Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Help choosing degree/school
Hi, I am hoping some people on here would be able to offer me some advice. I have lurked here off and on for a few years and read the advice given to others and it has always been great.

I got my ASBA from TESU in December of 2020. Due to personal circumstances I was not able to keep working on a bachelors degree at that time. I would really like to start up again and see if I can get it done.

My problem is that I am autistic, I have ADHD and depression. I am in the workforce and have always had consistent employment but every day is a huge struggle to stay focused. I don't have good health insurance and am not really able to get adequate treatment. So I have to try to work my life around it.

I tried many times to do the microeconomics, macroeconomics, and principles of finance classes. I tried Sophia and Study.com but I just can't stay on task with them and comprehend them. I think i would need to hire a tutor which I can't afford right now. Back when I did the ALEKS algebra and accounting stuff for my associates, I had a higher paying job (before covid!) and was able to get a tutor. I can't do that now.

So my main goal is to pick a degree that doesn't require me to keep taking these math heavy classes. Obviously TESU already has my information so that would be most convenient but I am willing to start over somewhere else. I am also willing to try to get some student loans and take actual classes if necessary. 

I have a LOT of businesses courses that I did through straighterline and study.com that would go towards a business bachelors degree at TESU. But I know if I post all that, everyone will just push me to try to continue on that path. But I know that I can't complete it due to the math focus. Back when those were completed I had better resources that I do not have now post-covid and post-layoff from my prior job.

Any advice is appreciated!

Edit - I pasted my eval below.

I had originally been going for the bsba in HR. To finish it on my old degree plan (because I have no idea what they may have changed since then) i needed 5 classes plus the capstone. Principles of Finance, Macro, Micro, then Human Resources Management in Healthcare and Negotiations and Conflict Management (just two of the classes that the advisor allowed on my plan). 

Course/Section and Title
Grade
Credits
Repeat
Term
HRM-362 Human Resources Development
CR

PSY-360 Organizational Theory
CR

COM-202 Intro to Business Communicatns
CR

MAN-212 Organizational Behavior
CR

CIS-107 TE100 Computer Concepts and Appl
CR

2019SEP
HRM-231 Human Resource/Personnel Mgt
CR

MAN-271 Internatl Business & Managemen
CR

CIS-103 Intro Bus Information Software
CR

COS-240 Operating Systems
CR

ENC-101 English Composition I
CR

ENC-102 English Composition II
CR

COS-101 Introduction to Computers
CR

LIS-102 Information Literacy
CR

BIO-208 The Science of Nutrition
CR

MAR-201 Introduction to Marketing
CR

COM-290 Presentational Speaking
CR

PSY-101 Introduction to Psychology
CR

HIS-114 American History II
CR

APS-100 Medical Terminology
CR

ART-166 History of Western Art I
CR

TES-100 SD100 Cornerstone: Lifelong Learning
CR

2018OCT
SOS-240 Conflict Resolution
CR

ACC-102 Prin. of Mgrl Acctg
CR

COM-108 Fundamentals of Speech
CR

ACC-101 Prin. of Finl Acctg
CR

MAN-210 Principles of Management
CR

LAW-201 Business Law
CR

POS-110 American Government
CR

STA-201 Principles of Statistics
CR

ENS-200 Environmental Science
CR

MAT-121 College Algebra
CR

ANT-150 Cultural Anthropology I
CR

AOJ-102 Intro to Criminal Justice
CR

HIS-101 Western Civilization I
CR

HIS-102 Western Civilization II
CR

REL-277 Intro to World Religions
CR

FIS-291 Intro to Fire Safety Education
CR

PHI-384 Ethics & Business Professional
CR

HRM-299 Special Topics in H R M
CR

[size=undefined]
Total Earned Credits
108.00[/size]
I would recommend copy/pasting your academic evaluation from TESU into a PDF, or screenshots and so we can see what degree you're closest to. I would vouch for Excelsior or TESU, if you have RA courses from a community college, at least 24 credits worth or close, then COSC would be my first choice. Anyways the more we know what courses you have under your belt, the easier it would be to recommend a degree. BTW, do you have tuition reimbursement or do you know any other languages?
In Progress: Walden MBA | TESU BA Biology & Computer Science
Graduate Certificate: Global Management & Entrepreneurship, ASU (Freebie)

Completed: TESU ASNSM Biology, BSBA (ACBSP Accredited 2017)
Universidad Isabel I: ENEB MBA, Big Data & BI, Digital Marketing & E-Commerce
Certs: 6Sigma/Lean/Scrum, ITIL | Cisco/CompTIA/MTA | Coursera/Edx/Udacity

The Basic Approach | Plans | DegreeForum Community Supported Wiki
~Note~ Read/Review forum posts & Wiki Links to Sample Degree Plans
Degree Planning Advice | New To DegreeForum? How This Area Works

[Image: e7P9EJ4.jpeg]
I suggest you give us a listing of the courses you have (and where you earned them).  Just because you're close to something (a BSBA at TESU) doesn't automatically make it the right fit for you. Why did you choose the BSBA at TESU to start with - what is your professional goal (if you have one, or more - sometimes you just want that bachelor degree)?

Also, congratulations on the ASBA - it is an achievement that deserves to be recognized.
Amberton University
- MS Human Relations and Business - 2022
Thomas Edison State University (TESU)
- BSBA General Management - 2018
- ASNSM Computer Science -2018

What would you recommend to someone who simply has an associates degree and is bad at math? Haha.
BALS is probably the answer, still at TESU if that's where you started since it will probably be faster and cheaper.

I originally wanted the BSBA in CIS from TESU but they changed the rules up this year and settled for the BALS. Right now I'm ready to graduate, if I would have stuck with the BSBA CIS I would still have 20+ credits to do.
thanks, i posted my eval, but I am not looking to finish a BSBA due to what I mentioned in my original post. I wish there were a degree that did not require a capstone
Interesting - Your best bet is either a BALS or a BSBA, hahaha, so you're at step 1 still, the reason is, you have all the MATH you need, as you have College Algebra and also Stats! There are no other math required for either degree... three cheers! You've got this degree in the bag... I just have 1 question, are you "exempt" from the new regulations of 90 alternative credits? If you copy/paste the "other field" and "notes" at the bottom of the academic evaluation, it should show.

BTW, do you have a Bachelors added to your TESU programs list? Which degree are you leaning towards? Do you know another language? Do you want to do a virtual lab? How many courses did you take from Sophia, and how many at Study.com? How long did it take you to do each set? The answers will determine my recommendation, if you did it relatively slow/fast (X courses in X months), then I would recommend maybe staying with TESU or moving to Excelsior or UMPI.
In Progress: Walden MBA | TESU BA Biology & Computer Science
Graduate Certificate: Global Management & Entrepreneurship, ASU (Freebie)

Completed: TESU ASNSM Biology, BSBA (ACBSP Accredited 2017)
Universidad Isabel I: ENEB MBA, Big Data & BI, Digital Marketing & E-Commerce
Certs: 6Sigma/Lean/Scrum, ITIL | Cisco/CompTIA/MTA | Coursera/Edx/Udacity

The Basic Approach | Plans | DegreeForum Community Supported Wiki
~Note~ Read/Review forum posts & Wiki Links to Sample Degree Plans
Degree Planning Advice | New To DegreeForum? How This Area Works

[Image: e7P9EJ4.jpeg]
(08-07-2021, 10:22 PM)bjcheung77 Wrote: Interesting - Your best bet is either a BALS or a BSBA, hahaha, so you're at step 1 still, the reason is, you have all the MATH you need, as you have College Algebra and also Stats!  There are no other math required for either degree... three cheers!  You've got this degree in the bag... I just have 1 question, are you "exempt" from the new regulations of 90 alternative credits?  If you copy/paste the "other field" and "notes" at the bottom of the academic evaluation, it should show.  

BTW, do you have a Bachelors added to your TESU programs list?  Which degree are you leaning towards?  Do you know another language?  Do you want to do a virtual lab?  How many courses did you take from Sophia, and how many at Study.com?  How long did it take you to do each set?  The answers will determine my recommendation, if you did it relatively slow/fast (X courses in X months), then I would recommend maybe staying with TESU or moving to Excelsior or UMPI.

It says my current credits are over the limit (98/90) so I guess that means I can't really stay at TESU anyway unless I was going to take the actual classes through them. UMPI wasn't mentioned on this forum last time I was here, I'm going to go to their website and look at it. 

And yes there is more math involved in the BSBA degree. Microeconomics, Macroeconomics and Finance. Those involve math, as I mentioned in my original post, I cannot complete those. but it looks like since TESU has changed their policy it would not matter now
It sounds like you could have dyscalculia because, AFAIK, things like ADHD, autism, and depression shouldn't cause issues with math. Especially for micro/macro econ at Sophia. I found those two to be very, very math-light. I am NOT saying that I don't believe that it's difficult for you, but you might be able to muddle through things if you look for dyscalculia resources instead of just managing your other issues.

That said, if a Liberal Studies degree would work for you then there are ways that you could possibly complete one at TESU before the residency waiver you paid for your ASBA runs out. You might have to do something like take the TECEPs for English Comp instead of the ACE credits you're currently using. Yes, it would mean "undoing" some of what you'd done but this could be the best option for you. You'd still have to do the Liberal Arts capstone but that might be easier than going to a new school where you'd have to do Science-with-a-lab (math) and Spanish as you do with UMPI.
In progress:
TESU - BA Computer Science; BSBA CIS; ASNSM Math & CS; ASBA

Completed:
Pierpont - AAS BOG
Sophia (so many), The Institutes (old), Study.com (5 courses)
ASU: Human Origins, Astronomy, Intro Health & Wellness, Western Civilization, Computer Appls & Info Technology, Intro Programming
Strayer: CIS175, CIS111, WRK100, MAT210
I completed macro/micro economics and finance. I'm still 20+ credits away from the BSBA. When I saw TESU was changing their rules I told them to add the BALS to my academic evaluation. I will be graduating next month with 150+ total credits. This means that even though they added courses to my academic evaluation, not all courses counted towards my choice of degree. It may be too late for you depending on the amount of RA credits that you have. If you do have the necessary RA credits TESU might still be the easiest choice.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
Information Newbie Needs Advice !! Quick and Easy Degree for International Student smartfion 5 96 14 minutes ago
Last Post: smartfion
  Degree Plan Advice dm.hans32 9 596 04-18-2024, 07:06 AM
Last Post: dm.hans32
  Degree Planning Advice - 31, Norway, No Higher Education ASenna 34 2,212 04-18-2024, 05:21 AM
Last Post: ASenna
  Degree planning help - UMPI BBA vs PUG BSBA crowbird 58 1,926 04-18-2024, 12:31 AM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  TESU or somewhere else for IT/CS related degree? tdat314 6 210 04-17-2024, 01:34 PM
Last Post: rachel83az
  Degree/Planning Advice: Retired LEO Seeking BA and MA after life-altering injury Han_Shot_First_IYKYK 24 1,173 04-16-2024, 11:37 PM
Last Post: Han_Shot_First_IYKYK
  Is Ryan Swayt's Degree hacking course worth 1k? Fuse 43 4,308 04-15-2024, 09:45 AM
  Going back to school at 29 for CS with only freshman year of college completed RejuvenationOclock 8 648 04-10-2024, 11:40 PM
  Advice on degree options juliakeller2011 3 172 04-09-2024, 11:25 PM
  have ENEB masters, no bachelors or other degree? Times 11 931 04-08-2024, 04:44 PM