Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Help selecting an MBA program
Hi everyone,

I'm thinking about doing an MBA since I'd like to change jobs this year and everyone my age here in Germany has a master's degree. I just need the credential, if I learn anything new, it's icing on the cake. I would like to keep the cost down and find a program that focuses on papers instead of proctored exams since I'd have to take them in the evening once the kids (all under age 8) are in bed and I tend to be pretty tired at that point (8:30-9:00) because I work from 6-3. RA is necessary since DEAC is not recognized here, but no further accreditation is required. A general MBA is fine, or any concentration.

Any suggestions, or am I looking for a unicorn?

Thanks in advance....
There's several listed on my signature and they're probably the "cheapest/easiest/fastest" ones as they're Competency Based Degrees.
There are several on the forum who have completed either of the two degrees below from Patten or WGU

Patten: Online College Degree Programs - Patten University
WGU: Online Degrees | WGU's Accredited Online Degree Programs

An alternative program based in Europe - About $10,000 Pounds - All through exams though
Heriot Watt University: https://www.ebsglobal.net/study-with-us/fees
In Progress: Walden MBA | TESU BA Biology & Computer Science
Graduate Certificate: Global Management & Entrepreneurship, ASU (Freebie)

Completed: TESU ASNSM Biology, BSBA (ACBSP Accredited 2017)
Universidad Isabel I: ENEB MBA, Big Data & BI, Digital Marketing & E-Commerce
Certs: 6Sigma/Lean/Scrum, ITIL | Cisco/CompTIA/MTA | Coursera/Edx/Udacity

The Basic Approach | Plans | DegreeForum Community Supported Wiki
~Note~ Read/Review forum posts & Wiki Links to Sample Degree Plans
Degree Planning Advice | New To DegreeForum? How This Area Works

[Image: e7P9EJ4.jpeg]
bjcheung77 Wrote:Patten: Online College Degree Programs - Patten University

Patten is exam heavy, requiring one for every course. It's going to be hard to find any online MBA that isn't exam heavy, though, so Patten isn't necessarily a bad idea, if your willing to deal with a for-profit.

bjcheung77 Wrote:WGU: Online Degrees | WGU's Accredited Online Degree Programs

WGU is not open to international students (with the exception of some Canadian locales)
Northwestern California University School of Law
JD Law, 2027 (in progress, currently 2L)

Georgia Tech
MS Cybersecurity (Policy), 2021

Thomas Edison State University
BA Computer Science, 2023
BA Psychology, 2016
AS Business Administration, 2023
Certificate in Operations Management, 2023
Certificate in Computer Information Systems, 2023

Western Governors University
BS IT Security, 2018

Chaffey College
AA Sociology, 2015

Accumulated Credit: Undergrad: 258.50 | Graduate: 32

View all of my credit on my Omni Transcript!
Visit the DegreeForum Community Wiki!
Amberton University would fall in line with your MBA paper heavy interest. Many feel it's on the high volume side with averaging 20 pages a week but with no proctored exams in the program. The cost is a strong bonus coming in at around 9k (additional saving if one transfers in 6 graduate credits - 12 available for none MBA degrees)
[URL="http://www.amberton.edu/programs-and-courses/masters-degree-programs/index.html"]
Amberton University MBA[/URL]
PhD, Leadership, University of the Cumberlands - What Have I Done!!?!!
MBA, Healthcare Management, Western Governors University - in progress
MS, Management and Leadership, Western Governors University - 2017
BS, Business Administration, Thomas Edison State University - 2016

RANSOMSOUL: Exchange Good For Great

The Ultimate Route to Earning a Bachelor's Degree in Business: A StraighterLine Success Story
ENMU is inexpensive, but would take longer to get through than most, as you are limited to 6cr per the Fall/Spring terms, and 3cr for summer. That's a full 2 years to complete - but it's only $7820 (out-of-state pays the in-state rate if you take 6cr or fewer). No idea on exams vs. papers, or international, but if you email the head of the program, she responds quickly and is very helpful.

Also, is it possible to take exams somewhere other than home, so directly after work? If there was a quiet place at your work where you could take an exam once in a while, that would certainly be helpful.
TESU BSBA/HR 2018 - WVNCC BOG AAS 2017 - GGU Cert in Mgmt 2000
EXAMS: TECEP Tech Wrtg, Comp II, LA Math, PR, Computers  DSST Computers, Pers Fin  CLEP Mgmt, Mktg
COURSES: TESU Capstone  Study.com Pers Fin, Microecon, Stats  Ed4Credit Acct 2  PF Fin Mgmt  ALEKS Int & Coll Alg  Sophia Proj Mgmt The Institutes - Ins Ethics  Kaplan PLA
Thanks for your responses. I can't take the exams after I get off work because I have to pick my kids up from child care and my boss was already nice enough to let me switch my schedule. Despite the fact I live in Germany, I'm a US citizen, if that matters.

I have no problem with a for-profit, but Patten doesn't fit the few/no exams criterium. Time is somewhat of the essence, though- 2 years is probably too long. I've got some grad business credit from a UK university that should garner me 6 credits.

So far Amberton leads the pack......
Just an update here- although I like Amberton and would go with them under normal circumstances, due to their course rotation schedule, I wouldn't be able to finish quickly enough.
jsd Wrote:Patten is exam heavy, requiring one for every course. It's going to be hard to find any online MBA that isn't exam heavy, though, so Patten isn't necessarily a bad idea, if your willing to deal with a for-profit.

WGU is not open to international students (with the exception of some Canadian locales)

Here's what the WGU website says just in case the OP falls into one of the exceptions:
Quote:College of Business Admissions | Online MBA Admissions | Western Governors University Online

[h=1]International Applicants[/h][FONT=&quot]At the present time, WGU is accepting applications only from individuals living in the United States and select geographical areas of Canada. (The exceptions are U.S. active-duty military personnel and their families at overseas installations and individuals living in Guam, Puerto Rico, or the U.S. Virgin Islands.)[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Unfortunately, we have discovered we cannot always guarantee that the educational experience for students living outside the United States will meet our high standards for quality and convenience. It is our expectation that these problems will be solved in future years. An [/FONT]Enrollment Counselor[FONT=&quot] has more information about which areas are eligible to submit applications.[/FONT]
NanoDegree: Intro to Self-Driving Cars (2019)
Coursera: Stanford Machine Learning (2019)
TESU: BA in Comp Sci (2016)
TECEP:Env Ethics (2015); TESU PLA:Software Eng, Computer Arch, C++, Advanced C++, Data Struct (2015); TESU Courses:Capstone, Database Mngmnt Sys, Op Sys, Artificial Intel, Discrete Math, Intro to Portfolio Dev, Intro PLA (2014-16); DSST:Anthro, Pers Fin, Astronomy (2014); CLEP:Intro to Soc (2014); Saylor.org:Intro to Computers (2014); CC: 69 units (1980-88)

PLA Tips Thread - TESU: What is in a Portfolio?
Unfortunately, I don't meet any of WGU's criteria, but thanks for the info.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
Thumbs Up Master in Sustainable Transition - Germany (No Tuition Fee, English, Online Program) kumamon 2 306 03-27-2024, 11:03 PM
Last Post: armado
  I am looking for a budget online MBA program ranked among the top 50 in USA shrekr 51 15,459 01-15-2024, 10:02 PM
Last Post: ss20ts
  Graduate program for ITT tech graduate Phdhopeful 12 2,276 09-20-2023, 07:37 AM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  Accepted into Georgia Tech's Online MSCS program frankc 11 1,635 09-19-2023, 05:40 PM
Last Post: Jonathan Whatley
  Sacramento State launches accelerated, fully online iMBA program LevelUP 7 1,206 09-04-2023, 11:38 AM
Last Post: datby98
Question Saylor starting an MBA program?! jch 40 4,362 09-04-2023, 12:03 AM
Last Post: SweetSecret
  Chaminade University - Ed.S School Psychology program (Not online, but it's FREE !) nyvrem 9 1,204 09-02-2023, 04:19 AM
Last Post: GameSlinger
  DTSC-660 at Eastern University (MS in Data Science program) AwardTour 3 1,720 05-25-2023, 04:17 PM
Last Post: AnonStudent
  JWMI MBA Program - My experience so far Vle045 15 2,725 05-15-2023, 09:16 PM
Last Post: Vle045
  Looking for online Grad Cert. or Masters Program RoliJoli 4 1,107 03-27-2023, 05:41 PM
Last Post: sanantone