Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Having a hard time and feeling like an idiot...
So so far I started with Principles of Marketing on IC.  I signed up for Modern States on Marketing, went thru the course, got literally 100% (some required two or three tries, only a handful were true guesses) and then got the 'free clep prep' pay package with audio and a quick prep sheet - i've studied that about 4 hours or so, went back to Instant Cert to check my progress... and...  i'm still an idiot.  The language just feels so CLUNKY on the questions that even if I sorta understand the concept, I never know the exact word they are looking for.  My score starting out is as horrible as before I tried anything.  I feel like I have a decent chunk of the FCP mp3 files literally memorized for definitions, but plugging in the right word in the IC quiz is leaving me shooting blanks over and over.  If the CLEP tests actually look like the InstantCert test I think i'm in trouble.  Sad

I'm aware that apparently the way to memorize this is just to go thru the test over and over I guess until you get used to all the clunkiness..?  Are there premade flashcards with the exact language and questions to help train it in?  I'm starting to feel I could get yet another pay help guide or something and still not be any closer/I feel mentally blocked and don't know why...
Filling in the blanks is generally harder than typical multiple-choice. CLEP is multiple-choice.

I think that you shouldn't care what you're scoring on IC, but just that going through each card 2-3 times might help you later with multiple-choice. Or you may want to just stop using IC. You could use some other flashcard sets from sites like Quizlet.

[-] The following 1 user Likes Ideas's post:
  • blaczkowitz
The important stuff is not in the blanks; the important stuff is in the surrounding sentence and explanations. I never bothered with filling in the blanks.
Graduate of Not VUL or ENEB
MS, MSS and Graduate Cert
AAS, AS, BA, and BS
CLEP
Intro Psych 70, US His I 64, Intro Soc 63, Intro Edu Psych 70, A&I Lit 64, Bio 68, Prin Man 69, Prin Mar 68
DSST
Life Dev Psych 62, Fund Coun 68, Intro Comp 469, Intro Astr 56, Env & Hum 70, HTYH 456, MIS 451, Prin Sup 453, HRM 62, Bus Eth 458
ALEKS
Int Alg, Coll Alg
TEEX
4 credits
TECEP
Fed Inc Tax, Sci of Nutr, Micro, Strat Man, Med Term, Pub Relations
CSU
Sys Analysis & Design, Programming, Cyber
SL
Intro to Comm, Microbio, Acc I
Uexcel
A&P
Davar
Macro, Intro to Fin, Man Acc
[-] The following 2 users Like sanantone's post:
  • blaczkowitz, mlwilliamsiv
You have to use your own judgement about whether the exact word is important. If you use a truly equivalent wording, you can privately consider your answer correct.
NanoDegree: Intro to Self-Driving Cars (2019)
Coursera: Stanford Machine Learning (2019)
TESU: BA in Comp Sci (2016)
TECEP:Env Ethics (2015); TESU PLA:Software Eng, Computer Arch, C++, Advanced C++, Data Struct (2015); TESU Courses:Capstone, Database Mngmnt Sys, Op Sys, Artificial Intel, Discrete Math, Intro to Portfolio Dev, Intro PLA (2014-16); DSST:Anthro, Pers Fin, Astronomy (2014); CLEP:Intro to Soc (2014); Saylor.org:Intro to Computers (2014); CC: 69 units (1980-88)

PLA Tips Thread - TESU: What is in a Portfolio?
There is solid advice already posted. The IC study 'blanks' plenty of times had their way with me Wink but the resources of IC & Free Clep Prep provided perfect value to secure the knowledge needed to pass the exams. My daughters have used the same resources (teenagers) and have been successful with all attempts. Keep putting in the study time, take some more practice tests and then get those credits locked up!
PhD, Leadership, University of the Cumberlands - What Have I Done!!?!!
MBA, Healthcare Management, Western Governors University - in progress
MS, Management and Leadership, Western Governors University - 2017
BS, Business Administration, Thomas Edison State University - 2016

RANSOMSOUL: Exchange Good For Great

The Ultimate Route to Earning a Bachelor's Degree in Business: A StraighterLine Success Story
At this point, taking the real test might be the most efficient use of your time.
63 CLEP Sociology
75 CLEP U.S. History II
63 CLEP College Algebra
70 CLEP Analyzing and Interpreting Literature
68 DSST Technical Writing
72 CLEP U.S. History I
77 CLEP College Mathematics
470 DSST Statistics
53 CLEP College Composition
73 CLEP Biology
54 CLEP Chemistry
77 CLEP Information Systems and Computer Applications
I was making the world's best exam sheet yesterday for my money and banking exam. I started to bog down and said, screw it, I'm taking the exam. I took it and scored 70. I think momentum is a big part of this kind of pathway.
[-] The following 1 user Likes eriehiker's post:
  • blaczkowitz
In the pass/fail exam task for credits, it requires a different mindset than a traditional student taking on a course looking for the best grade possible. My daughters were both straight-A students (well my younger daughter - older received a B+ and the younger one never lets it drop Wink - they both really struggled with the art of focusing on passing the exam for efficiency over passing the exam for the highest score possible. Early on they would come out of a CLEP/DSST, StraighterLine, Saylor or Study.com exam and even though they passed, they would always complain about not acing it. Once they mastered that middle ground, both started tackling the study prep/exam success/celebration trinity with ease.
PhD, Leadership, University of the Cumberlands - What Have I Done!!?!!
MBA, Healthcare Management, Western Governors University - in progress
MS, Management and Leadership, Western Governors University - 2017
BS, Business Administration, Thomas Edison State University - 2016

RANSOMSOUL: Exchange Good For Great

The Ultimate Route to Earning a Bachelor's Degree in Business: A StraighterLine Success Story
(12-25-2017, 02:53 AM)blaczkowitz Wrote: So so far I started with Principles of Marketing on IC.  I signed up for Modern States on Marketing, went thru the course, got literally 100% (some required two or three tries, only a handful were true guesses) and then got the 'free clep prep' pay package with audio and a quick prep sheet - i've studied that about 4 hours or so, went back to Instant Cert to check my progress... and...  i'm still an idiot.  The language just feels so CLUNKY on the questions that even if I sorta understand the concept, I never know the exact word they are looking for.  My score starting out is as horrible as before I tried anything.  I feel like I have a decent chunk of the FCP mp3 files literally memorized for definitions, but plugging in the right word in the IC quiz is leaving me shooting blanks over and over.  If the CLEP tests actually look like the InstantCert test I think i'm in trouble.  Sad

I'm aware that apparently the way to memorize this is just to go thru the test over and over I guess until you get used to all the clunkiness..?  Are there premade flashcards with the exact language and questions to help train it in?  I'm starting to feel I could get yet another pay help guide or something and still not be any closer/I feel mentally blocked and don't know why...

Your first exam is hard mentally more than anything else. I think peope tend to REALLY overprepare and come out with a super high score, or REALLY under prepare and bomb it. There is a middle ground, and it's hard to explain what that is, but you will eventually get a sense of what it feels like to be ready enough. If you're really really worried, you could take the Peterson's series. It's $20 for 3 online timed exams. They are about as close to the real thing as you can get- but keep in mind that the test bank of the real exam contains about a zillion questions, so on any given day, whether or not you get questions you know is a crap shoot. You can't know EVERYTHING that they'll ask- but there is a foundation of basics, and you need to be solid on the basics. After that, you'll encounter the rule of diminishing returns because it becomes a game of trivial pursuit. You could spend 2 weeks studying hard to hit a 50, a month to get a 60, but it might take you a year to hit a 75. Make sense?
I'm with everyone else- schedule your exam. You'll likely have at least a week before they can get you in due to the holidays. Between now and then you can study more, but you're probably ready.
I never found the IC flashcards to be a good prep for me personally. I just don't learn that way. I do much better seeing the whole picture laid out in front of me, instead of looking at bits and pieces like they have it. Nothing wrong with it, and some people do great, but I just don't.

If you are studying and doing well with things like Modern States and additional resources, and feel like you have the knowledge, then you should just take the test. The worst thing that will happen is that you fail, but honestly, it's not terrible - that first test, and understanding what they're looking for, is the hardest. Once you understand how it works, it gets easier.
TESU BSBA/HR 2018 - WVNCC BOG AAS 2017 - GGU Cert in Mgmt 2000
EXAMS: TECEP Tech Wrtg, Comp II, LA Math, PR, Computers  DSST Computers, Pers Fin  CLEP Mgmt, Mktg
COURSES: TESU Capstone  Study.com Pers Fin, Microecon, Stats  Ed4Credit Acct 2  PF Fin Mgmt  ALEKS Int & Coll Alg  Sophia Proj Mgmt The Institutes - Ins Ethics  Kaplan PLA

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Diné College: $55 Credit Hour, $660 Full Time (12+ credits) Ares 19 1,957 02-23-2024, 11:14 AM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  Why degree mills center so hard in post-graduate degrees? elcastor21 7 961 12-08-2023, 06:56 PM
Last Post: nykorn
  Average time to complete a Mechanical Engineering Degree soliloquy 8 7,035 08-14-2023, 12:19 PM
Last Post: soliloquy
  Sometimes even heroes have it hard... (no cellphone to use) bjcheung77 0 256 05-13-2023, 05:33 PM
  Why It's Time for Legacy College Admissions to Go LevelUP 0 375 05-09-2023, 09:15 AM
Last Post: LevelUP
  7 Time-Management Tips for Online College Students LevelUP 0 484 02-08-2023, 04:34 PM
Last Post: LevelUP
  NYU professor fired... Organic chem class too hard! bjcheung77 12 1,019 10-12-2022, 11:06 AM
Last Post: Pats20
  Which college would be your choice - balancing reputation/perception - cost - time esh 6 694 08-08-2022, 05:26 PM
  I am now taking two online college courses with the C-19 extra time at home. Life Long Learning 8 1,615 04-08-2020, 03:02 PM
Last Post: CarpeDiem8
  Feeling Discouraged due to grade and what materials did you use 2L8 13 2,585 09-11-2019, 10:06 PM
Last Post: 2L8