Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
BA - Degree Plan/General Help
Hey Everyone!

Just stumbled across this forum when I started looking into WGU and I feel like I'm getting sucked into so much information I don't know where to start.  I just finished my AA at my local community college for general studies and I'm exploring my options for degrees. My issue has always been I'm interested in many things and I spent my on and off years of schooling changing my mind. Now I'm just ready to focus get one done before most likely moving onto the next thing. 
Not sure it's helpful but I work in commercial real estate and also currently working on getting my LEED Green Associate designation but that shouldn't take too long and have a bit of time before I can even start studying.

Classes I've taken are listed below:

JAPAN 101         BEG 1ST-YEAR JAPANESE (5)
JAPAN 102         INTERM 1ST-YR JAPANESE  (5)
PE    103         CO-ED AEROBICS  (1)
PE    108         TENNIS  (1)
PE    110         LIFE FITNESS TRAINING I (2)
ENGL  101         WRITTEN EXPRESSION   (5)
ENGL  114         THE FILM AS LITERATURE (5)
PE    103         CO-ED AEROBICS (1)
ENGL  233         WRITING FICTION I   (5)
ECED  171         INTRO-EARLY CHILD EDUC (5)
ASL   101         AMERICAN SIGN LANG I (5)
BTS   161         COMPUTER & SOFTWARE FUND (5)
ETHN  102         INTRO WHITE CULTURE:U.S. (5)
ART   150         BASIC PHOTO I   (5)
ASL   102         AMERICAN SIGN LANG II
ENGL  243         WRITING POETRY I (5)
TECH  215         PC ANALYSIS & CONFIG I (5)
TECH  217         PC ANALYSIS & CONFIG II (5)
IT    103         NETWORKING BASICS (5)
BUS&  101         INTRODUCTION TO BUSINESS (5)
PHIL& 106         INTRODUCTION TO LOGIC (5)
PSYC& 100         GENERAL PSYCHOLOGY (5)
BTS   109         BUSINESS COMMUNICATIONS (5)
CS    101         TECH & COMPUTER SCIENCE (5)
ANTH& 100         SURVEY OF ANTHROPOLOGY (5)
BUS   145         BUSINESS MATHEMATICS (5)

I wasn't sure how to organize it but hopefully that works.  Thanks in advance for any help/advice!!!!
Thomas Edison BALS degree would be a good fit and you could use the Social Science concentration so you have the diversity you are looking for.
Our education has been used for years to travel the world within employment as an Expat. Pursue your dream, and never give up.
Studying Project Management, History, Business, Foreign languages, and culture. 
We post travel articles on my blog here. ExploreTraveler.com Also our Travel Vlog is here  ExploreTraveler Vlog
TESU BALS History Completion 9 CR Remaining & Dual Major BA.LSGM 2023 12 CR remaining
TESU BALS Social Sciences Confirmed 2019
UAF Foreign Languages German 2019 Finished 
City of Ur - 2019 Capstone is here
(04-05-2019, 10:51 PM)vetvso Wrote: Thomas Edison BALS degree would be a good fit and you could use the Social Science concentration so you have the diversity you are looking for.
Sine TESU requires the capstone and cornerstone now, I would do one of the others.

(04-05-2019, 08:35 PM)Kylana Wrote: Hey Everyone!

Just stumbled across this forum when I started looking into WGU and I feel like I'm getting sucked into so much information I don't know where to start.  I just finished my AA at my local community college for general studies and I'm exploring my options for degrees. My issue has always been I'm interested in many things and I spent my on and off years of schooling changing my mind. Now I'm just ready to focus get one done before most likely moving onto the next thing. 
Not sure it's helpful but I work in commercial real estate and also currently working on getting my LEED Green Associate designation but that shouldn't take too long and have a bit of time before I can even start studying.

Classes I've taken are listed below:

JAPAN 101         BEG 1ST-YEAR JAPANESE (5)
JAPAN 102         INTERM 1ST-YR JAPANESE  (5)
PE    103         CO-ED AEROBICS  (1)
PE    110         LIFE FITNESS TRAINING I (2)
ENGL  101         WRITTEN EXPRESSION   (5)
ENGL  114         THE FILM AS LITERATURE (5)
PE    103         CO-ED AEROBICS (1)
ENGL  233         WRITING FICTION I   (5)
ECED  171         INTRO-EARLY CHILD EDUC (5)
ASL   101         AMERICAN SIGN LANG I (5)
BTS   161         COMPUTER & SOFTWARE FUND (5)
ETHN  102         INTRO WHITE CULTURE:U.S. (5)
ART   150         BASIC PHOTO I   (5)
ASL   102         AMERICAN SIGN LANG II
ENGL  243         WRITING POETRY I (5)
TECH  215         PC ANALYSIS & CONFIG I (5)
TECH  217         PC ANALYSIS & CONFIG II (5)
IT    103         NETWORKING BASICS (5)
BUS&  101         INTRODUCTION TO BUSINESS (5)
PHIL& 106         INTRODUCTION TO LOGIC (5)
PSYC& 100         GENERAL PSYCHOLOGY (5)
BTS   109         BUSINESS COMMUNICATIONS (5)
CS    101         TECH & COMPUTER SCIENCE (5)
ANTH& 100         SURVEY OF ANTHROPOLOGY (5)
BUS   145         BUSINESS MATHEMATICS (5)

I wasn't sure how to organize it but hopefully that works.  Thanks in advance for any help/advice!!!!
A liberal studies or general studies is better if you're looking to study whatever, but for a job, I think a general business degree would be better for you if you're in real estate. It's easy to find business exams online at the upper and lower levels.
OnlineDegree
Intro to Marketing and Strategy ($9) | Intro to Microeconomics ($9)

Study
Intro to Managerial Accounting ($70) | Advanced Accounting ($70) | Managerial Accounting ($80) | Intermediate Accounting 2 ($90) | Intermediate Accounting I ($90) | Cybersecurity Policies & Management ($80) | Management Information Systems ($80) | Data Structures & Algorithms ($80) | Intro to Programming ($70) | Computer Architecture ($70) | Calculus ($80) Database Management ($80)
Systems Analysis & Design ($70) | Discrete Math ($80) | Intro to Operation Systems ($80)

Saylor.org
Intro to Computer Science I ($25)
So you didn't say what degree you want. Do you just want anything to check the box? Or do you want something like business?

BTW, you don't need a business degree (or any degree) to be in real estate, so I wouldn't let that dictate what you do. I'd go with what you actually need.

Also, it looks like your school might be quarter-based instead of semester (all those 5cr courses kind of give it away). Can you confirm? And, no science courses required at your CC? That's crazy. Lucky you.
TESU BSBA/HR 2018 - WVNCC BOG AAS 2017 - GGU Cert in Mgmt 2000
EXAMS: TECEP Tech Wrtg, Comp II, LA Math, PR, Computers  DSST Computers, Pers Fin  CLEP Mgmt, Mktg
COURSES: TESU Capstone  Study.com Pers Fin, Microecon, Stats  Ed4Credit Acct 2  PF Fin Mgmt  ALEKS Int & Coll Alg  Sophia Proj Mgmt The Institutes - Ins Ethics  Kaplan PLA
(04-06-2019, 01:57 AM)dfrecore Wrote: So you didn't say what degree you want.  Do you just want anything to check the box?  Or do you want something like business?

BTW, you don't need a business degree (or any degree) to be in real estate, so I wouldn't let that dictate what you do.  I'd go with what you actually need.

Also, it looks like your school might be quarter-based instead of semester (all those 5cr courses kind of give it away).  Can you confirm?  And, no science courses required at your CC? That's crazy.  Lucky you.

Right now I am just looking to check the box. A lot of employers in real estate require a degree (or do to be considered for promotions) but don't care what, especially once you have a few years of experience.  They have their own classes for certifications (but a little expensive) that I'll work on next but some places will cover the cost and I'm waiting to find out if the place I'm working at now will hire me direct.   I did do some browsing to see if there was anything real estate specific or sustainability since that's really popular/interesting. 

You are correct it was quarter based.  They required science but accepted I believe it was the computer science class. If I'd gone for a transfer degree they would have required a lab science, another english and a math. 

I've actually been considering trying to take a couple of those and see about transferring them in for the transfer AA to get that as well in case that makes it easier going forward. I don't fully understand things but the school website mentioned ACE as an option to transfer credits in.
You're pretty much going to have to decide on which check the box degree you would like more, the BSBA or the BALS. Which school are you planning on attending? If it's the Big 3/WGU, then I would recommend applying to WGU and COSC to see where your credits are at now and what is required for the degree of choice.
In Progress: Walden MBA | TESU BA Biology & Computer Science
Graduate Certificate: Global Management & Entrepreneurship, ASU (Freebie)

Completed: TESU ASNSM Biology, BSBA (ACBSP Accredited 2017)
Universidad Isabel I: ENEB MBA, Big Data & BI, Digital Marketing & E-Commerce
Certs: 6Sigma/Lean/Scrum, ITIL | Cisco/CompTIA/MTA | Coursera/Edx/Udacity

The Basic Approach | Plans | DegreeForum Community Supported Wiki
~Note~ Read/Review forum posts & Wiki Links to Sample Degree Plans
Degree Planning Advice | New To DegreeForum? How This Area Works

[Image: e7P9EJ4.jpeg]
Just got my initial review back from Charter Oak. This is how things transfered.  Is there an easy way to see each degree's requirements? At my last school I could just pick a drop down to see how my credits would fall and see what was left but from what I received it was specific to my degree.
.xlsx   Charter Oak Transfer Credit Review.xlsx (Size: 10.69 KB / Downloads: 7)

Bellevue College Charter Oak Transfer Credits
Anth 100 - Survey of Anthropology ANT101 3.3
Anth 180 - American life & Culture ANT700 3.3
Art 150 - Basic Photo 1 FAR247 3.3
ASL 101 - American Sign Language 1 ASL101 3.3
ASL 102 - American Sign Language 2 ASL102 3.3
Bus 101 - Introduction to Business BUS101 3.3
Bus 145 - Business Mathmatics BUS151 3.3
BTS 109 - Business Communication BUS210 3.3
BTS 161 - Computer & Software Fund ITE113 3.3
CS 101 - Tech & Computer Science ITE 102 3.3
ECED 171 - Intro Early Childhood Education ECE101 3.3
English 101 - Written Expression ENG101 3.3
English 114 - Film as Literature ENG700 3.3
English 233 - Writing Fiction 1 ENG281 3.3
English 243 - Writing Poetry 1 ENG373 3.3
Ethnic 102 - Intro to White Culture U.S IDS700 3.3
Geog 106 - Intro Natural Hazards/Disasters GLY450 3.3
IT 103 - Networking Basics ITE220 3.3
Japan 101 - Beg 1st year Japanese FLN111 3.3
Japan 102 - Interm 1st Year Japanese FLN112 3.3
PE 103 - Co-Ed Aerobics EXS751 0.7
PE 108 - Tennis EXS752 0.7
PE 108 - Tennis EXS753 0.7
PE 103 - Co-Ed Aerobics EXS754 0.7
PE 110 - Life Fitness Training EXS755 1.3
Philosophy 106 - Introduction to Logic PHL220 3.3
TECH 215 - PC Anylysis & Config 1 ITE750 3.3
TECH 215 - PC Anylysis & Config 2 ITE751 3.3
Of course there is, log into ACORN, then you go into your Academic Evaluation, it'll be in a PDF document with about 4-5 pages with info. From a quick glance, you're doing well for a BSBA or a BALS/GS degree from COSC. The majority of your LL/UL requirements can be done with StraighterLine, Study.com combo if not all of it. Get the PDF of the academic evaluation and post it here. It'll tell you what's missing and required. You have exactly 80 credits out of 120.
In Progress: Walden MBA | TESU BA Biology & Computer Science
Graduate Certificate: Global Management & Entrepreneurship, ASU (Freebie)

Completed: TESU ASNSM Biology, BSBA (ACBSP Accredited 2017)
Universidad Isabel I: ENEB MBA, Big Data & BI, Digital Marketing & E-Commerce
Certs: 6Sigma/Lean/Scrum, ITIL | Cisco/CompTIA/MTA | Coursera/Edx/Udacity

The Basic Approach | Plans | DegreeForum Community Supported Wiki
~Note~ Read/Review forum posts & Wiki Links to Sample Degree Plans
Degree Planning Advice | New To DegreeForum? How This Area Works

[Image: e7P9EJ4.jpeg]

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Degree planning help - UMPI BBA vs PUG BSBA crowbird 26 307 36 minutes ago
Last Post: bjcheung77
  Potential Degree Input, Please curious 4 118 6 hours ago
Last Post: curious
  Degree Planning- MS degree dodek101 7 265 Yesterday, 12:01 AM
  DBA degree: online, 2-3 years, top US or UK school, accredited absamer 22 1,469 03-26-2024, 11:54 PM
  Degree Planning Advice - 31, Norway, No Higher Education ASenna 28 1,847 03-26-2024, 06:00 AM
  Masters Degree in Texas Melhux 3 171 03-26-2024, 05:45 AM
  BACS BSCIS plan guidance LAMi 23 291 03-25-2024, 09:11 PM
  Almost 40 year old with foreign BA in English degree and Santa Monica College Cert KMcLean 12 947 03-25-2024, 08:12 PM
  Teaching plan? Piwi737 8 182 03-25-2024, 06:51 PM
Last Post: Piwi737
  IT Degree Options Advice theredwallflower 4 558 03-23-2024, 11:08 AM
Last Post: theredwallflower