Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Help With A Battle Plan For TESC BA-Political Science?
Hi guys.

Have not posted on here in awhile, some things have gotten crazy.

Anyway I have 68 credits remaining for my degree at TESC, and I would LOVE to be done by October.

A. English
Retake the English CLEP WITH essay this time. That will give me 6 credits and open up PLA to me.
B. Humanities
Complete... BUT I want to look at taking the German CLEP so I can replace a C.
C. Macroeconomics
plan to CLEP
D. Social Sciences
CLEP History II
CLEP Psycholoy
And then DSST Human Geograohy to replace a D in a similar class.
E. Math
Complete, but I am considering a PLA for calculus seeing as I am premed. Dunno about that though.
F. Natural Sciences
Can't decide between CLEP exams, or self teaching WITH lab component and then challenging for credit through PLA. I think the latter option would be best.
G. General Ed.
Complete, but need to do an Oboe PLA to replace a grade
H. Political Theory Class
In progress at IU correspondence
I. Comparative Government
Complete, but considering PLA to replace C-
J. International Relations
Complete, just need to transfer in.
K. Statistics
Plan on DSST or CLEP but not sure which would be easier
L. Poly Sci Electives
TESC class in progress, should be complete as soon as rest of my credits transfer in.
M. Free Electives
20 Credits needed, there abouts.. one class in progress, may get a few more when all credits are done being evaluated. One class needs to be PLA'd to clean up GPA IMO. Otherwise gonna go for some DSST exams.

Again, I seem well on my way, just need to augment and clean things up a bit, but I have the added pressure of wanting to be as illustrative in the sciences as possible, being pre-med... but I also want to do this as quickly and easily as possible, without getting bitten for "double dipping."

Any ideas or comments for me?

Thanks in advance, and all help is appreciated.
Hi ibhereforever!

Can I ask a question? You mentioned that you need to take the CLEP English WITH essay, does that mean they don't accept the CLEP English without? Thanks!Smile

BTW, did you consider using FEMA credits for the free electives?
Yea, they require the essay unfortunately. I took it for AMU last time, without the essay and passed no problem, so it's not really that big a deal, just more an annoyance for having to do it over.

Yea, I am in the process of doing some FEMA classes too, but waiting to see what things are going to transfer in where.
For your Natural Sciences, I'd go with Astronomy DSST and Environment and Humanities DSST. I took both of those and they proved pretty easy to pass.

For free electives, I'd really go for FEMA credits. Those are like money in the bank.
Jesse
BA, Thomas Edison State College
MS, Grand Canyon University
ibhereforever Wrote:Hi guys.

Have not posted on here in awhile, some things have gotten crazy.

Anyway I have 68 credits remaining for my degree at TESC, and I would LOVE to be done by October.

A. English
Retake the English CLEP WITH essay this time. That will give me 6 credits and open up PLA to me.
B. Humanities
Complete... BUT I want to look at taking the German CLEP so I can replace a C.
C. Macroeconomics
plan to CLEP
D. Social Sciences
CLEP History II
CLEP Psycholoy
And then DSST Human Geograohy to replace a D in a similar class.
E. Math
Complete, but I am considering a PLA for calculus seeing as I am premed. Dunno about that though.
F. Natural Sciences
Can't decide between CLEP exams, or self teaching WITH lab component and then challenging for credit through PLA. I think the latter option would be best.
G. General Ed.
Complete, but need to do an Oboe PLA to replace a grade
H. Political Theory Class
In progress at IU correspondence
I. Comparative Government
Complete, but considering PLA to replace C-
J. International Relations
Complete, just need to transfer in.
K. Statistics
Plan on DSST or CLEP but not sure which would be easier
L. Poly Sci Electives
TESC class in progress, should be complete as soon as rest of my credits transfer in.
M. Free Electives
20 Credits needed, there abouts.. one class in progress, may get a few more when all credits are done being evaluated. One class needs to be PLA'd to clean up GPA IMO. Otherwise gonna go for some DSST exams.

Again, I seem well on my way, just need to augment and clean things up a bit, but I have the added pressure of wanting to be as illustrative in the sciences as possible, being pre-med... but I also want to do this as quickly and easily as possible, without getting bitten for "double dipping."

Any ideas or comments for me?

Thanks in advance, and all help is appreciated.

Regarding "F" above - Given that you are pre-med, you will definitely need to take traditional, butt-in-seat science courses w/ labs if you want to have any shot in gaining admission to med school.

The following list describes the science courses that are required as pre-reqs to entering Med School:

1 year of General Biology w/ labs (8 credits)
1 year of Organic Chemistry w/ labs (8 credits)
1 year of In-organic Chemistry w/ labs (8 credits)
1 year of Physics w/ labs (8 credits)

In addition to the above list, some school requires the following:

1 year of Microbiology w/ labs (8 credits)
1 year of Anatomy & Physiology w/ labs (8 credits)
1 semester (or 1 year) of Calculus

I would try to actually take as many courses as possible on-campus. As you likely know, getting med school admissions are EXTREMELY competitive. There is nothing wrong with being a Poly-Sci major, but the science courses are mandatory, as is a very good GPA and MCAT scores.

For more info regarding med school admissions requirements, go here for an overview and then here to pick up the book "Medical School Admission Requirements (MSAR)."

- Tom

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Help with figuring out TESU History Degree plan AJay5595 10 3,339 09-06-2018, 10:56 AM
Last Post: BAngieB
  My Technical Studies Degree Plan SRES 17 4,854 08-31-2018, 12:23 AM
Last Post: dfrecore
  BSBA in Finance Degree Plan from TESU UnbreakablyDetermined 2 2,772 08-30-2018, 11:22 PM
Last Post: Luiscastaneda25
  COSC 2nd Degree Plan mb232627 5 2,321 08-24-2018, 12:55 AM
Last Post: mb232627
  TESU math degree plan. Am I doing this right? jakepg 9 2,675 08-23-2018, 09:20 PM
Last Post: armstrongsubero
Exclamation 2018/2019 Updated Associates Degree Plan Options?! Mikele8 10 2,913 08-23-2018, 09:47 AM
  TESU BA in History Plan - Critiques? mysonx3 4 2,141 08-21-2018, 08:54 AM
  New Member need assistance with TESU degree plan BA ckndinner 3 1,685 08-12-2018, 09:11 PM
Last Post: prolific_change
  New Member need assistance with TESU degree plan BA in Lib Studies PBenitez 14 3,483 08-11-2018, 02:21 PM
  New Member - Need Assistance With TESU Psychology Plan joshyjosh 7 2,216 08-05-2018, 10:01 AM
Last Post: bjcheung77