transfer because they are all graduate classes.  They should all be considered upper level, but this suggests that TESU doesn't consider them that way.  Apparently, the Harvard classes are not rigorous enough for TESU.

(03-29-2019, 02:54 PM)eriehiker Wrote: I transferred three of the Harvard Poetry in America graduate classes into a TESU credit bank and they are now listed on my unofficial transcript as the following:

A

A-

ENG-399 Special Topics in English
A-

I am going to try and see if I can contest this transfer because they are all graduate classes.  They should all be considered upper level, but this suggests that TESU doesn't consider them that way.  Apparently, the Harvard classes are not rigorous enough for TESU.

So, just from a quick glance, it appears that TESU used the Harvard course numbering system to determine its own numbering system.  The courses that are 300 at Harvard end up upper level at TESU and the courses with a 100 numbering system get a 100 number at TESU even if they are graduate credits.  Here is my Harvard unofficial transcript:

Spring Term 2019
ENGL E-182M
Poetry in America: From the Civil War through Modernism
Elisa New
Gillian Osborne
Available May 28
GR
Spring Term 2019
ENGL E-305
Poetry in America for Teachers: Earth, Sea, Sky
Elisa New
Gillian Osborne
Available May 28
GR
Fall Term 2018
ENGL E-182A
Poetry/Amer:Mayflower-Emerson
New
A
GR
Fall Term 2018
ENGL E-182H
Poetry/Whitman, Dickinson
New
A minus
GR
Summer Term 2018
ENGL S-300
Poetry/City/Whitman-Hip Hop
New
A minus
GR
[-] The following 2 users Like eriehiker's post:
  • hsfamfun, Life_One
I think they just didn't realize they were graduate credits, and you just need to tell them (or show them I guess).

I recently saw a TESU eval for someone who went to a CA 4-yr state school where the numbering system is 0-99 = LL and 100-199 = UL, and TESU brought all of his UL credits in as LL. Once it was pointed out to them that the numbering system they were using was wrong, they fixed it in like 2 days.
TESU BSBA/HR 2018 - WVNCC BOG AAS 2017 - GGU Cert in Mgmt 2000
EXAMS: TECEP Tech Wrtg, Comp II, LA Math, PR, Computers  DSST Computers, Pers Fin  CLEP Mgmt, Mktg
COURSES: TESU Capstone  Study.com Pers Fin, Microecon, Stats  Ed4Credit Acct 2  PF Fin Mgmt  ALEKS Int & Coll Alg  Sophia Proj Mgmt The Institutes - Ins Ethics  Kaplan PLA
I'm going to keep an eye on this as in the future, I might be interested in transferring in my HES English credits for an English degree from TESU if my plans for an ALM don't pan out.
(03-30-2019, 12:44 AM)dfrecore Wrote: I think they just didn't realize they were graduate credits, and you just need to tell them (or show them I guess).

I recently saw a TESU eval for someone who went to a CA 4-yr state school where the numbering system is 0-99 = LL and 100-199 = UL, and TESU brought all of his UL credits in as LL. Once it was pointed out to them that the numbering system they were using was wrong, they fixed it in like 2 days.

I agree- this looks like a simple mistake. HES has a funky numbering, and TESU has over-worked or stretched-too-thin advisors who didn't pay attention to the GR. I'm sure this will get fixed once you contact them back.

That they came in as ENG is perfect, you took them as GR which means you'll get upper level at TESU.
The standard practice is that TESU doesn't necessarily respect the course classification of the originating school except for community college as always LL. UL could show up as LL and LL could show up as UL. Same thing with credits that ACE claims as UL showing up as LL. These are grad units, but I doubt they're protected from downgrading due to content. It's kinda like having an MBA grad course in financial accounting and asking TESU not to downgrade them to LL even though this is a LL course at practically every college.
TESU BA CS and Math (graduated December 2016)
What ACE UL credits show up as LL at TESU? I was under the impression this didn't happen anymore
Completed:
BA History & Psychology, Thomas Edison State University, March 2020
ASNSM Mathematics, Thomas Edison State University, March 2020

Up Next:
JD, Cornell Law School, Class of 2024

Link to all credits earned: Link
(03-31-2019, 01:43 PM)mysonx3 Wrote: What ACE UL credits show up as LL at TESU? I was under the impression this didn't happen anymore

I graduated over two years ago. I guess it changed? I've had to refund courses because the ACE UL got pre-planned as LL.
TESU BA CS and Math (graduated December 2016)
Texas State has a normal numbering system. TESU brought in a masters-level and doctoral-level statistics course as LL. I didn't need UL statistics courses, so I didn't appeal. It's not the norm for people to take graduate-level courses for an undergraduate degree unless it's combined with a master's program. So, if a school will accept graduate courses at all, they might choose an equivalency that best matches the course description. In some cases, it works out better than getting a generic course code if you need to meet a specific requirement. In this case, Eriehiker received generic course codes and LL credits.
Graduate of Not VUL or ENEB
MS, MSS and Graduate Cert
AAS, AS, BA, and BS
CLEP
Intro Psych 70, US His I 64, Intro Soc 63, Intro Edu Psych 70, A&I Lit 64, Bio 68, Prin Man 69, Prin Mar 68
DSST
Life Dev Psych 62, Fund Coun 68, Intro Comp 469, Intro Astr 56, Env & Hum 70, HTYH 456, MIS 451, Prin Sup 453, HRM 62, Bus Eth 458
ALEKS
Int Alg, Coll Alg
TEEX
4 credits
TECEP
Fed Inc Tax, Sci of Nutr, Micro, Strat Man, Med Term, Pub Relations
CSU
Sys Analysis & Design, Programming, Cyber
SL
Intro to Comm, Microbio, Acc I
Uexcel
A&P
Davar
Macro, Intro to Fin, Man Acc
I just wanted to post an update. I notified TESU advising about the issue and all three classes now come in as ENG-499 Special Topics in English. So I can now confirm that these courses come in as expected as upper level.
[-] The following 5 users Like eriehiker's post:
  • alab21, cookderosa, jsd, Muldoon, pws
Glad it was resolved! Thanks for the info.
Northwestern California University School of Law
JD Law, 2027 (in progress, currently 2L)

Georgia Tech
MS Cybersecurity (Policy), 2021

Thomas Edison State University
BA Computer Science, 2023
BA Psychology, 2016
AS Business Administration, 2023
Certificate in Operations Management, 2023
Certificate in Computer Information Systems, 2023

Western Governors University
BS IT Security, 2018

Chaffey College
AA Sociology, 2015

Accumulated Credit: Undergrad: 258.50 | Graduate: 32

View all of my credit on my Omni Transcript!
Visit the DegreeForum Community Wiki!

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Business 421 capstone | TESU | Tips from our members akr680 17 2,488 04-21-2024, 03:42 PM
Last Post: Dosada
  Applying for a Master's in Computer Science with undergraduate degree from TESU DONG 9 595 04-11-2024, 03:27 PM
Last Post: spohara
  Cheapest/Fastest way to get TESU transcript only for ACE credits without degree cpaisannoying123 7 495 04-08-2024, 02:20 PM
Last Post: PLEX
Exclamation Doing a TESU BS Information Technology Degree in One Term Is Now Possible! LevelUP 7 518 04-05-2024, 11:24 AM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  TESU TECEP® APS-1000-TE Medical Terminology emmaya 6 272 04-02-2024, 10:56 PM
Information TESU Debuts New Logo jch 21 1,320 04-01-2024, 03:11 PM
Last Post: jg_nuy
  BSN Grant opportunity at TESU indigoshuffle 2 247 03-31-2024, 01:38 AM
  TESU Second degree jakill2 7 398 03-30-2024, 12:48 PM
  Debate/speech competition transfer credits? Fave advisors? PLEX 4 219 03-20-2024, 03:09 PM
Last Post: PLEX
  UC Berkeley Extension courses can transfer ItsNeverTheLionsYear 2 313 03-18-2024, 11:16 AM
Last Post: davewill