Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Help! I don't know where to start!
I've been reading through this forum, and there's so much information (which I'm grateful for), but a lot of it doesn't apply to my situation and I'm not sure how to make it work. It's seems like everyone already has some credits going in.

Here's my story: My kid is starting high school and I'd like for her to take CLEP classes for college at the same time. Basically, I'd like for her to graduate from college at near the same time as she graduates from high school. I understand that a lot of those classes are redundant, like English and college math. She's not particular about her degree. She'd like to do something along the lines of computer science/ game programming, but I don't know if that's too complicated to do.

I just need help with a basic plan. I've heard of modern states, study, etc, but I don't know how to put them together. Thanks in advance!
COSC and Excelsior allow enrollment by underage teens. TESU does not. You must be at least 18 to enroll at TESU. But TESU is the one that has the Comp Sci degree. A school and a degree does need to be chosen before a plan can be fleshed out because the requirements at the Big 3 are pretty different.

For instance, COSC requires a science with a lab while TESU and Excelsior do not.
In progress:
TESU - BA Computer Science; BSBA CIS; ASNSM Math & CS; ASBA

Completed:
Pierpont - AAS BOG
Sophia (so many), The Institutes (old), Study.com (5 courses)
ASU: Human Origins, Astronomy, Intro Health & Wellness, Western Civilization, Computer Appls & Info Technology, Intro Programming
Strayer: CIS175, CIS111, WRK100, MAT210
[-] The following 1 user Likes rachel83az's post:
  • iothom
Is she taking AP classes in high school? Completing high school and a 4 year college degree at the same time is a lot of work and time. CLEP won't be able to be used for most classes for a degree. Before getting into CLEP, select a school and a degree program. Then follow the paths previous students have taken which often includes Sophia and Study.com not CLEP.
[-] The following 1 user Likes ss20ts's post:
  • iothom
If excelsior allows teens to enroll I would do that. They can get a lot of credits by taking coopersmith courses (much cheaper then excelsior)
[-] The following 2 users Like Cmglaser08's post:
  • FastTrackDegree, iothom
You can join Homeschooling for College Credit which fits your needs, even if you're not homeschooling. Between AP, CLEP, and Dual Enrollment you can have her do a lot. Many homeschoolers use Sophia and/or Study.com as well. Lots of good info on how to finish a degree with high schoolers.
TESU BSBA/HR 2018 - WVNCC BOG AAS 2017 - GGU Cert in Mgmt 2000
EXAMS: TECEP Tech Wrtg, Comp II, LA Math, PR, Computers  DSST Computers, Pers Fin  CLEP Mgmt, Mktg
COURSES: TESU Capstone  Study.com Pers Fin, Microecon, Stats  Ed4Credit Acct 2  PF Fin Mgmt  ALEKS Int & Coll Alg  Sophia Proj Mgmt The Institutes - Ins Ethics  Kaplan PLA
[-] The following 3 users Like dfrecore's post:
  • iothom, TwinMom, Vle045
Thank you so much for your responses, everyone! I really appreciate the direction, and I'm eager to research more.

To answer the above question, she isn't involved in AP yet because I wasn't sure whether to do AP or CLEP. I heard that AP is more challenging than CLEP because of the testing schedule.
AP is often "more valuable" for the top-tier schools. But if a degree from the Big 3 will meet her needs then CLEP will do just fine.

Note: I'm not saying that CLEP are somehow "bad" but passing AP exams is something that could potentially boost your chances of getting into a particular university. CLEP is "just" college credit.

Also, CLEP exams can be free through ModernStates.
In progress:
TESU - BA Computer Science; BSBA CIS; ASNSM Math & CS; ASBA

Completed:
Pierpont - AAS BOG
Sophia (so many), The Institutes (old), Study.com (5 courses)
ASU: Human Origins, Astronomy, Intro Health & Wellness, Western Civilization, Computer Appls & Info Technology, Intro Programming
Strayer: CIS175, CIS111, WRK100, MAT210
[-] The following 1 user Likes rachel83az's post:
  • iothom
Every now and then there's a story in the newspaper of some kid who has done what you're imagining and so it's clear that it can be done. My memory is telling me that there's typically some type of cooperation agreement with a local community college to get started.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Alpha's post:
  • iothom
(08-06-2021, 07:32 PM)Alpha Wrote: Every now and then there's a story in the newspaper of some kid who has done what you're imagining and so it's clear that it can be done. My memory is telling me that there's typically some type of cooperation agreement with a local community college to get started.

and one of those popped up in my news today.... https://www.wbrc.com/2021/08/06/15-year-...-same-day/

That's one way to do get associates at same time as finishing high school and then onto brick and mortar university to finish bachelors.  That seemed to involve all brick and mortar schools. And the key thing was that this scholar knew her goals. Not all ninth graders do and that's ok.

I'm also seconding the idea of learning some strategies from the website "homeschooling for college credit" hs4cc.  Plenty of information there that helps with the unique part of high school in the mix. you might like to use this link from the "start here" section of that website https://homeschoolingforcollegecredit.co...nning-101/

Another resource out there is a free video course called The College Degree Roadmap, offered by dual credit at home (DCAH). https://dualcreditathome.com/college-degree-roadmap/

While that video course is currently free, DCAH is geared for homeschooling and the paid side of their stuff is lesson plans for getting high school diploma through legal homeschooling and then heavy on testing options to get degree from Charter Oak.   I think it's expensive with their lesson plans and not always needed. but the free video course is helpful for degree planning information.
TESU: BALS June 2021 (comm college, clep, sdc sophia coopersmith, SOS110, and capstone)

[-] The following 1 user Likes P226mem's post:
  • iothom
(08-07-2021, 07:42 AM)P226mem Wrote:
(08-06-2021, 07:32 PM)Alpha Wrote: Every now and then there's a story in the newspaper of some kid who has done what you're imagining and so it's clear that it can be done. My memory is telling me that there's typically some type of cooperation agreement with a local community college to get started.

and one of those popped up in my news today.... https://www.wbrc.com/2021/08/06/15-year-...-same-day/

That's one way to do get associates at same time as finishing high school and then onto brick and mortar university to finish bachelors.  That seemed to involve all brick and mortar schools. And the key thing was that this scholar knew her goals. Not all ninth graders do and that's ok.

I'm also seconding the idea of learning some strategies from the website "homeschooling for college credit" hs4cc.  Plenty of information there that helps with the unique part of high school in the mix. you might like to use this link from the "start here" section of that website https://homeschoolingforcollegecredit.co...nning-101/

Another resource out there is a free video course called The College Degree Roadmap, offered by dual credit at home (DCAH). https://dualcreditathome.com/college-degree-roadmap/

While that video course is currently free, DCAH is geared for homeschooling and the paid side of their stuff is lesson plans for getting high school diploma through legal homeschooling and then heavy on testing options to get degree from Charter Oak.   I think it's expensive with their lesson plans and not always needed. but the free video course is helpful for degree planning information.
Great post
[-] The following 1 user Likes Alpha's post:
  • iothom

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Hello, what can I do to start something and or what degree can I learn about Kirahanderson 1 230 02-12-2024, 08:05 PM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  Help me start my journey from Canada Futureproof60 10 1,148 01-22-2023, 12:59 AM
  Ending Military career to start my life! (Help :D) Stefan Brannen 7 628 12-21-2022, 11:15 AM
Last Post: vetvso
  Academic fresh start or no? Thenson 33 3,377 01-09-2022, 04:45 PM
  Course order to start with Sophia acethroughcollege 5 985 09-29-2021, 08:06 PM
Last Post: dfrecore
  Need some help deciding how to start TESU/COSC axelsnoski 12 1,644 06-18-2021, 09:33 AM
Last Post: ROYISAGIRL
  Best way to start? bettyboopjkt 21 2,416 05-18-2021, 08:32 PM
Last Post: bettyboopjkt
  Not sure how to start polydale 10 1,397 05-15-2021, 08:49 PM
  Where to start for a Bachelors' in Business Management TheDarkKnight86 3 1,004 01-18-2021, 11:06 AM
Last Post: rachel83az
  I don't know where to start adegree4me 20 2,447 12-12-2020, 04:28 PM