Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Help with advice while in Europe
So, it's been a couple of years since I last logged in here. I had enrolled at TESU and was taking courses when life went in a different direction. Long story short, I'm an American citizen quarantining in Europe right now. What's the current cheapest way to get a degree from scratch? (I've been poking around but I don't see current info.) Am I out of luck with TESU since I never actually got any credit with them? 

I don't even know what degree I'd go for, if I could choose all of them. Something that gives me good prospects on the international job market but, right now, who knows what that will even look like in a few years.
I'm also an American living in Europe, currently working towards a degree from TESU. I can't see why there'd be an issue with your locale - both Sophia and ASU Earned Admission, for example, are fine with European addresses.

Since they're currently free, you might want to start on at least of few Sophia courses for your Gen Eds, but I'd really prioritise figuring out the specific degree direction you want to go in, since that'll shape what sort of credits you need to get.
I'd have to dig through my post history to find out what I was going for before (I can't remember for the life of me), but I'm pretty sure that it required at least a few CLEP or similar exams (possibly DANTES?) that weren't really possible for people outside the US. Definitely going to start on Sophia in the morning.

I would prefer something that leads towards a master's in education, perhaps, but I suppose computer sciences or business could also be useful.
When did you apply to TESU and when were you accepted?  Can you log into your TESU OSS and see your student status/date?  If you're still enrolled, you can view your Academic Evaluation in OSS, if you can't access the Academic Evaluation then it has elapsed.

Start with an ACE registry account, do all the Sophia.org & TEEX courses add them to ACE.  Decide on a degree and school. You can get all the required remainder of the courses from StraighterLine & Study.com combo.  Here's a lengthy post of mine: https://www.degreeforum.net/mybb/Thread-...#pid304993

I wouldn't worry about anything right now but to get started again since you've got the time.  Skip the thoughts of the Masters, you can think of doing a Competency-Based Masters at Walden or another provider later.  Focus on the Bachelors...

Note: If you can access your academic evaluation, copy/paste your details in the thread, we can see which degree might be easiest for you.  If you can't access it, copy/paste your course details in the thread and we'll look into it further.
In Progress: Walden MBA | TESU BA Biology & Computer Science
Graduate Certificate: Global Management & Entrepreneurship, ASU (Freebie)

Completed: TESU ASNSM Biology, BSBA (ACBSP Accredited 2017)
Universidad Isabel I: ENEB MBA, Big Data & BI, Digital Marketing & E-Commerce
Certs: 6Sigma/Lean/Scrum, ITIL | Cisco/CompTIA/MTA | Coursera/Edx/Udacity

The Basic Approach | Plans | DegreeForum Community Supported Wiki
~Note~ Read/Review forum posts & Wiki Links to Sample Degree Plans
Degree Planning Advice | New To DegreeForum? How This Area Works

[Image: e7P9EJ4.jpeg]
I fought with the system a bit and managed to log in; I am not a current student at TESU. It appears to have expired in March of last year. Can't access academic evaluation.

I thought I had finished some stuff through Shmoop but apparently not. I do remember being insanely frustrated by Shmoop so maybe I never did finish whatever it was.

Found and logged into ACE and it only has a couple of entries:

American Institute For Chartered Property Casualty Underwriters, Insurance Institute of America AICP-0121 Course 03/20/2018
SOPHIA Learning, LLC Developing Effective Teams SOPHIA Learning, LLC SOPH-0021 Course 03/19/2018

Currently working through English Comp. I at Sophia.
(04-22-2020, 10:06 AM)rachel83az Wrote: I fought with the system a bit and managed to log in; I am not a current student at TESU. It appears to have expired in March of last year. Can't access academic evaluation.

I thought I had finished some stuff through Shmoop but apparently not. I do remember being insanely frustrated by Shmoop so maybe I never did finish whatever it was.

American Institute For Chartered Property Casualty Underwriters, Insurance Institute of America AICP-0121 Course 03/20/2018
SOPHIA Learning, LLC Developing Effective Teams SOPHIA Learning, LLC SOPH-0021 Course 03/19/2018

Do you  feel that your could take more than once course from Sophia at a time? The courses I'm enrolled in at Sophia do not require papers. From other posts in the board, it appears that getting your papers back will take some time. Rather than sit around twiddling your thumbs, maybe you could take other courses. Also, are you speaking another language (other than English) in your country of quarantine? If so, maybe you can do some research for tests that can certify your knowledge, and give you college credits. If COVID-19 has shown us anything, it's that the world is incredibly small. Speaking, reading, and writing in a foreign language may be helpful post-quarantine.
(04-22-2020, 12:35 PM)LongRoad Wrote:
(04-22-2020, 10:06 AM)rachel83az Wrote: I fought with the system a bit and managed to log in; I am not a current student at TESU. It appears to have expired in March of last year. Can't access academic evaluation.

Do you  feel that your could take more than once course from Sophia at a time? The courses I'm enrolled in at Sophia do not require papers. From other posts in the board, it appears that getting your papers back will take some time. Rather than sit around twiddling your thumbs, maybe you could take other courses. Also, are you speaking another language (other than English) in your country of quarantine? If so, maybe you can do some research for tests that can certify your knowledge, and give you college credits. If COVID-19 has shown us anything, it's that the world is incredibly small. Speaking, reading, and writing in a foreign language may be helpful post-quarantine.

I'll probably enroll in something else at Sophia, once I get to the papers part. 

Unfortunately, as far as foreign languages go, I've only been able to find Spanish as an option. Spanish is not super useful to me at the moment; I'm not in Spain nor am I planning to live there. I could probably do German, but I haven't been able to find anywhere that offers German as an online test credit. I'm not anywhere near a test center so I can't do a CLEP for German.
(04-22-2020, 01:28 PM)rachel83az Wrote:
(04-22-2020, 12:35 PM)LongRoad Wrote:

I'll probably enroll in something else at Sophia, once I get to the papers part. 

Unfortunately, as far as foreign languages go, I've only been able to find Spanish as an option. Spanish is not super useful to me at the moment; I'm not in Spain nor am I planning to live there. I could probably do German, but I haven't been able to find anywhere that offers German as an online test credit. I'm not anywhere near a test center so I can't do a CLEP for German.

ACTFL has several options for German, and uses the testing site LTI: https://www.languagetesting.com/ltiapi/index/products/

Depending on how fluent you are, you can get up to 6cr UL & 6cr LL for the OPIc and WPT, and up to 6cr LL for the RPT and LPT.
TESU BSBA/HR 2018 - WVNCC BOG AAS 2017 - GGU Cert in Mgmt 2000
EXAMS: TECEP Tech Wrtg, Comp II, LA Math, PR, Computers  DSST Computers, Pers Fin  CLEP Mgmt, Mktg
COURSES: TESU Capstone  Study.com Pers Fin, Microecon, Stats  Ed4Credit Acct 2  PF Fin Mgmt  ALEKS Int & Coll Alg  Sophia Proj Mgmt The Institutes - Ins Ethics  Kaplan PLA
[-] The following 1 user Likes dfrecore's post:
  • rachel83az
(04-22-2020, 01:35 PM)dfrecore Wrote: ACTFL has several options for German, and uses the testing site LTI: https://www.languagetesting.com/ltiapi/index/products/

Depending on how fluent you are, you can get up to 6cr UL & 6cr LL for the OPIc and WPT, and up to 6cr LL for the RPT and LPT.

Ooh, I don't remember seeing that before, thanks! It looks like, for TESU, they only have the WPT and OPI©. I'll have to beef up my studying so I can actually pass them.
(04-22-2020, 02:18 PM)rachel83az Wrote:
(04-22-2020, 01:35 PM)dfrecore Wrote: ACTFL has several options for German, and uses the testing site LTI: https://www.languagetesting.com/ltiapi/index/products/

Ooh, I don't remember seeing that before, thanks! It looks like, for TESU, they only have the WPT and OPI©. I'll have to beef up my studying so I can actually pass them.

I don't think that's true - I think they'll take the RPT and LPT as well, it's just a matter of what they come in as so as not to duplicate the other exams.
TESU BSBA/HR 2018 - WVNCC BOG AAS 2017 - GGU Cert in Mgmt 2000
EXAMS: TECEP Tech Wrtg, Comp II, LA Math, PR, Computers  DSST Computers, Pers Fin  CLEP Mgmt, Mktg
COURSES: TESU Capstone  Study.com Pers Fin, Microecon, Stats  Ed4Credit Acct 2  PF Fin Mgmt  ALEKS Int & Coll Alg  Sophia Proj Mgmt The Institutes - Ins Ethics  Kaplan PLA

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Advice Needed for School & Degree Plan diablo 8 618 01-04-2024, 04:58 PM
Last Post: allvia
  Burnout advice anewmanx 13 2,571 11-18-2023, 08:46 PM
Last Post: anewmanx
Question Seeking advice - should I switch degrees? impasta 15 3,169 06-09-2023, 02:00 PM
Last Post: allvia
  Nutrition & Fitness - degree advice lumina 10 1,025 01-23-2023, 02:08 PM
Last Post: lumina
  Need advice to get either 30 credits and be registered at a school or 60 suzycupcake 20 1,971 06-18-2022, 10:38 PM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  Warren Buffett Has 1 Key Piece of Career Advice for College Kids LevelUP 2 683 03-08-2022, 03:20 PM
Last Post: Tedium
  Liberal Studies evaluation in Germany - Europe Kab 1 682 01-29-2022, 05:15 PM
Last Post: FrHaseKopf
  Any Project Managers on this board? Seeking advice collegechick 3 949 12-21-2021, 07:02 PM
Last Post: ashkir
Question Is an Ivy-League Nursing school even worth it? Plus I need some advice too 2L8 25 5,614 09-19-2021, 10:51 AM
Last Post: Alpha
Star TESU or WGU? Advice needed, Ground 0, want to be as realistic as possible! OP88 15 4,045 05-29-2021, 12:36 PM
Last Post: OP88