Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Help understanding COSC/Excelsior requirements
I know that TESU doesn't allow students under the age of 21, which I initially thought would not be an issue as I'd likely reach that age by the time I was ready to enroll anyhow. But things have gone faster than I expected and now that's looking like it could be an issue for me, so I'm trying to prepare for that possibility by having some sort of plan for how to meet the requirements at COSC and/or Excelsior. However, I can't seem to find information spelled out quite as nicely on their sites as TESU's, however, so I need to ask some questions and pick the brains of this board.

From a few minutes spent browsing COSC's site, my understanding is that they require you to do the following to get a bachelor's degree:

1. Complete the Gen Ed requirements
2. Get the required number of liberal arts credits for your degree type (I'll probably be going for a BA, so 90 for me)
3. Complete the requirements for your major
4. Have 120 total credits

What am I missing/incorrect on?

And for Excelsior, looking specifically at the BS in History, the requirements I've managed to find are:

1. Complete the Arts and Sciences requirements
2. Have at least 60 Arts and Sciences credits
3. Complete the requirements for the history major
4. Have at least 18 UL history credits
5. Have at least 21 UL "Arts and Sciences" credits
6. Have at least 30 total UL credits

Again, what am I missing/incorrect on?
Completed:
BA History & Psychology, Thomas Edison State University, March 2020
ASNSM Mathematics, Thomas Edison State University, March 2020

Up Next:
JD, Cornell Law School, Class of 2024

Link to all credits earned: Link
Are you 18? If so, you can get a waiver for being 18 and having 24 credits, which you do with all your CLEPs.
Amy
Goal: BA in English at TESU
Completed: 78 B&M credits plus:
Institutes: Ethics
Study.com: Personal Finance, History of the Vietnam War, English Comp I, Intro World Religions, Public Speaking, Intro to Humanities
Shmoop: Bible as Literature, Shakespeare's Plays, Women's Lit, Modernist Lit, Holocaust Lit
TECEP: Technical Writing
Is this still the case? I had heard about them tightening up on the age requirement waivers and I assumed that meant that rule went away.

I am 19, and I'll be 20 by the time I'm ready to enroll, so if that still is the case it would be a godsend

Sent from my Moto G (5) Plus using Tapatalk
Completed:

Up Next:

(09-03-2018, 08:42 PM)mysonx3 Wrote: Is this still the case? I had heard about them tightening up on the age requirement waivers and I assumed that meant that rule went away.

I am 19, and I'll be 20 by the time I'm ready to enroll, so if that still is the case it would be a godsend

According to the site it is:  If 24 of your credits are RA (ie CC) then it is pretty straight forward, if your credits are alternative courses then you have to take (& pass) some placement exams - https://www.tesu.edu/academics/catalog/u...ons-policy

Also Charter Oak as a 30 UL minimum requirement (you didn't list UL for them at all in your post) - https://www.charteroak.edu/catalog/curre...ements.php
Amberton University
- MS Human Relations and Business - 2022
Thomas Edison State University (TESU)
- BSBA General Management - 2018
- ASNSM Computer Science -2018

Also, COSC is the only one of the Big 3 that requires a lab science. Your cheapest options are Ed4Credit (standalone labs for Bio & Chem and a $30 coupon right now), or Study.com (Bio w/Lab is included in the monthly price, you pay an additional $40 for a virtual lab).
TESU BSBA/HR 2018 - WVNCC BOG AAS 2017 - GGU Cert in Mgmt 2000
EXAMS: TECEP Tech Wrtg, Comp II, LA Math, PR, Computers  DSST Computers, Pers Fin  CLEP Mgmt, Mktg
COURSES: TESU Capstone  Study.com Pers Fin, Microecon, Stats  Ed4Credit Acct 2  PF Fin Mgmt  ALEKS Int & Coll Alg  Sophia Proj Mgmt The Institutes - Ins Ethics  Kaplan PLA
[-] The following 1 user Likes dfrecore's post:
  • mysonx3
(09-04-2018, 06:56 AM)allvia Wrote:
(09-03-2018, 08:42 PM)mysonx3 Wrote: Is this still the case? I had heard about them tightening up on the age requirement waivers and I assumed that meant that rule went away.

According to the site it is:  If 24 of your credits are RA (ie CC) then it is pretty straight forward, if your credits are alternative courses then you have to take (& pass) some placement exams - https://www.tesu.edu/academics/catalog/u...ons-policy

Also Charter Oak as a 30 UL minimum requirement (you didn't list UL for them at all in your post) - https://www.charteroak.edu/catalog/curre...ements.php

Wow, that's fantastic to hear! By the time I'm ready to enroll I'll have approx. 45 credits from a RA CC I'm going to be taking classes at soon, so looks like I won't have to worry about the age issues after all.

Also, thanks for the info on Charter Oak's UL requirements. I knew there must be some kind of requirement there but I couldn't find it.
Completed:

Up Next:

Here's the degree chart for a BA in History at Excelsior Just in case you need to go that route.

Attached Files
.pdf   SLA BS and History Degree Chart.pdf (Size: 119.77 KB / Downloads: 35)
WGU MBA IT Management Feb. 2019
Excelsior BSLA April 2018
University of Indianapolis - 61 credits
Davar - Computer Lit, Org Behavior 
DSST - Principles Of Statistics, Intro to Business, Principles of Supervision,Substance Abuse 
Excelsior - Bioethics, Assoc Capstone, Bachelors Capstone 
Straighterline - Personal Fitness & Wellness, Cultural Anthropology, Student Success, Criminal Justice, Env Science, Medical Terminology, Pharmacology 1, Bus Ethics
Sophia.org - Effective Teams, Project Management, Intro to Info Tech

[-] The following 2 users Like Kima's post:
  • mysonx3, NC Coach

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Excelsior BSLA - Upper Level Credits Robinred2404 7 409 03-18-2024, 09:08 PM
Last Post: Robinred2404
  Has excelsior accepted CSM math recently? CM1999 6 938 01-11-2024, 10:16 PM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  So disappointed in Excelsior. Should I bail or suck it up for the last class? profstudent 22 5,585 12-06-2023, 02:03 PM
Last Post: SophiaPrincess
  New Change to Enrollment at Excelsior U. -- Not Good milah1 12 1,648 10-20-2023, 12:46 PM
Last Post: frankc
  Excelsior University BS in Liberal Arts Upper Credit Transfer Options Niketay 13 2,319 07-05-2023, 10:22 AM
  Excelsior University to Ivey League ----> RichestLiberalArtsMajor 5 1,338 06-06-2023, 09:32 AM
Last Post: IReallyNeedADegree
  OTmina - Excelsior Degree Plan OTmina 28 4,078 05-16-2023, 04:20 PM
Last Post: OTmina
  Excelsior Capstone Risa 6 1,738 04-30-2023, 06:41 PM
Last Post: new2this
  Finally Graduating from Excelsior University new2this 4 1,256 04-29-2023, 12:46 AM
  English Comp Excelsior Sophia joer 17 5,314 04-14-2023, 10:30 AM
Last Post: rachel83az