Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Helping My Brother Work Toward Associates
(11-30-2020, 08:39 AM)Whitepines Wrote: An AA is fine. He is not going to go beyond an Associates and doesn't need RA over NA, but UofP is almost all text based. 

Well, if he went UotP, he could possibly go this route:

Apply = $60.
Do one UotP course at a time, over the course of a year. 5 courses x $120 = $600.
Complete 15 courses via Sophia. They will accept up to 45 transfer credits for the ASBA. $17 transfer fee x 15 courses = $255. 
UotP total = $915.

I don't know how long it would take him to do 15 Sophia courses. Averaging 1 course per week would take 4 months. I guess that would be about $320.

$915 UotP + $320 Sophia = $1235. No books to buy, no graduation fee.

UotP terms are 8 weeks long. My experience (having done only 2 courses there) was there was a good bit of writing assigned. Now, if I would have been happy with just a PASSING grade, I could have coasted through easily.

UotP does take ACE. I don't know anything about how the Acclaim thing works now. If Acclaim mentions "ACE-recommended", it should be good, but I don't KNOW that.

Personally, I think the Pierpont option may be the easiest, and certainly a LOT cheaper than the Big 3 options. I don't know how much writing would be required for the 4 TEL Learning courses. 4 community college courses may be better for the necessary RA credits.
College (146): RA (134), NA (12)
ACE-recommended (105): Sophia (53), Study (28), Google (12), TEEX (10), Institutes (2)
ECTS (69): ENEB (65), LUT (2), XAMK (2)
IN PROGRESS:

Certificate- Google Data Analytics
Bachelor- Cybersecurity Technology (105/120) /
 Organizational Leadership (99/120)
Certification- CompTIA A+
DONE:
Certificate- Google IT Support

Associates- Business Administration /  BoG (History)
Undergrad certificate- Computer Networking
MBA
Personally, I would not recommend UotP. Too many papers to write. Pros and cons of different colleges include:
  • Pierpont: AAS is technically free. Requirements are extremely lax for an Associate's degree. As long as the employer accepts this, Pierpont's degree will be the easiest to get, academically-speaking. The process is a bit convoluted, but it's not difficult to complete the requirements. Approximate cost: $1700 ASU EA credits.
  • COSC: Cheapest of the Big 3 when it comes to getting an AA or an AS. However, both English Comp I and II will be required, as far as I am aware (Pierpont does not require them). Sophia's English Comp I & II classes are relatively easy but may or may not be doable for someone with a learning disability. 12 RA credits + the cornerstone class at COSC are required. Approximate cost: $2200 in COSC fees + $1700 ASU EA credits = $3900
  • TESU: Most expensive of the Big 3 for an AA degree. They also require English Comp I and II. However, they do not require the 12 RA credits. Everything for the basic AA degree can be completed at Sophia except for American Government (which can be had at InstantCert.com for about $45) and TESU's cornerstone class. The cornerstone class may be a bit challenging for your brother, but it is easy enough that some students have finished it within a day or two. Approximate cost: $5000 TESU fees + $45 at InstantCert.
  • Excelsior: Most inscrutable of the Big 3. Their exact requirements change depending on what degree you're trying to get. I think it's possible to transfer in almost everything needed for an Associate's from Sophia. However, they do require you to take 7 credits through them to TESU and COSC's 3 credits. This makes them both more challenging than the others but also the most expensive Associate's degree. Excelsior would not be recommended in this instance. Approximate cost: $5200 Excelsior fees.
I didn't include Sophia in the above calculations because it's subscription-based and the time needed will depend upon the degree that is being pursued. 6 months of Sophia would add another $475 to the above fees.
In progress:
TESU - BA Computer Science; BSBA CIS; ASNSM Math & CS; ASBA

Completed:
Pierpont - AAS BOG
Sophia (so many), The Institutes (old), Study.com (5 courses)
ASU: Human Origins, Astronomy, Intro Health & Wellness, Western Civilization, Computer Appls & Info Technology, Intro Programming
Strayer: CIS175, CIS111, WRK100, MAT210
[-] The following 3 users Like rachel83az's post:
  • ctcarl, Pikachu, Whitepines
(11-30-2020, 07:50 PM)rachel83az Wrote: Personally, I would not recommend UotP. Too many papers to write. Pros and cons of different colleges include:
  • Pierpont: AAS is technically free. Requirements are extremely lax for an Associate's degree. As long as the employer accepts this, Pierpont's degree will be the easiest to get, academically-speaking. The process is a bit convoluted, but it's not difficult to complete the requirements. Approximate cost: $1700 ASU EA credits.
  • COSC: Cheapest of the Big 3 when it comes to getting an AA or an AS. However, both English Comp I and II will be required, as far as I am aware (Pierpont does not require them). Sophia's English Comp I & II classes are relatively easy but may or may not be doable for someone with a learning disability. 12 RA credits + the cornerstone class at COSC are required. Approximate cost: $2200 in COSC fees + $1700 ASU EA credits = $3900
  • TESU: Most expensive of the Big 3 for an AA degree. They also require English Comp I and II. However, they do not require the 12 RA credits. Everything for the basic AA degree can be completed at Sophia except for American Government (which can be had at InstantCert.com for about $45) and TESU's cornerstone class. The cornerstone class may be a bit challenging for your brother, but it is easy enough that some students have finished it within a day or two. Approximate cost: $5000 TESU fees + $45 at InstantCert.
  • Excelsior: Most inscrutable of the Big 3. Their exact requirements change depending on what degree you're trying to get. I think it's possible to transfer in almost everything needed for an Associate's from Sophia. However, they do require you to take 7 credits through them to TESU and COSC's 3 credits. This makes them both more challenging than the others but also the most expensive Associate's degree. Excelsior would not be recommended in this instance. Approximate cost: $5200 Excelsior fees.
I didn't include Sophia in the above calculations because it's subscription-based and the time needed will depend upon the degree that is being pursued. 6 months of Sophia would add another $475 to the above fees.

If you don't need to worry about proctored exams, then TEL is probably still a better (and half the price of) ASU.  The fact that it's self-paced is also a big plus.  Not all of EA/ASU courses are, and that may be a major issue for someone with issues (and you didn't say he had anxiety issues, or issues with testing).  My daughter is going to do a course soon, I'm happy to give input here once she's started.

EC requires a capstone for the AA/AS degrees, so that's out.

TESU is awfully pricy for an AA.  The raise/promotion better be big to justify the outlay of cash there.
TESU BSBA/HR 2018 - WVNCC BOG AAS 2017 - GGU Cert in Mgmt 2000
EXAMS: TECEP Tech Wrtg, Comp II, LA Math, PR, Computers  DSST Computers, Pers Fin  CLEP Mgmt, Mktg
COURSES: TESU Capstone  Study.com Pers Fin, Microecon, Stats  Ed4Credit Acct 2  PF Fin Mgmt  ALEKS Int & Coll Alg  Sophia Proj Mgmt The Institutes - Ins Ethics  Kaplan PLA
[-] The following 2 users Like dfrecore's post:
  • Pikachu, Whitepines
(11-30-2020, 04:08 PM)bjcheung77 Wrote: What state are you in? Hopefully not in the state of confusion.  Anything but that!  This is what I suggest, a mix and match combo of credits to get your brother an AAS or AA from Pierpont or COSC.  He should look at getting credits in this order... Local/County or State Community College Online classes and Online Regionally Accredited courses, and then ACE, as he will need at least 12 credits from RA sources.  Maybe take 1 community college online course or one RA course while working on his ACE credits.  Essentially - Skip the NCCRS credits, so that means no Onlinedegree.com just yet
We're in Maryland. I'll see what the community college has going on for the winter semester. It is not the easiest to navigate.
Completed Degrees:
BA Education, Towson University 
BA Christian Leadership, Christian Leaders Institute 2023

ADDITIONAL GRAD CREDIT:
SCSU (9 Cr)
NationsU (6 Cr)
Walden MBA (3 Cr)

CERTIFICATES:
Certificate in Post-Crisis Hospitality Management - University of South Florida, Muma College of Business 2020
(11-30-2020, 08:02 PM)dfrecore Wrote: If you don't need to worry about proctored exams, then TEL is probably still a better (and half the price of) ASU.  The fact that it's self-paced is also a big plus.  Not all of EA/ASU courses are, and that may be a major issue for someone with issues (and you didn't say he had anxiety issues, or issues with testing).  My daughter is going to do a course soon, I'm happy to give input here once she's started.

None of the ASU courses I posted are self-paced. The only ASU course that is self-paced that I might recommend in this instance would be algebra and that's only if there are no difficulties with math. However, having taken them myself, I can confidently assert that very little reading is required for the courses. The video lectures are quite thorough. Each week's content can be completed in 1 or 2 days, even if one has difficulties in reading.

The TEL Learning classes are mostly text-based (from what I can tell) and are probably not appropriate for the student in question. Some of this can be mitigated by using Speechify or another screenreader but it's not going to be anywhere near as engaging as ASU EA. In most cases, I agree with steering students towards the cheaper option. But, sometimes, you have to pay a bit more for something that will be a better fit for your needs.
In progress:
TESU - BA Computer Science; BSBA CIS; ASNSM Math & CS; ASBA

Completed:
Pierpont - AAS BOG
Sophia (so many), The Institutes (old), Study.com (5 courses)
ASU: Human Origins, Astronomy, Intro Health & Wellness, Western Civilization, Computer Appls & Info Technology, Intro Programming
Strayer: CIS175, CIS111, WRK100, MAT210
[-] The following 2 users Like rachel83az's post:
  • ctcarl, Pikachu
My son has some learning issues and was able to graduate with the BOG AAS from Pierpont Community and Technical College last December. He took classes very successfully from our local CC but they do not accept ACE credit, so he had lots of credit he couldn't use, so he applied to Pierpont and pursued the BOG AAS via distance learning. He ended up graduating Cum Laude. He doesn't have much academic confidence, so this was great for him. He is considering applying for a selective diploma program through our local CC next. I am not sure he will ever want to pursue a 4 year degree, but seeing the confidence having an AAS has given him, it is a very good thing.
23 year old son: BOG AAS from Pierpont CTC Dec 2019
Myself: BS Business/French-1991, Masters of Rehabilitation Counseling-1995, Completed the Poetry in America Series from HES for 20 credits in English in May 2019.
[-] The following 2 users Like hsfamfun's post:
  • Pikachu, rachel83az

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  BOG Associates electives Cttwidd 5 682 01-24-2024, 09:55 PM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  Question about Pierpont Associates Math/Science requirement kcstudent 6 485 11-02-2023, 05:26 PM
Last Post: kcstudent
  My Brother is a Pierpont Graduate! mohelena02 7 892 07-24-2023, 10:13 AM
Last Post: staceydiane
  Associates at Columbia Southern University learningthehardway 5 943 06-11-2023, 03:36 AM
  What Credits Do I need to finish Pierpont Associates BOG? PellmellShell 27 2,710 05-23-2023, 01:47 PM
Last Post: PLEX
  Associates degree a week before high school graduation bjcheung77 2 654 05-12-2023, 12:36 AM
  Associates degree suggestions - confused about Pierpont/TESU, CLEP polices, etc um2023 18 1,641 04-03-2023, 02:49 AM
  Georgia State University Online Associates smartdegree 5 1,063 03-07-2023, 11:32 PM
Last Post: jsh1138
Exclamation Purdue Global Associates in IT - Planning Help Pikachu 18 1,711 08-28-2022, 02:36 PM
Last Post: ss20ts
  Pierpont Associates (AAS) and UMPI Bachelor's degree Excel template EducationSeeker 13 1,978 07-14-2022, 05:32 PM
Last Post: EducationSeeker