Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Help with degree plan for Bachelor Science Geology
Hi Everyone,
My 14 year old daughter will be finishing high school next semester 2 months short of her 15 birthday.
She wants a bachelor degree in Geology and we I am need help in trying to map out a plan for Charter Oaks States or any of the big 3 using shmoop, clep and study.com

Thanks in advance
well here are some degree outlines for brick & mortar schools

I don't know how'd you fulfill them online

scroll down to see course plan for each semester
Bachelor of Science in Geology - University of Houston

and here's another school
https://www.unlv.edu/sites/default/files...eology.pdf

scroll down to see course plan for each semester
Bachelor of Science in Geology : IUPUI Bulletins

here is an online Bachelors in geology
and if you live in Florida its not too expensive
but if you don't live in Florida, its a lot of money
Online Bachelor of Arts in Geology Degree | UF Online

might be better off doing an associates in something and fulfilling all the general ed requirements and then applying to a brick & mortar school for the last two years to get the bachelors
None of the Big 3 offers a degree in Geology.

One of the things we recommend here for things like this (impossible to test out of): you could get a BA in General Studies for about $5000 via test-out, and then spend the big bucks on a Masters degree in Geology.
TESU BSBA/HR 2018 - WVNCC BOG AAS 2017 - GGU Cert in Mgmt 2000
EXAMS: TECEP Tech Wrtg, Comp II, LA Math, PR, Computers  DSST Computers, Pers Fin  CLEP Mgmt, Mktg
COURSES: TESU Capstone  Study.com Pers Fin, Microecon, Stats  Ed4Credit Acct 2  PF Fin Mgmt  ALEKS Int & Coll Alg  Sophia Proj Mgmt The Institutes - Ins Ethics  Kaplan PLA
The closet thing at Excelsior would be a degree in Natural Science with a Geology focus. I'm not sure where the best place to get Upper Level Science classes would be- but they will have to come from a traditional college. The only Upper Level science tests I know of are Uexcel's Pathophysiology and Bioethics.

There plenty of LL credits through testing. CLEP has Natural Science, Biology and Chemistry. Those three tests equal 18 credits. You can get Lab credit through Straighterline (a little pricey) or your Community College. DSST has Astronomy, Environment and Humanity, Health, and Principles of Physical Science. Study.com has Geology, Environmental Science, Physics, etc... Saylor Academy has an Environmental Ethics/Law course.

I would start was those three CLEP tests, since Natural Science, Biology and Chemistry credits are going to required anywhere you go for a Geology degree.
Credit Sources:
Guilford Technical Community College (59)
U.S Army Training
ALEKS
Study.com
Straighterline
Shmoop
DSST
UExcel
OakLakeNC Wrote:The closet thing at Excelsior would be a degree in Natural Science with a Geology focus. I'm not sure where the best place to get Upper Level Science classes would be- but they will have to come from a traditional college. The only Upper Level science tests I know of are Uexcel's Pathophysiology and Bioethics.

There plenty of LL credits through testing. CLEP has Natural Science, Biology and Chemistry. Those three tests equal 18 credits. You can get Lab credit through Straighterline (a little pricey) or your Community College. DSST has Astronomy, Environment and Humanity, Health, and Principles of Physical Science. Study.com has Geology, Environmental Science, Physics, etc... Saylor Academy has an Environmental Ethics/Law course.

I would start was those three CLEP tests, since Natural Science, Biology and Chemistry credits are going to required anywhere you go for a Geology degree.

I wouldn't spend any time on the CLEP tests yet, since you don't know if the college you'll end up with will accept the exams. Instead, I would spend my time researching schools and degrees to figure out where I would want to go. If you do end up at one of the Big 3, you will probably want butt-in-seat science classes on the transcript. Those are really important, and probably a requirement if she wants to continue on at grad school. Even if she doesn't, I'm not sure what kind of job she would want to get, and what they would look at, if she tested out of everything. With science, that seems a big risk to take.
TESU BSBA/HR 2018 - WVNCC BOG AAS 2017 - GGU Cert in Mgmt 2000
EXAMS: TECEP Tech Wrtg, Comp II, LA Math, PR, Computers  DSST Computers, Pers Fin  CLEP Mgmt, Mktg
COURSES: TESU Capstone  Study.com Pers Fin, Microecon, Stats  Ed4Credit Acct 2  PF Fin Mgmt  ALEKS Int & Coll Alg  Sophia Proj Mgmt The Institutes - Ins Ethics  Kaplan PLA
Thank you, we live in Ontario Canada. She is doing her last year of High school and 90s average in all sciences. Yes, I would be interested in testing out and then go pay for the brick and mortal school for her Masters.
Thank you so much
Nice to read a youth likes Geology!:hurray:
Non-Traditional Undergraduate College Credits (634 SH): *FTCC Noncourse Credits (156 SH) *DSST (78 SH) *CPL (64 SH) *JST Military/ACE (48 SH) *CBA (44 SH) *CLEP (42 SH) *FEMA IS (40 SH) *FEMA EM (38 SH) *ECE/UExcel (30 SH) *PLA Portfolio (28 SH) *EMI/ACE (19 SH) *TEEX/ACE (16 SH) *CWE (11 SH) *NFA/ACE (10 SH) *Kaplan/ACE (3 SH) *CPC (2 SH) *AICP/ACE (2 SH) *Sophia/ACE (2 SH) and *FRTI-UM/ACE (1 SH).
Non-Traditional Graduate College Credits (14 SH): AMU (6 SH); NFHS (5 SH); and JSU (3 SH).

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Searching for Fire Science Credits CGaboury 6 540 01-11-2024, 12:45 AM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  Sophia US History for PUG as a Social Science requirement faresayari 5 648 05-20-2023, 08:15 PM
Last Post: faresayari
  Sophia is adding Science Labs ashkir 25 3,343 12-21-2022, 09:10 PM
Last Post: KSoul
  My Action Plan Indy73 2 665 12-03-2022, 08:55 PM
Last Post: Indy73
  Question re: SDC Computer Science 204 - Database Programming raekwon 6 1,525 11-25-2022, 11:51 AM
Last Post: LevelUP
  Coursera Plan of Attack spohara 0 560 09-02-2022, 11:16 AM
Last Post: spohara
  SDC: Computer Science 107 vs Analytics 103? raekwon 7 1,682 06-13-2022, 01:58 AM
Last Post: LevelUP
  LL Political Science Courses Jennr2z 2 758 06-02-2022, 07:23 AM
Last Post: Jonathan Whatley
  Will a basic plan work for me while I submit my SDC assignments? acethroughcollege 2 701 05-25-2022, 11:48 AM
Last Post: rachel83az
  What are the quickest social science options for the BOG? Midnightsky7 13 1,393 05-05-2022, 03:51 PM
Last Post: ss20ts