Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Has anyone ever felt this way
I'm prepping for college and I'm scared out of my mind! I know I'm growing up and transitioning ( educationally , emotionally and physically) but I feel like sometimes I'm losing rather than gaining and other days I'm gaining and gaining. My friend said I'm acting like a hormonal "b" and to get over it. Am I acting like one or has anyone ever felt this way?
Everybody else feels like this all the time, too.
I'm keeping an arm's length away from the 'hormonal' comment Wink but I would suggest some better friends with that type of feedback. To your question, it's totally normal to feel weighted at this point in your life - I would suggest a few things that have helped my daughters:

Work on establishing some clarity on your long-term aspirations (e.g degree, job)

Create S.M.A.R.T. Goals - it's amazing how much easier life is with a plan.

Use your resources - lean on others who have done what you want to do. This allows you to compress time.

Always remember to embrace that pressure is a privilege, outwork the work and you'll be just fine!!
PhD, Leadership, University of the Cumberlands - What Have I Done!!?!!
MBA, Healthcare Management, Western Governors University - in progress
MS, Management and Leadership, Western Governors University - 2017
BS, Business Administration, Thomas Edison State University - 2016

RANSOMSOUL: Exchange Good For Great

The Ultimate Route to Earning a Bachelor's Degree in Business: A StraighterLine Success Story
[-] The following 5 users Like RANSOMSOUL's post:
  • 2L8, Joeman200, keepsingin, mudball, originalamyj
(12-28-2017, 10:29 PM)2L8 Wrote: I'm prepping for college and I'm scared out of my mind! I know I'm growing up and transitioning ( educationally , emotionally and physically) but I feel like sometimes I'm losing rather than gaining and other days I'm gaining and gaining. My friend said I'm acting like a hormonal "b" and to get over it. Am I acting like one or has anyone ever felt this way?

You didn't say your age, but I'd say fear of the unknown is normal.

Also, if I can be bold, don't ask as many people for feedback. Every time you ask for feedback you're acting insecure. You asked at least one friend, and now you asked us- take time to quietly reflect on these big questions and make your decisions about most things.

Seek the counsel of wise people when the stakes are high. Example- having a mechanic check out a used car before you buy it would be smart, not insecure... but getting a second opinion on the color of the car reinforces you telling yourself that you need help making even the smallest decisions. And you probably don't!

But in all, let me assure you that making mistakes is good!!! You should make more of them. Seek out opportunities to try things without getting feedback. Allow yourself to slip and fall and get up. It will make you a very capable adult.
Quote by Franklin D. Roosevelt.: “A smooth sea never made a skilled sailor.”
(12-29-2017, 11:10 PM)cookderosa Wrote:
(12-28-2017, 10:29 PM)2L8 Wrote: I'm prepping for college and I'm scared out of my mind! I know I'm growing up and transitioning ( educationally , emotionally and physically) but I feel like sometimes I'm losing rather than gaining and other days I'm gaining and gaining. My friend said I'm acting like a hormonal "b" and to get over it. Am I acting like one or has anyone ever felt this way?

You didn't say your age, but I'd say fear of the unknown is normal.  

Also, if I can be bold, don't ask as many people for feedback.  Every time you ask for feedback you're acting insecure.  You asked at least one friend, and now you asked us- take time to quietly reflect on these big questions and make your decisions about most things.

Seek the counsel of wise people when the stakes are high.  Example- having a mechanic check out a used car before you buy it would be smart, not insecure... but getting a second opinion on the color of the car reinforces you telling yourself that you need help making even the smallest decisions.  And you probably don't!

But in all, let me assure you that making mistakes is good!!! You should make more of them.  Seek out opportunities to try things without getting feedback.  Allow yourself to slip and fall and get up.  It will make you a very capable adult.
Quote by Franklin D. Roosevelt.: “A smooth sea never made a skilled sailor.”

That's my Cookderosa!!! Chock-full of WISDOM. And that quote was fabulous :-). Hey Ransomsoul...long time buddy. Happy New Year to all of you Smile
Thomas Edison State University (TESU)
Enrolled in BA in Liberal Studies - 105/120 Completed

Associate in Science, Excelsior College
[-] The following 1 user Likes mlwilliamsiv's post:
  • 2L8
Totally normal to feel like you do. We all feel like we suck when hitting higher ed. The only people in life who never feel dumb are those that never do anything challenging to be honest.
Also remember that you don't have to have it all figured out. If you get the wrong degree, wrong job, it's never too late to try a new path. But it's never actually wrong. You'll learn something from every experience. So relax and take deep breaths and enjoy the journey. You'll be ok.
MTS             Nations University - September 2018
BA.LS.SS     Thomas Edison State University -September 2017
We all have that feeling. Don't let it suppress you or become overwhelmed by the thinking. It is natural whenever we achieve or going to achieve something big in life. Keep moving forward.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Have you ever felt embarrassed by your lack of a degree? Criticalthinker 44 9,268 05-01-2007, 10:54 PM
Last Post: Matymus