Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Help With ACE credits
Hello,

I have 91 total college credits (ACE)

51 - straighterline
31 - Military ACE credits
9 - Tradition School (College)

I am applying for a police academy that has a 60 college credit minimum requirement. Do you think ACE credits would suffice? Or should I be looking at transferring these credits to TESU and then sending them a TESU transcript. This is in WI. I can't find any useful information and since its memorial weekend it makes it difficult to call anyone.

I've been using this forum a lot as a lurker and you guys are all very well educated in the education process, which is why I ask. I would hate to have 91 credits that don't even satisfy the 60 college credit requirement for police officers in Wisconsin.

Thank you!
Pierpont BOG AAS - 2021
UMPI Bachelor Of Liberal Studies - Management Minor, History Minor
UMPI Alumni - 2021 Magna Cum Laude
I'm not sure if ACE would work. That depends on your State. But you could easily get them on a TESU transcript. You just apply and take a TECEP (TESU test out course) at TESU and you'd be set. But each state has their own policies so you'd have to look up if ACE works for your situation.
[-] The following 1 user Likes natshar's post:
  • cpoteraske
Is it a 60 college credit minimum or the minimum of an associates degree? Police programs vary so much by state and municipality. Your best bet is to contact the departments you'd like to try to get on and find out their specific requirements. Also keep in mind what education requirements there are for promotions, sheriffs departments, and state police.
[-] The following 1 user Likes ss20ts's post:
  • cpoteraske
(05-24-2020, 11:55 PM)ss20ts Wrote: Is it a 60 college credit minimum or the minimum of an associates degree? Police programs vary so much by state and municipality. Your best bet is to contact the departments you'd like to try to get on and find out their specific requirements. Also keep in mind what education requirements there are for promotions, sheriffs departments, and state police.

Minimum is 60 Accredited college credits. I am trying to go to the academy and keep doing school at the same time. So definitely want more than 60 and would prefer a degree but I am hoping to do it while as a PO.

Do you guys know if this would work for me?

https://campussuite-storage.s3.amazonaws...iceApp.pdf
Pierpont BOG AAS - 2021
(05-25-2020, 01:55 PM)cpoteraske Wrote:
(05-24-2020, 11:55 PM)ss20ts Wrote: Is it a 60 college credit minimum or the minimum of an associates degree? Police programs vary so much by state and municipality. Your best bet is to contact the departments you'd like to try to get on and find out their specific requirements. Also keep in mind what education requirements there are for promotions, sheriffs departments, and state police.

Minimum is 60 Accredited college credits. I am trying to go to the academy and keep doing school at the same time. So definitely want more than 60 and would prefer a degree but I am hoping to do it while as a PO.

If you're NOT going to be getting a degree, yes. If you plan on getting a degree, no. That costs way more money than enrolling and taking a TECEP.
[-] The following 1 user Likes rachel83az's post:
  • cpoteraske
(05-25-2020, 02:27 PM)rachel83az Wrote:
(05-25-2020, 01:55 PM)cpoteraske Wrote:

If you're NOT going to be getting a degree, yes. If you plan on getting a degree, no. That costs way more money than enrolling and taking a TECEP.

Thank you for your help, really appreciate everyone's assistance.

I think I will pay out of pocket for the convenience/time factor.
Pierpont BOG AAS - 2021
https://wilenet.org/html/career/(2017-6)...Final).pdf

The link above appears to come from the certifying agency for law enforcement officers in Wisconsin. Beginning on page 23 is the discussion about the college credit requirements. Please verify with the actual agency that the document in this link is the most current version. Hope this helps.
[-] The following 1 user Likes HR_Mgr_Ed's post:
  • cpoteraske
(05-26-2020, 01:51 PM)HR_Mgr_Ed Wrote: https://wilenet.org/html/career/(2017-6)...Final).pdf

The link above appears to come from the certifying agency for law enforcement officers in Wisconsin. Beginning on page 23 is the discussion about the college credit requirements. Please verify with the actual agency that the document in this link is the most current version. Hope this helps.

That document seems to imply ace credit qualifies to waive 30 of the 60 credits. He would likely do best to get an associates with those credits or knock out the bachelors at tesu. 

Quote:
Quote:College Credit Waivers
Quote:A maximum of 30 credits may be waived by the Board for officer’s who qualify for a waiver. Officers may request a waiver of college credits via submission of form DJ‐LE‐331, the Application for Waiver of College Credits form. The Board is not an accredited higher learning institution, and is therefore limited in its ability to waive college credits. College credits will only be waived for individuals who have training and/or experience (such as military training) that has been evaluated and provided a college credit recommendation by a group such as the American Council on Education (ACE)

(05-24-2020, 08:42 PM)cpoteraske Wrote: Hello,

51 - straighterline

I am applying for a police academy that has a 60 college credit minimum requirement. Do you think ACE credits would suffice? Or should I be looking at transferring these credits to TESU and then sending them a TESU transcript. This is in WI. I can't find any useful information and since its memorial weekend it makes it difficult to call anyone.

I've been using this forum a lot as a lurker and you guys are all very well educated in the education process, which is why I ask. I would hate to have 91 credits that don't even satisfy the 60 college credit requirement for police officers in Wisconsin.

Thank you!

Hello from Wisconsin as well! You have two or three options. It appears the 60 credit requirement can only be half met through ace credit. You could get an associates with what you have already, grab a bachelors by finishing off the last couple classes, or somehow manage to do 21 credits worth of regionally accredited work to put you at 30 ra and over 30 ace to meet the 6o credit requirement. I think ASU has a bunch of ra classes very cheap right now, and if not, New Mexico junior college is dirt cheap, online, and ra.
[-] The following 1 user Likes anewmanx's post:
  • cpoteraske
(05-27-2020, 12:06 AM)Could try to send in everything for a BOG AAS. anewmanx Wrote:
(05-26-2020, 01:51 PM)HR_Mgr_Ed Wrote: https://wilenet.org/html/career/(2017-6)...Final).pdf

That document seems to imply ace credit qualifies to waive 30 of the 60 credits. He would likely do best to get an associates with those credits or knock out the bachelors at tesu. 

Quote:
Quote:College Credit Waivers
Quote:A maximum of 30 credits may be waived by the Board for officer’s who qualify for a waiver. Officers may request a waiver of college credits via submission of form DJ‐LE‐331, the Application for Waiver of College Credits form. The Board is not an accredited higher learning institution, and is therefore limited in its ability to waive college credits. College credits will only be waived for individuals who have training and/or experience (such as military training) that has been evaluated and provided a college credit recommendation by a group such as the American Council on Education (ACE)

(05-24-2020, 08:42 PM)cpoteraske Wrote: Hello,

51 - straighterline

Thank you!

Hello from Wisconsin as well! You have two or three options. It appears the 60 credit requirement can only be half met through ace credit. You could get an associates with what you have already, grab a bachelors by finishing off the last couple classes, or somehow manage to do 21 credits worth of regionally accredited work to put you at 30 ra and over 30 ace to meet the 6o credit requirement. I think ASU has a bunch of ra classes very cheap right now, and if not, New Mexico junior college is dirt cheap, online, and ra.
Pierpont AAS; General Studies 2021
Concord University; Bachelor of Arts ; Criminology 2022

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Credit Banking & cheap/free credits - Asking for a friend SweetSecret 7 1,489 04-06-2024, 12:00 PM
Last Post: Rubeferry18
  Diné College: $55 Credit Hour, $660 Full Time (12+ credits) Ares 19 1,926 02-23-2024, 11:14 AM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  If I transfer OTHM Diploma into US University, will they be counted as RA credits? lucillegyl 7 678 02-15-2024, 09:42 AM
Last Post: lucillegyl
  No ACE credits on ACTFL exam? Aikuroa 12 1,253 01-09-2024, 07:05 PM
Last Post: vetvso
  Salvaging FEMA credits CaughtInTheRye12 6 507 12-28-2023, 11:57 PM
Last Post: CaughtInTheRye12
  Recommendations For 18 LL or 9 UL Social Science Credits harrypotter 3 397 11-08-2023, 07:27 AM
Last Post: rachel83az
  Cheapest way to complete CS prerequisites (RA Credits)? therightstuff 18 1,840 11-01-2023, 02:13 AM
Last Post: therightstuff
Information 3 credits in quantitative reasoning for $39 (ACE) MNomadic 92 18,776 10-30-2023, 04:02 PM
Last Post: jg_nuy
  What if my Degree contains too many Transfered Credits from Sophia etc.? ecdw94 19 2,850 10-17-2023, 05:56 PM
Last Post: midnite123
  So... I Asked IU if they accept ACE credits, they do! elcastor21 21 1,760 09-26-2023, 12:00 PM
Last Post: bjcheung77