Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Has anyone received credit for American Sign Language?
I have been taking ASL classes for about a year, with the goal of becoming certified as an interpreter. It occurred to me that I may be able to get credit as a foreign language for my coursework. The question is, how?

Has anyone here successful at being awarded credit for ASL? If so, how did you do it?
If you have college credits in ASL then TESC awards credit for it:

American Sign Language I (DES-101) 3.00 s.h.***
An introductory level course in American Sign Language intended to give an overview of both the language and the culture of the deaf community. The course will focus on frequently used signs, basic rules of grammar, and cultural features within the deaf community.

American Sign Language II (DES-114) 3.00 s.h.*
This course is designed to develop further competency in ASL above the basic level. Students will be exposed to ASL transcription symbols, sentence types, non-manual behaviors, time, pronominalization subjects and objects, classifiers, locatives, pluralization, temporal and distribution aspects. Some information about the Deaf Community and its culture will also be featured throughout the course. Receptive and expressive sign vocabulary will be featured through class activities leading to basic conversational skills in ASL. Students will be expected to interact with the Deaf Community in real-life situations, thereby enhancing their awareness of and sensitivity toward various aspects of Deaf Culture and ASL.

American Sign Language III (DES-211) 3.00 s.h.*
This course is designed to develop further competencies in ASL; expanding the emphasis on ASL grammar and vocabulary development as well as Deaf Community and culture. Students will experience additional in-depth receptive and expressive skill development. Dialogue, short stories, narratives, and conversations will be featured throughout the course. Students will be required to interact with the Deaf Community in real-life situations enhancing their awareness, application, and sensitivity toward various aspects of ASL, and Deaf Culture.

American Sign Language IV (DES-212) 3.00 s.h.****
This course teaches students advanced conversational and discourse skills in American Sign Language and advanced and fine aspects of American Deaf Culture. Styles/Registers in ASL will be discussed on an advanced level. Development of advanced signing skills include topicalization of drug use, medical and sexual behavior, legal current events, dialogues, sign variants/differences, etc. An introduction to wit and poetry, folklore, storytelling and linguistic play in ASL. Text and discourse analysis are also inccorporated throughout the course.

American Sign Language V (DES-311) 3.00 s.h.*
Vocabulary is expanded through introduction of various content areas dealing with current events, world affairs, literature and arts, and abstract ideas. Students learn how to participate in group discussions, to speculate, make analogies, give instructions, and express feelings and intentions as well as applications of ASL discourse styles and registers and rehearse appropriate social/language responses.

And others, see Thomas Edison State College: Course Offerings and search using the word sign.

I think you could sign up for those as a PLA but I'm not sure how you'd prove your knowledge without being with the mentor. Those are also almost as expensive as classes are. Since Spanish is listed as a Humanities, I'd assume ASL would be too so that might be quite helpful on most any degree. I'm sure there are other options out there, I'm just not sure.
My completed "non-traditional" credits include 27 credits from CLEP, 30 credits from DSST, 6 credits from ALEKS, 19 credits from FEMA courses including PDS, 3 credits from NFA courses, 10 credits from ACE Workplace Training, 3 credits from a TESC TECEP exam, and 3 credits from a TESC PLA course.
I did not try to get credit for ASL, but I did look into it as an alternate means of receiving my foreign language credits that I may need for graduate school.

I found this list useful, if a little outdated: http://www.ncssfl.org/links/ASL.pdf

That gives you a list of states that consider ASL a foreign language. If the state of the school you are looking at considers it a FL, I think you will have an easier time arguing that you should be given credit for it. And I imagine most schools will have some sort of assessment test for you to take, like with any foreign language.

I don't really see you having many issues with it. I think most schools have to recognize it to some extent, due to disability laws. It's not like you are trying to push for Esperanto or anything. I'm still hoping for that one then I can put my two years of study to good use. Tongue
IN-PROGRESS:
???

MAYBE:
Texas A&M University-Commerce - BGS

COMPLETED:
Southeast Tourism Society - TMP (02/2020)
Pierpont Community and Technical College - AAS BOG, AOE: English (12/2018)
FEMA - PDS Certificate (04/30/2014)
GED (11/16/2004)
Thanks for the answers. The classes I have been taking were not college classes, but we used the same curriculum. So I am trying to learn how to do it as a prior learning experience to gain credit. You have given me enough pointers to research!

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  The American Dream Academy (TADA) coming to an end in April 2024 Vle045 41 5,875 04-17-2024, 10:11 AM
Last Post: Vle045
  American Public University? nomaduser 36 3,446 04-16-2024, 12:15 PM
Last Post: Charles Fout
  Credit Banking & cheap/free credits - Asking for a friend SweetSecret 7 1,501 04-06-2024, 12:00 PM
Last Post: Rubeferry18
  Diné College: $55 Credit Hour, $660 Full Time (12+ credits) Ares 19 1,927 02-23-2024, 11:14 AM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  Verified College Credit Transfers TINASAM 0 230 02-19-2024, 04:16 PM
Last Post: TINASAM
  Tohono O’odham Community College: $34.25 Credit Hour! Ares 3 729 02-07-2024, 12:24 PM
Last Post: bjcheung77
Question Extension Schools for Credit Transfer Tobutz 4 694 12-13-2023, 03:21 PM
Last Post: ReyMysterioso
  Upper-level credit via XAMK, Metropolia or U of Helsinki jg_nuy 0 481 12-09-2023, 04:19 PM
Last Post: jg_nuy
  Cheap Self-Paced Language Courses or courses IN said languages? nykorn 4 458 12-09-2023, 12:06 PM
Last Post: nykorn
  Looking for cheap Dual Enrollment credit for homeschooled sister muu9 4 528 11-16-2023, 05:47 PM
Last Post: jg_nuy