Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Help on COS 306 Computer Architecture Study.com Final assignment
To those who have went before me, do you happen to have some reference I can use for the final assignment for COS 306, computer architecture?

Specifically I'm stuck at phase 3, am I suppose to build RAMs and registers, or just registers? Without RAM the instructions won't flow, so can I just manually input each instruction?

Either way, if there's some reference of how to actually build this, that'd be great! Thank you!!
Completed TESU BA in CS & Math
Target grad school: OMSCS, or UoTA MOCSO. (Contemplating research)

(06-28-2021, 11:44 AM)StudentOLife Wrote: To those who have went before me, do you happen to have some reference I can use for the final assignment for COS 306, computer architecture?

Specifically I'm stuck at phase 3, am I suppose to build RAMs and registers, or just registers? Without RAM the instructions won't flow, so can I just manually input each instruction?

Either way, if there's some reference of how to actually build this, that'd be great! Thank you!!

Hi so basically if you only need a fifty to pass the class, most people have said that doing part 1 and 2 is good enough to get enough credit to pass. I am working on this assignment as well , I am curious what resources you have used to learn?
(06-29-2021, 12:00 PM)jsarles Wrote:
(06-28-2021, 11:44 AM)StudentOLife Wrote: To those who have went before me, do you happen to have some reference I can use for the final assignment for COS 306, computer architecture?

Hi so basically if you only need a fifty to pass the class, most people have said that doing part 1 and 2 is good enough to get enough credit to pass. I am working on this assignment as well , I am curious what resources you have used to learn?

I've just been using Youtube(Crash course), Logisim videos, forums. Been spending days trying to get a control unit working, the materials form Study.com never did go through that. Was hoping someone has done that here and can share. Definitely one of the hardest class I've taken from Study.com because of the inadequate resource. 

Where did you get that 50% to pass the class, so people just submitted without the Phase 3 and 4? wouldn't that mean we'd need a high score in the exam (I'm not too confident of that personally).

(06-29-2021, 08:30 PM)StudentOLife Wrote:

I've just been using Youtube(Crash course), Logisim videos, forums. Been spending days trying to get a control unit working, the materials form Study.com never did go through that. Was hoping someone has done that here and can share. Definitely one of the hardest class I've taken from Study.com because of the inadequate resource. 

Where did you get that 50% to pass the class, so people just submitted without the Phase 3 and 4? wouldn't that mean we'd need a high score in the exam (I'm not too confident of that personally).
So I said that "If you only need a 50 to pass the class (which requires a 70%) then you can probably get away with only doing half the assignment. I read that in a thread around here. 
Here is one good thread about this

https://www.degreeforum.net/mybb/Thread-...chitecture
This second thread is where I heard from somebody that you don't need to complete the whole assignment

https://www.degreeforum.net/mybb/Thread-...#pid277184

@Ideas, depending on your grade on the exam and how far you want to take this, you can reasonably expect to pass without putting too much time on implementing the CPU itself. Do Phase 1 and 2 (mostly the ALU, there are a lot of tutorials on ALU design on youtube), do the state diagrams, do the assembly code. This should be enough to pass the course.

I went further than that, it deepened my understanding, but I'm still not at the point where I can implement the full 8bit CPU.

@posabsolute 

(06-29-2021, 09:23 PM)jsarles Wrote:

So I said that "If you only need a 50 to pass the class (which requires a 70%) then you can probably get away with only doing half the assignment. I read that in a thread around here. 

This second thread is where I heard from somebody that you don't need to complete the whole assignment

@Ideas, depending on your grade on the exam and how far you want to take this, you can reasonably expect to pass without putting too much time on implementing the CPU itself. Do Phase 1 and 2 (mostly the ALU, there are a lot of tutorials on ALU design on youtube), do the state diagrams, do the assembly code. This should be enough to pass the course.

I went further than that, it deepened my understanding, but I'm still not at the point where I can implement the full 8bit CPU.

@posabsolute 
I have already taken the exam and my quizzes were high enough that I only need a 48% on the project. 
Your mileage will vary depending on how well you did on those
(06-29-2021, 08:30 PM)StudentOLife Wrote: Where did you get that 50% to pass the class, so people just submitted without the Phase 3 and 4? wouldn't that mean we'd need a high score in the exam (I'm not too confident of that personally).

Considering you get 100% for quizzes (everyone should get at least 98%)

Then if you get 70% on the assignment, need 40% on the exam to pass.
Then if you get 60% on the assignment, need 50% on the exam to pass.
Then if you get 50% on the assignment, need 60% on the exam to pass. (getting risky but possible)

This gets to 70% average passing overall.

I would turn in all phases, even if you are guessing or having to Frankenstein something together because maybe the grader will give you some sympathy or credit for partial work.  You need every point possible.

This course could really be broken down into 3 separate courses.  One for the Basics of Computer Architecture, one for designing an APU, and one for Assembly language.  However, it's only one course and they give very little guidance on how to complete the APU other than showing the basics of the 4bit APU.
Degrees: BA Computer Science, BS Business Administration with a concentration in CIS, AS Natural Science & Math, TESU. 4.0 GPA 2022.
Course Experience:  CLEP, Instantcert, Sophia.org, Study.com, Straighterline.com, Onlinedegree.org, Saylor.org, Csmlearn.com, and TEL Learning.
Certifications: W3Schools PHP, Google IT Support, Google Digital Marketing, Google Project Management
(06-29-2021, 09:24 PM)LevelUP Wrote:
(06-29-2021, 08:30 PM)StudentOLife Wrote: Where did you get that 50% to pass the class, so people just submitted without the Phase 3 and 4? wouldn't that mean we'd need a high score in the exam (I'm not too confident of that personally).

Considering you get 100% for quizzes (everyone should get at least 98%)

Then if you get 70% on the assignment, need 40% on the exam to pass.
Then if you get 60% on the assignment, need 50% on the exam to pass.
Then if you get 50% on the assignment, need 60% on the exam to pass. (getting risky but possible)

This gets to 70% average passing overall.

I would turn in all phases, even if you are guessing or having to Frankenstein something together because maybe the grader will give you some sympathy or credit for partial work.  You need every point possible.

This course could really be broken down into 3 separate courses.  One for the Basics of Computer Architecture, one for designing an APU, and one for Assembly language.  However, it's only one course and they give very little guidance on how to complete the APU other than showing the basics of the 4bit APU.
Yeah turning in all phases is good for getting pity credit, 
Also You can take the exam before handing in the assignment. 
I did this for all of my SDC courses and it helped the content stay fresh in my mind and then I did the assignment after.
Yea it's not a very good course there was no example to show how to actually deploy a control unit in any of the lessons, but they expect us to do it. I guess we'll have have to do that, we should all review it that way so hopefully SDC are aware of what's lacking...

@posabsolute 

@posabsolute 
I have already taken the exam and my quizzes were high enough that I only need a 48% on the project. 

Thanks so much, I guess i need to get my quiz done first then. I just need a reference of a control unit. I can't seem to find one that is simplified enough..! Is there a reference somewhere on the internet for Phase 3..? lol

(07-06-2021, 08:46 AM)StudentOLife Wrote: Yea it's not a very good course there was no example to show how to actually deploy a control unit in any of the lessons, but they expect us to do it. I guess we'll have have to do that, we should all review it that way so hopefully SDC are aware of what's lacking...

@posabsolute 

(06-29-2021, 12:00 PM)jsarles Wrote: Hi so basically if you only need a fifty to pass the class, most people have said that doing part 1 and 2 is good enough to get enough credit to pass. I am working on this assignment as well , I am curious what resources you have used to learn?

@posabsolute 

Thanks so much, I guess i need to get my quiz done first then. I just need a reference of a control unit. I can't seem to find one that is simplified enough..! Is there a reference somewhere on the internet for Phase 3..? lol

check out this course, it has a CPU section thanks https://appliedmathematics.teachable.com/p/design-a-cpu

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
Question Speedrunning SDC Data Structures and Computer Architecture advice? Randyb100 15 725 04-09-2024, 06:36 PM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  Current Study.com Coupon Codes pws 67 40,348 03-22-2024, 05:10 PM
Last Post: GoBroncos95
  calculating grade for study.com course Omece 9 1,597 03-20-2024, 08:49 PM
  The official guide to courses by Straighterline, Study, et al: We want YOUR input! aviator guy 378 468,444 03-18-2024, 07:25 PM
Last Post: RachelB
  Disappointed with Study.com (Discrete Mathematics) legenwait4itdary 6 746 03-08-2024, 08:41 PM
Last Post: bluebooger
Brick MAT150 - Straighterline - Final Exam riteshvpandya 2 333 02-26-2024, 11:31 PM
Last Post: riteshvpandya
  Study partner wanted, incentive offered Simerion 3 363 02-26-2024, 04:14 PM
  Study.Com Upcoming changes to courses Vin 4 1,032 02-13-2024, 11:26 PM
Last Post: TopHatWombat
  Study.com Statistics? rowan555 16 3,903 02-03-2024, 03:43 PM
Last Post: oh.golly.molly
  does felician college accept study.com credits? fraggle 4 590 01-31-2024, 03:47 PM
Last Post: indigoshuffle