Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Higher Ed Professors??
To prepare myself for graduate school and just out of mere curiosity I decided to read University of Mount Olive's college catalog.

I first flipped to the page that lists the school faculty to check out credentials and I was happy to see that most (if not all) of the professors hold a PHD.
I was also a bit surprised to see these degrees come from a few predominantly known "online" colleges including: CapellaU, UofP, WaldenU and ArgosyU. Their Professor of Music only holds a diploma in music. This is very interesting to me. So maybe when it comes to working in higher education the name of the institution takes a back seat to the skill and knowledge acquired?

---If you have not noticed, my curiosity has been peaked since I have decided a possible career in higher education-- This will undoubtedly change a year from now...

Anywho, just sharing some info..

found this is the catalog: "Ninety percent of the full-time faculty hold earned terminal degrees in their field of study."
Bachelor of Science in Professional Studies
Open College @ Kaplan University
Completed
April 2016

Master of Business Administration
Kaplan University now Purdue University
In Progress
32 out of 60 credits earned
I think as long as the professors have a Masters or two, it's enough to be a teacher in their field of study.
As that level of knowledge already is sufficient enough to teach students at the undergrad level (yr 1-4).
Ph.D. IMHO is more of a research degree, where they document their findings, it's not required unless teaching at the Masters level.
In Progress: Walden MBA | TESU BA Biology & Computer Science
Graduate Certificate: Global Management & Entrepreneurship, ASU (Freebie)

Completed: TESU ASNSM Biology, BSBA (ACBSP Accredited 2017)
Universidad Isabel I: ENEB MBA, Big Data & BI, Digital Marketing & E-Commerce
Certs: 6Sigma/Lean/Scrum, ITIL | Cisco/CompTIA/MTA | Coursera/Edx/Udacity

The Basic Approach | Plans | DegreeForum Community Supported Wiki
~Note~ Read/Review forum posts & Wiki Links to Sample Degree Plans
Degree Planning Advice | New To DegreeForum? How This Area Works

[Image: e7P9EJ4.jpeg]
The MFA is a terminal degree. As for the non-traditional PhDs, they are fine when you're teaching at unranked or very lowly-ranked schools. Otherwise, rankings play a huge role in where you will teach. In my field, if you went to a school that is ranked #20, don't expect to get a job at a top 5 school. You would have to do something amazing to get them to consider you.
Graduate of Not VUL or ENEB
MS, MSS and Graduate Cert
AAS, AS, BA, and BS
CLEP
Intro Psych 70, US His I 64, Intro Soc 63, Intro Edu Psych 70, A&I Lit 64, Bio 68, Prin Man 69, Prin Mar 68
DSST
Life Dev Psych 62, Fund Coun 68, Intro Comp 469, Intro Astr 56, Env & Hum 70, HTYH 456, MIS 451, Prin Sup 453, HRM 62, Bus Eth 458
ALEKS
Int Alg, Coll Alg
TEEX
4 credits
TECEP
Fed Inc Tax, Sci of Nutr, Micro, Strat Man, Med Term, Pub Relations
CSU
Sys Analysis & Design, Programming, Cyber
SL
Intro to Comm, Microbio, Acc I
Uexcel
A&P
Davar
Macro, Intro to Fin, Man Acc
futuremrsmlb Wrote:To prepare myself for graduate school and just out of mere curiosity I decided to read University of Mount Olive's college catalog.

I first flipped to the page that lists the school faculty to check out credentials and I was happy to see that most (if not all) of the professors hold a PHD.
I was also a bit surprised to see these degrees come from a few predominantly known "online" colleges including: CapellaU, UofP, WaldenU and ArgosyU. Their Professor of Music only holds a diploma in music. This is very interesting to me. So maybe when it comes to working in higher education the name of the institution takes a back seat to the skill and knowledge acquired?

---If you have not noticed, my curiosity has been peaked since I have decided a possible career in higher education-- This will undoubtedly change a year from now...

Anywho, just sharing some info..

found this is the catalog: "Ninety percent of the full-time faculty hold earned terminal degrees in their field of study."

When I taught culinary arts full time, my AOS was a terminal degree in my field (that has since changed). It just means they've gone as high as they can in their field. Transfer programs at the community college and above all want Masters in the field or Masters in any field with 18 cr in the field. That's really the minimum. If you're teaching in a terminal program (like AOS/AAS) then the education is wide open. It can be no degree (as in the case of truck driving) or certifications (as with graphic design) or licenses (as with cosmetology). My husband's university offers graduate degrees, but their "college policy" is that an earned doctorate is the minimum. They have multiple options at the undergraduate level that include, but are not limited to, master's degrees.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Some Master’s Degrees Are the Second Biggest Scam in Higher Education LevelUP 18 3,022 02-11-2023, 07:06 PM
Last Post: aslhou
  Searching for info on online teaching certification for higher ed DIGI-212 3 2,013 12-22-2022, 03:30 PM
Last Post: dfrecore
  Competency Based EdS/MEd in Higher Ed? DeanLewis 5 1,073 10-23-2022, 08:59 AM
Last Post: ss20ts
  Higher Ed Teaching Certificate from Harvard (non-credit, post-secondary)) DIGI-212 0 1,147 05-14-2020, 10:20 PM
Last Post: DIGI-212
  Do professors actually care? Exfactor 11 1,855 01-19-2017, 07:30 PM
Last Post: cardiacclep