Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Help with Master's degree
So I have narrowed it down to 2 M.A. programs. I am looking to teach at a Community College in either English/Literature, History, or general Humanities. Generally 18 grad credits is required to teach a subject.

I found the following:
Cal State-Dominguez Hills online M.A. in Humanities. You can specialize in one subject- I would do Literature. Cost is about $6360+ books/extras. Would take about 12-16 months to finish. Con: it's a "concentration" in Literature, not an actual degree in it. Pros: Cost, time, I like the "name" recognition, and the classes sound really cool.

Western New Mexico Univ. online M.A. in Interdisciplinary Studies- you get two 18 credit concentrations. I would do History and English, making me qualified to teach two fields. Cost is about $6850+ books/extras. Would take a full 2 years to finish. Con: It would take longer, cost is more. Pros: 2 subjects I can teach, cost is still reasonable.

Or there's Morehead State's online M.A. in English. Traditional program. Cost is about $10,000-$11,000+ books/extras. Would take about 20-24 months to finish. Con: COST is a lot more, time, GRE required, name is something I can see being teased about, only qualified to teach one subject. Pros: It's a well-regarded program, I was conditionally accepted already

What would you do if you were me? lol Also, cost is a factor. If I choose CalState or WNMU, we can pay cash for the M.A. With Morehead, I would need to take out some loans. Also, finishing a year sooner would help me get adjuncting sooner (well, nothing's guaranteed but it would help).
I'm done!
B.A. English, TESC, completed December 2008

Tests passed: A/I Lit-73, Mgmt-71, Amer Lit-73, Tech Writing-64, Criminal Justice-56, Here's to Your Health-65, Law Enforcement-60
PatsGirl1 Wrote:So I have narrowed it down to 2 M.A. programs. I am looking to teach at a Community College in either English/Literature, History, or general Humanities. Generally 18 grad credits is required to teach a subject.

I found the following:
Cal State-Dominguez Hills online M.A. in Humanities. You can specialize in one subject- I would do Literature. Cost is about $6360+ books/extras. Would take about 12-16 months to finish. Con: it's a "concentration" in Literature, not an actual degree in it. Pros: Cost, time, I like the "name" recognition, and the classes sound really cool.

Western New Mexico Univ. online M.A. in Interdisciplinary Studies- you get two 18 credit concentrations. I would do History and English, making me qualified to teach two fields. Cost is about $6850+ books/extras. Would take a full 2 years to finish. Con: It would take longer, cost is more. Pros: 2 subjects I can teach, cost is still reasonable.

Or there's Morehead State's online M.A. in English. Traditional program. Cost is about $10,000-$11,000+ books/extras. Would take about 20-24 months to finish. Con: COST is a lot more, time, GRE required, name is something I can see being teased about, only qualified to teach one subject. Pros: It's a well-regarded program, I was conditionally accepted already

What would you do if you were me? lol Also, cost is a factor. If I choose CalState or WNMU, we can pay cash for the M.A. With Morehead, I would need to take out some loans. Also, finishing a year sooner would help me get adjuncting sooner (well, nothing's guaranteed but it would help).

Sorry- I have no clue which you should choose, I can't even decide for sure on mine; I will share a link that looks awesome for a lit lover! MA in English with a concentration on Multicultural Literature! Totally online. If I ever wanted another area to teach, this would be it.
ECU English Dept: Multicultural and Transnational Literatures Program

My humble opinion, is that your MA should specialize, so I would tend to not go with interdisciplinary studies. I think that approach at the bachelor's level is probably ok, many many people go with the Liberal Arts degree, but up in grad school I think it's time to become an expert in something Big Grin That, of course, is only my opinion!
Jennifer-
That's what I was thinking, too and I really like the program at MSU. The cost is just such a huge difference (I know, I know, $10/$11k actually isn't bad for an MA) and I do actually worry a teeny bit about the name (would it look ok on a resume?). However I called Michigan State and U of M (my home "highly regarded" state school) and actually both offices had heard of MSU. That's a plus.
I'm still torn, but I appreciate the help.
I tried to post on another site for feedback (where there are a lot more Master's/Doctorate seekers) but it locked me out and I can't register.
I'm done!

Tests passed: A/I Lit-73, Mgmt-71, Amer Lit-73, Tech Writing-64, Criminal Justice-56, Here's to Your Health-65, Law Enforcement-60
Pose your question over at...... forums.degreeinfo.com .....and you should get some good advice.
ShotoJuku +
A.S., B.S., M.S., MBA
IC Forums Senior Super Moderator  
Passing It On & Paying It Forward To All Just Starting or Completing Their Educational Journey!

Shoto's Passing Your Exam Advice Here --->   http://www.degreeforum.net/general-educa...#post59179
God Bless The USA :patriot:
ShotoJuku Wrote:Pose your question over at...... forums.degreeinfo.com .....and you should get some good advice.

Brian, that's the forums I can't get into that I wanted to post the question at. I registered about 3 months ago, and it tells me I don't have privileges to post. I can read everything.
I'm done!

PatsGirl1 Wrote:Brian, that's the forums I can't get into that I wanted to post the question at. I registered about 3 months ago, and it tells me I don't have privileges to post. I can read everything.

Send me a PM with your degreeinfo info and I'll send it to admin over there...
ShotoJuku +
A.S., B.S., M.S., MBA
IC Forums Senior Super Moderator  
Passing It On & Paying It Forward To All Just Starting or Completing Their Educational Journey!

Shoto's Passing Your Exam Advice Here --->   http://www.degreeforum.net/general-educa...#post59179
God Bless The USA :patriot:
Ok thanks. I sent you the information for the 2nd account I created (since that one and the 1st one don't work either). Hopefully eventually it will.

Thanks!
I'm done!

Or can someone post it over there for me?
I'm done!

The problem is that they send an e-mail with a link to:

http://www.degreeinfo.com/forums/registe...etc,etc>

When it should be:

http://forums.degreeinfo.com/register.ph...etc,etc>

Copy the link in the e-mail they send and edit it accordingly, and you can get your registration completed properly.

I can't find a link to the administrator's e-mail over there, or I'd let him know about the problem.

-Gary-
Thanks G-
Even after I log in, I get:

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:
You are not logged in. Fill in the form at the bottom of this page and try again.
You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

I'm frustrated! lol I've been trying to post for like 3 months.
I'm done!

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  U.S. Department of Education considers a degree as a high school equivalency ArshveerCheema 12 485 05-19-2024, 11:09 PM
Last Post: bluebooger
  Teen walks at graduation after completing doctoral degree at 17 lisarox 9 388 05-17-2024, 11:09 PM
Last Post: jg_nuy
  Online Ivy League degree programs that require less than a week on campus sanantone 30 6,789 04-28-2024, 01:15 PM
Last Post: Jonathan Whatley
  New UK Bachelors Degree Online coming soon! Leedeedee 1 392 04-03-2024, 11:54 AM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  Cheapest degree in graphic design? blablablox 10 816 03-30-2024, 12:44 PM
Brick Want a bachelor's degree in 3 years? University of Minnesota, Morris is trying... Ares 8 690 02-24-2024, 06:04 PM
Last Post: natshar
  Just 16% of community college students transfer and earn a bachelor’s degree Ares 6 656 02-14-2024, 01:13 PM
Last Post: davewill
  Atlantic Technological University Interesting Bachelor degree offering from Ireland durain 0 330 02-12-2024, 02:58 AM
Last Post: durain
  The First 3-Year Degree Programs Win Approval Ares 10 1,072 02-07-2024, 03:40 PM
Last Post: NotJoeBiden
  NA to RA Degree Plan Assistance McManus 8 2,312 01-29-2024, 04:59 PM