Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Help with TESU BA CS plan, please
I've spent some time trying to figure out a degree plan to go off of. TESU doesn't seem to offer that many relevant CS UL classes, which is frustrating. Did I do it right? Am I missing something? I think I'd like the data analysis degree, but if you still have to pay the residency waiver on that one then that sucks. 

Also, is this all there is as far as being able to test out of the math degree? TESU doesn't even offer all the courses listed under electives so it makes it hard to tell what might be upper or lower level elsewhere.  
  • Calculus I - ASU or Saylor - LL
  • Calculus II - Straighter Line - LL
  • Calculus III - RA school - UL
  • Linear Algebra - Coopersmith - UL
  • Statistics - ALEKS/Sophia - LL
  • College Geometry - Study.com - UL
  • Discrete math - Study.com - LL
  • Concepts in Math - Coopersmith - UL
  • Trigonometry - ALEKS - LL

Attached Files
.xlsx   2020 TESU BA CS.xlsx (Size: 9.65 KB / Downloads: 19)
[-] The following 2 users Like rachel83az's post:
  • inf, stevenphm
There are only two Ul course from coopersmith. Those are the only alt credit UL math I can think of. I don't think study.com's geometry is UL I believe it transfers in as LL.

Good luck finding UL calc iii at an RA school besides TESU and even if you do TESU would probably be cheaper. If you want to do the math degree I feel like the easiest route is taking courses at TESU and avoid the wavier. The only exception would be if you happen to have UL math credit from before.

Comp science is actually not too hard to plan. All the aos besides one UL elective can be done through study.com. for the one UL you can do coopersmith or tecep (maybe but you need approval). Also straighterline as a LL comp science course and onlinedegree.com has one as well. Also saylor has LL comp science too. It think a couple cleps and dssts count as LL com sci too. But you dont have to use those you can just use study.com.
The problem with CS is that I would prefer to take actually relevant classes and not just any random one. I really have no desire to study network engineering, for instance, if it can be avoided. All of the actual programming stuff is LL. And I see now that I only have 5 potentially UL courses rather than the 6 that are needed.
You need 15 UL credits total.
Here are the ACE/NCCRS credits you can pick from.

Systems Analysis & Design 302 (study.com)
Database Management 303 (study.com)
Management Information Systems 303 (study.com)
Computer Architecture 306 (study.com)
Network Technology CMP-354 (TECEP)
Linear Algebra (CooperSmith NCCRS)

If TESU doesn't take a class as UL or not in the CS degree plan then it won't count.
Degrees: BA Computer Science, BS Business Administration with a concentration in CIS, AS Natural Science & Math, TESU. 4.0 GPA 2022.
Course Experience:  CLEP, Instantcert, Sophia.org, Study.com, Straighterline.com, Onlinedegree.org, Saylor.org, Csmlearn.com, and TEL Learning.
Certifications: W3Schools PHP, Google IT Support, Google Digital Marketing, Google Project Management
(05-12-2020, 03:12 AM)rachel83az Wrote: The problem with CS is that I would prefer to take actually relevant classes and not just any random one. I really have no desire to study network engineering, for instance, if it can be avoided. All of the actual programming stuff is LL. And I see now that I only have 5 potentially UL courses rather than the 6 that are needed.
If you have 5UL courses done then you are good the 6th comes from the capstone
Well, you need to be careful with those math classes. I don't know if they'll take Calculus III for upper level computer science electives. Linear Algebra, yes.
OnlineDegree
Intro to Marketing and Strategy ($9) | Intro to Microeconomics ($9)

Study
Intro to Managerial Accounting ($70) | Advanced Accounting ($70) | Managerial Accounting ($80) | Intermediate Accounting 2 ($90) | Intermediate Accounting I ($90) | Cybersecurity Policies & Management ($80) | Management Information Systems ($80) | Data Structures & Algorithms ($80) | Intro to Programming ($70) | Computer Architecture ($70) | Calculus ($80) Database Management ($80)
Systems Analysis & Design ($70) | Discrete Math ($80) | Intro to Operation Systems ($80)

Saylor.org
Intro to Computer Science I ($25)
(05-12-2020, 08:18 AM)natshar Wrote:
(05-12-2020, 03:12 AM)rachel83az Wrote: The problem with CS is that I would prefer to take actually relevant classes and not just any random one. I really have no desire to study network engineering, for instance, if it can be avoided. All of the actual programming stuff is LL. And I see now that I only have 5 potentially UL courses rather than the 6 that are needed.
If you have 5UL courses done then you are good the 6th comes from the capstone
Ah, the capstone counts as UL credits? That's good.

(05-12-2020, 12:12 PM)udi Wrote: Well, you need to be careful with those math classes. I don't know if they'll take Calculus III for upper level computer science electives. Linear Algebra, yes.

I was hoping to double-major in comp. sci. and math. If it were only a class or two missing for math, I'd go that route. But I guess I'll have to go pure comp. sci.
Westcott Courses (transcripted on Brandman, RA credit)
Calc III $544
Linear Algebra $569
Abstract Algebra $973 (UL)

West Texas A&M Self-Paced ($699/course)
MATH3340: Calculus III
MATH 3342: Differential Equations

Study.com's Geometry course comes into TESU as LL.

Statistics.com has TONS of math courses for $549/course. There are also ones that will work in CompSci I think. They even have some grad-level courses.
TESU BSBA/HR 2018 - WVNCC BOG AAS 2017 - GGU Cert in Mgmt 2000
EXAMS: TECEP Tech Wrtg, Comp II, LA Math, PR, Computers  DSST Computers, Pers Fin  CLEP Mgmt, Mktg
COURSES: TESU Capstone  Study.com Pers Fin, Microecon, Stats  Ed4Credit Acct 2  PF Fin Mgmt  ALEKS Int & Coll Alg  Sophia Proj Mgmt The Institutes - Ins Ethics  Kaplan PLA
awhile back (few months maybe ??)
someone posted that TESU wouldn't accept Westcott's Calc 3
I thought that was ridiculous and posted the syllabus of Westcott's Calc 3 and TESU's Calc 3 and showed that they were pretty similar and told the person they should appeal
they did and still the same result --- TESU wouldn't accept it
(05-13-2020, 01:51 AM)dfrecore Wrote: Westcott Courses (transcripted on Brandman, RA credit)
Calc III $544
Linear Algebra $569
Abstract Algebra $973 (UL)

West Texas A&M Self-Paced ($699/course)
MATH3340: Calculus III
MATH 3342: Differential Equations

Study.com's Geometry course comes into TESU as LL.

Statistics.com has TONS of math courses for $549/course.  There are also ones that will work in CompSci I think.  They even have some grad-level courses.

Thanks, I didn't even think about Statistics.com. Of course TESU accepts them. I'd have to do some budgeting, but between that and Texas A&M (assuming TESU accepts it), that looks possibly doable. Otherwise, I'll just do CS and an ASNSM in Math.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Advice on UMPI plan and transfer credits before jumping in dhiness 1 83 Yesterday, 11:43 AM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  Possible TESU BACS + BS CIS/BSBA Finance Advice bigsquirrel7 1 81 04-23-2024, 12:53 PM
  BS IT - TESU or Purdue ChickenEnjoyer 1 80 04-23-2024, 11:36 AM
  Tips on how I can best plan my future Mems88 5 578 04-20-2024, 09:22 PM
  Advice on Transfer Credits for CS and Math at TESU Frederico.Sandoval 1 125 04-20-2024, 11:29 AM
  Degree Plan Advice dm.hans32 9 627 04-18-2024, 07:06 AM
Last Post: dm.hans32
  SNHU BS Data Analytics course plan, advice? sole13 8 256 04-17-2024, 02:03 PM
Last Post: sole13
  TESU or somewhere else for IT/CS related degree? tdat314 6 256 04-17-2024, 01:34 PM
Last Post: rachel83az
  LUO or TESU for BSBA kimberlyagapril 5 206 04-16-2024, 01:06 PM
Last Post: jg_nuy
  Teaching plan? Piwi737 9 378 04-07-2024, 10:32 PM