Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Has anyone finished Saylor classes quickly? If so what is your go-to study method?
One of Saylor's problems is the haphazard way they link to resouces all over the web. You end up sifting through a lot of extra material finding what you really need. However, in the end they are essentially test based. If you already understand the material, you can give the material a very light scan and pass. You can also use the quizzes and the non-credit final to help you study.

I used them successfully for a credit course and to help study for a TECEP (Env Ethics), a DSST (Anthro) and a CLEP (Sociology). I'd say if you want to try it, go ahead, but if it starts to become a time sink, bail and do it another way.
NanoDegree: Intro to Self-Driving Cars (2019)
Coursera: Stanford Machine Learning (2019)
TESU: BA in Comp Sci (2016)
TECEP:Env Ethics (2015); TESU PLA:Software Eng, Computer Arch, C++, Advanced C++, Data Struct (2015); TESU Courses:Capstone, Database Mngmnt Sys, Op Sys, Artificial Intel, Discrete Math, Intro to Portfolio Dev, Intro PLA (2014-16); DSST:Anthro, Pers Fin, Astronomy (2014); CLEP:Intro to Soc (2014); Saylor.org:Intro to Computers (2014); CC: 69 units (1980-88)

PLA Tips Thread - TESU: What is in a Portfolio?
[-] The following 3 users Like davewill's post:
  • carrythenothing, jch, jsd
OnlineDegree has the best videos of all the alt credit providers. They are fun to watch. 

Downsides to OnlineDegee courses
1. Take a long time to do (still faster than a brick and mortar school)
2. Difficulty of quizzes
3. NCCRS credit which lots of schools don't take
4. Limited amount of courses
5. It helps if you have a deep understanding of how the system works, which many don't

Many people don't understand that only the 1st video of each chapter is the only one that matters in terms of knowledge and quiz questions. The others are reviews or supplemental videos.

There is no text for the videos. They don't tell you which quiz questions you get wrong, so you never know. Studying for the final, all you can do is print out the quiz questions and learn the concepts. Luckily, the finals aren't too hard.
Degrees: BA Computer Science, BS Business Administration with a concentration in CIS, AS Natural Science & Math, TESU. 4.0 GPA 2022.
Course Experience:  CLEP, Instantcert, Sophia.org, Study.com, Straighterline.com, Onlinedegree.org, Saylor.org, Csmlearn.com, and TEL Learning.
Certifications: W3Schools PHP, Google IT Support, Google Digital Marketing, Google Project Management
[-] The following 2 users Like LevelUP's post:
  • rachel83az, Vle045
(03-15-2022, 01:13 PM)LevelUP Wrote: OnlineDegree has the best videos of all the alt credit providers. They are fun to watch. 

Downsides to OnlineDegee courses
1. Take a long time to do (still faster than a brick and mortar school)
2. Difficulty of quizzes
3. NCCRS credit which lots of schools don't take
4. Limited amount of courses
5. It helps if you have a deep understanding of how the system works, which many don't

Many people don't understand that only the 1st video of each chapter is the only one that matters in terms of knowledge and quiz questions. The others are reviews or supplemental videos.

There is no text for the videos. They don't tell you which quiz questions you get wrong, so you never know. Studying for the final, all you can do is print out the quiz questions and learn the concepts. Luckily, the finals aren't too hard.

Yes!  When i think of it, sometimes I play their videos for background while I am working.  Today I listened to some really interesting interviews on cybersecurity and fraud.   How dumb does a “Doctor” have to be to get scammed into buying black construction paper and be told that it’s black cash that needs a special chemical to clean it off?
MBA, starting July 2022
BA, Sociology 
Certificate, Paralegal Studies
Certificate, Diversity, Equity and Inclusion in the Workplace
Certificate, Global Entrepreneurship & Innovation Virtual Bootcamp - (Thunderbird)
Sophia: 17 credits

LawShelf affiliate (NCCRS credits)
Buy one, get one free with my affiliate code: VK375
https://lawshelf.com/videocoursesview
(03-15-2022, 05:15 AM)rachel83az Wrote: OnlineDegree's history course is actually pretty interesting and fun, IMO. Not sure about the others. OnlineDegree is still faster than a typical B&M course, though having to watch all the videos is going to be frustrating when compared to Sophia/SDC.

Interesting.  I read a couple of articles from when they launched.  (Apparently they hired a PR firm.) They certainly had grand plans to completely disrupt college education. 

But from what I can tell (viewed a couple of courses, and a friend took their Intro to Public Health), it looks like they basically took already existing public domain courses -- Public Health is literally a camera in the back of a classroom filmed at Pomona State maybe(?) in 2012 -- and wrote their own quizzes and exams.

I got the sense that they had a grand plan that they were going to sell leads to the schools from students interested in pursuing college and make a bunch of money in the process.  But given that I don't think they've had any new courses since their initial launch several years ago, it doesn't seem like the idea caught on. A pity. 

It would not have been hard to take the assets they have and reposition them into SDC-style bite-sized chunks, provide transcripts, and *then* they'd have something. At least in my opinion. Smile
[-] The following 2 users Like studyingfortests's post:
  • rachel83az, ss20ts
(03-15-2022, 06:52 PM)studyingfortests Wrote:
(03-15-2022, 05:15 AM)rachel83az Wrote: OnlineDegree's history course is actually pretty interesting and fun, IMO. Not sure about the others. OnlineDegree is still faster than a typical B&M course, though having to watch all the videos is going to be frustrating when compared to Sophia/SDC.

Interesting.  I read a couple of articles from when they launched.  (Apparently they hired a PR firm.) They certainly had grand plans to completely disrupt college education. 

But from what I can tell (viewed a couple of courses, and a friend took their Intro to Public Health), it looks like they basically took already existing public domain courses -- Public Health is literally a camera in the back of a classroom filmed at Pomona State maybe(?) in 2012 -- and wrote their own quizzes and exams.

I got the sense that they had a grand plan that they were going to sell leads to the schools from students interested in pursuing college and make a bunch of money in the process.  But given that I don't think they've had any new courses since their initial launch several years ago, it doesn't seem like the idea caught on. A pity. 

It would not have been hard to take the assets they have and reposition them into SDC-style bite-sized chunks, provide transcripts, and *then* they'd have something. At least in my opinion. Smile

Ya, I saw that too.
Degrees: BA Computer Science, BS Business Administration with a concentration in CIS, AS Natural Science & Math, TESU. 4.0 GPA 2022.
Course Experience:  CLEP, Instantcert, Sophia.org, Study.com, Straighterline.com, Onlinedegree.org, Saylor.org, Csmlearn.com, and TEL Learning.
Certifications: W3Schools PHP, Google IT Support, Google Digital Marketing, Google Project Management
I think Saylor has SOME good courses, and some not so great ones. My advice would be to give one a shot and see what you think. If you get a bad course, bail immediately and move one. Try another one until you get a good one.

The $5 you pay is only for the exam, the course is free - so no loss except some time.
TESU BSBA/HR 2018 - WVNCC BOG AAS 2017 - GGU Cert in Mgmt 2000
EXAMS: TECEP Tech Wrtg, Comp II, LA Math, PR, Computers  DSST Computers, Pers Fin  CLEP Mgmt, Mktg
COURSES: TESU Capstone  Study.com Pers Fin, Microecon, Stats  Ed4Credit Acct 2  PF Fin Mgmt  ALEKS Int & Coll Alg  Sophia Proj Mgmt The Institutes - Ins Ethics  Kaplan PLA
[-] The following 2 users Like dfrecore's post:
  • FastTrackDegree, jch
2 questions, that have probably been asked already:
-how does the proctoring work for Saylor exams?
-is there an age limit for Saylor?
Old Salt w/ New Papers
Pierpont: AAS BOG BUSINESS FOCUS 8/5/22
Excelsior: BS NUCLEAR ENGINEERING TECHNOLOGY 10/21/22
Saylor recently transitioned their proctoring system from synchronous ProctorU to asynchronous SmarterProctoring. It's just $5 per session, 24/7/365. A thread about the change is here: https://www.degreeforum.net/mybb/Thread-...tead-of-25
I've used the new proctoring service a handful of times with no issues, though others have had problems. I like that everything runs through a single browser collection instead of ProctorU's janky combination of programs and scripts.
TESU Class of 2024 BSBA-CIS+GM, BSIT, ASNSM-CS+Math, AAS-GEN
Earned credits from Sophia, SDC, ASU ULC, TEEX, Microsoft, Strayer, TESU, Saylor, DSST, CLEP, CompTIA, StraighterLine, and others since starting in April 2020
[-] The following 1 user Likes jch's post:
  • KsT
I think the age limit would be 13+ because that's the age you have to have a valid email which is what you need to sign up.

You also don't even have to do the course you can just go straight to the test. I wouldn't advise that but you can if you want to.
Insert Name Wrote:2 questions, that have probably been asked already:
-how does the proctoring work for Saylor exams?
-is there an age limit for Saylor?

You can't go wrong with an ACE/NCCRS or CLEP & MS combo, for example, using Saylor.org, Sophia.org and Study.com for taking courses not offered by CLEP/MS. The bulk of the ACE/NCCRS providers require the student to be 13 of age due to COPPA, Study.com's age is 16, and Onlinedegree.com is 18. Age really isn't a barrier as a parent/guardian just needs to be with the student when they sign up if they're under that age, the parent is going to pay for courses or exams and will be granting them permission to take them.
In Progress: Walden MBA | TESU BA Biology & Computer Science
Graduate Certificate: Global Management & Entrepreneurship, ASU (Freebie)

Completed: TESU ASNSM Biology, BSBA (ACBSP Accredited 2017)
Universidad Isabel I: ENEB MBA, Big Data & BI, Digital Marketing & E-Commerce
Certs: 6Sigma/Lean/Scrum, ITIL | Cisco/CompTIA/MTA | Coursera/Edx/Udacity

The Basic Approach | Plans | DegreeForum Community Supported Wiki
~Note~ Read/Review forum posts & Wiki Links to Sample Degree Plans
Degree Planning Advice | New To DegreeForum? How This Area Works

[Image: e7P9EJ4.jpeg]
[-] The following 1 user Likes bjcheung77's post:
  • akr680

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Study.com charged me another month without my consent Livia_Drusila 6 183 Yesterday, 03:57 PM
Last Post: jch
  Current Study.com Coupon Codes pws 67 40,512 03-22-2024, 05:10 PM
Last Post: GoBroncos95
  calculating grade for study.com course Omece 9 1,639 03-20-2024, 08:49 PM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  The official guide to courses by Straighterline, Study, et al: We want YOUR input! aviator guy 378 469,387 03-18-2024, 07:25 PM
Last Post: RachelB
  Saylor business classes jb111 4 440 03-14-2024, 08:00 PM
Last Post: Chimera
  Disappointed with Study.com (Discrete Mathematics) legenwait4itdary 6 765 03-08-2024, 08:41 PM
Last Post: bluebooger
  Study partner wanted, incentive offered Simerion 3 374 02-26-2024, 04:14 PM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  Study.Com Upcoming changes to courses Vin 4 1,048 02-13-2024, 11:26 PM
Last Post: TopHatWombat
Thumbs Up Sophia Review: Finished 6 Courses in 1 Week Ares 11 2,090 02-11-2024, 04:54 PM
Last Post: Ares
  Study.com Statistics? rowan555 16 3,924 02-03-2024, 03:43 PM
Last Post: oh.golly.molly