Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Help Needed on Management Info Systems
OK, I've read all the threads on this being an "easy" test. I consider myself quite able to grasp new, and often useless information, such as the likes being studied for my degree. I've done the IC for this test and can go through nearly all of the sections and know the answers/and reasoning behind the questions/answers. HOWEVER when I got to Petersons, it's like I studied for the wrong test, that or IC is way off. I know the latter probably isn't correct because the feedback on this board is usually spot on. I've taken two (out of three) tests available and I'm scoring exactly 49 on each test. Like I said, either IC is way off or Petersons is going way too in-depth, as usual. Anyone out there run into this problem before on this one? For being one of the suggested tests, I am beginning to feel like an idiot here..... I'm having acronym meltdown, and I'm in the military...the organization that sets the standard for acronym use (TOTSTSFAU) Feedback would be great....Thanks in advance
Basket Weaver Wrote:OK, I've read all the threads on this being an "easy" test. I consider myself quite able to grasp new, and often useless information, such as the likes being studied for my degree. I've done the IC for this test and can go through nearly all of the sections and know the answers/and reasoning behind the questions/answers. HOWEVER when I got to Petersons, it's like I studied for the wrong test, that or IC is way off. I know the latter probably isn't correct because the feedback on this board is usually spot on. I've taken two (out of three) tests available and I'm scoring exactly 49 on each test. Like I said, either IC is way off or Petersons is going way too in-depth, as usual. Anyone out there run into this problem before on this one? For being one of the suggested tests, I am beginning to feel like an idiot here..... I'm having acronym meltdown, and I'm in the military...the organization that sets the standard for acronym use (TOTSTSFAU) Feedback would be great....Thanks in advance

Hi Basket Weaver,

MIS is an upper level DANTES exam and therefore, by definition, NOT "easy". However, if you prepare adequately for it, you will find it very doable. I found it to be the easiest of all the upper level exams I have taken so far. But this is obviously just my own subjective opinion.

Instantcert contains more than enough material to do well on this exam. If you have studied the information Instantcert presents, and feel comfortable with everything you have learned, you will most likely pass the MIS exam.

I don't know what else to tell you really. If you know Instantcert and have grasped the info well, you can feel confident that you are ready to take the exam. If you are at all nervous, look up some of the concepts on Wikipedia and go a bit deeper. Doing this certainly won't hurt you.

At the end of the day, it is you who must decide whether you feel ready to take the exam or not. Only you know if the material is making sense to you, and whether you really understand it or not.

Study Instantcert until you are sure you have grasped all the concepts presented, then go ahead and take the exam.

Don't be afraid,
Snazzlefrag

P.S. I didn't think Peterson did mocks for DANTES exams. Do you have access to DANTES mocks because you are military? If so, I would just mention that, in my experience, the Peterson mocks are usually harder than the real exams. They are great for picking up additional knowledge, but not wonderful for accurately gauging your eventual performance on the actual exams.
My name is Rob

Total Credits: 142 (12 not used).
[SIZE=1]GPA: 4.0
[/SIZE]
Snazz,
I was glad to see you were online as I knew a response would arrive shortly; good to see I was not wrong.

I understand that the UL tests are going to be more difficult, I just wasn't ready for the demonic acronym onslaught by the Petersons site's tests. However, since you state I'm ready to take it, I'm going for it.... yes, that's a joke. I was quite comfortable with IC until I took the mocks, then I felt as though I had my butt kicked by a ten year old. I'll study for a day or two longer as I want to KNOW I passed it so I can concentrate on my future studies.

At the following link, all can find both Dantes/CLEP study guides and mock tests:

http://www.petersons.com/airforce/

The code is FL5518 and you'll need to register; it's quite easy and takes only a few moments to complete.

As far as my feelings on fear...

"I must not fear. Fear is the mind-killer. Fear is the little-death that brings total obliteration. I will face my fear. I will permit it to pass over me and through me. And when it has gone past I will turn the inner eye to see its path. Where the fear has gone there will be nothing. Only I will remain."

"Frank Herbert, Dune - Bene Gesserit Litany Against Fear"

Thanks for your feedback, you are a service to this forum. Lee
Let me qualify the following by saying that I have worked in the IT industry for almost 20 years. Caveat Emptor. Your mileage may vary.

Due to my work background, I figured this would be the easiest test to take (I didn't do the lower level IT tests due to having no more room for Applied Professional exams with Excelsior) and had a bit of the same shock when I took the Peterson's exam. The acronym use is a little crazy on their sample test - in fact there are some acronyms that have a more common useage than the one they had (IDE being a prime example - I forget what they said it stood for in the answer key, but it wasn't the hard drive standard I thought they were referring to, and had discarded it).

As I recall it, the real exam didn't have quite the confusing array of acronyms as the sample test did. The words were typically spelled out, which is how it should be - this is a test of comprehension of Management Information Systems, not recall of obscure acronyms. There are acronyms, but I don't remember being frustrated by any of them.

The second place where I was a little taken aback was on the emphasis on the various project development methodologies. You see a lot of these on the sample tests, and you'll see them on the real exam. Again, I thought the real test was easier, but possibly because I took some time to quickly brush up on some of the various rapid development methodologies as a result of missing them in the sample tests.

The third area are some very subtle differences between things like Information Technology and Management Information Systems and similar terms. Also differences or characteristics of Decision Support Systems, Executive Support Systems, Expert Systems, CASE tools, etc. You'll see a number of questions on those topics as well as the heirarchy of management (role of steering committee - which still boggles me. I've seen all of the roles offered as answers taken up by a steering committee, so my guess as to which one wasn't appropriate was a wild guess!)

After that, the questions are a pleasant mix of things that if you've been in the industry, you'll know or have been exposed to. Many of them that I didn't know specifically were fairly common sense (sample exams again were a good gauge for this).

If you don't have an IT background, but are computer literate, I don't think this would be a hard test to prepare for, but I'm guessing it wouldn't be too hard. This test was a good mix of recall and logical deduction. I think it will *generally* be fairly easy to rule out at least a couple of the answers, so if you don't know the question, at least you've got a 50% chance of getting those random obscure questions right.

So, I'll offer a qualified concurance that this was the easiest test I have taken, but I'm *very* glad I did the Peterson's prep tests firsts, otherwise I think I would have gotten an ugly surprise on some of the methods and terms. I am pretty sure I would have passed without prep, but with the non-linear and (I believe) weighted grading method I hear DSST uses, I'm pretty sure I wouldn't have gotten the A I want.

I haven't gotten my results yet - I took it a week ago - but will post my result when I do.

Good luck with yours!

--------------------------

27 Credits to go, 3 Lower/24 Upper
33 Credits achieved via Test
82 Credits achieved via traditional classroom (16 can't be used)
Studying for Abnormal Psychology, and taking Graduate Research and Writing
In queue: Adulthood & Aging; Educational Psych; Organizational Behavior; Human Resource Management
Braylen,
Thanks for the excellent feedback and advice. I'm on for mine tomorrow at 1300 (1:00 PM). I'm sure this one will be a nail biter afterwards while I'm waiting on the results. Thanks again, Lee
Basket Weaver Wrote:Braylen,
Thanks for the excellent feedback and advice. I'm on for mine tomorrow at 1300 (1:00 PM). I'm sure this one will be a nail biter afterwards while I'm waiting on the results. Thanks again, Lee

Best of luck Lee,

You are going to do great! Be sure to let us know how it went, and post your own feedback for those who will follow in your footsteps later.

Do well,
Snazzlefrag
My name is Rob

Total Credits: 142 (12 not used).
[SIZE=1]GPA: 4.0
[/SIZE]
I got my results today - I passed with a scaled score of 73 of 80 - so I feel a lot more comfortable about the advice/feedback I gave above.

This is my highest score, after Analyzing and Interpreting Literature, so if you're in the IT industry, this should be a no brainer for an easy A.
--------------------------

27 Credits to go, 3 Lower/24 Upper
33 Credits achieved via Test
82 Credits achieved via traditional classroom (16 can't be used)
Studying for Abnormal Psychology, and taking Graduate Research and Writing
In queue: Adulthood & Aging; Educational Psych; Organizational Behavior; Human Resource Management
I sat DSST-MIS yesterday and scored a 61. Unlike most people, I did not think this was an easy test. I am NOT in the IT field, and found most of the material and terminology completely unfamiliar and very BORING!!!
I have built computers in the past, so I think that helped some.

The only source that I used to study was IC!

cederic
Congratulations!
cederic824 Wrote:I sat DSST-MIS yesterday and scored a 61. Unlike most people, I did not think this was an easy test. I am NOT in the IT field, and found most of the material and terminology completely unfamiliar and very BORING!!!
I have built computers in the past, so I think that helped some.

The only source that I used to study was IC!

cederic

Congratulations Cederic! A 61 is great. Do you have any suggestions on what would be good to study with to study with to supplement IC? Thanks.
Kate
BS Psychology

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  International GCSE Sciences (EU/UK) Info bjcheung77 0 72 04-26-2024, 11:53 AM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  Help with Coopersmith's (PSY-304) History and Systems of Psychology Ben2020 14 2,608 04-11-2024, 06:07 PM
Last Post: Msecool123
  Systems Engineering Certification NotJoeBiden 3 300 03-31-2024, 02:11 AM
Last Post: Chimera
  Advice Needed for School & Degree Plan diablo 8 689 01-04-2024, 04:58 PM
Last Post: allvia
  Project Management Training: ENEB, Google or others? JPN 9 2,465 12-08-2023, 06:34 PM
Last Post: nykorn
  TECEP Operations Management colinsr 4 596 10-09-2023, 11:06 AM
  7 Time-Management Tips for Online College Students LevelUP 0 489 02-08-2023, 04:34 PM
Last Post: LevelUP
  Degree choices. BA Supply chain management vs BLS with an MIS minor Schlafen 12 1,045 01-31-2023, 12:06 AM
Last Post: IReallyNeedADegree
  Google Project Management: Professional Certificate midnite123 5 1,671 10-06-2022, 07:46 PM
Last Post: vetvso
  Calc based Physics needed Hometeacher628 14 1,395 09-14-2022, 03:53 PM