Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
How can I ensure the text stays within the container and doesn't overflow?
I'm working on a JavaScript function that is supposed to calculate the sum of all elements in an array. However, when I run the code, it doesn't return the expected result. I've tried debugging it, but I can't seem to figure out the issue. Can someone please take a look at my code and help me identify what's causing the problem?

Code:
function calculateSum(arr) {
 let sum = 0;
 for (let i = 0; i <= arr.length; i++) {
   sum += arr[i];
 }
 return sum;
}

const numbers = [1, 2, 3, 4, 5];
const result = calculateSum(numbers);
console.log(result); // Output should be 15, but it's not

I'm expecting the function calculateSum to return the sum of all elements in the numbers array, which should be 15. However, the actual output I'm getting is different. Can someone please help me identify what's wrong with my code and suggest a fix? Thank you!
"I've tried debugging it,"

obviously not very well
just add some console.log statements in there , like this 
and you'll see the problem

Code:
function calculateSum(arr) {
let sum = 0;
for (let i = 0; i <= arr.length; i++) {
  console.log(i + ' = ' + sum);
  sum += arr[i];
}
console.log('sum = ' + sum);
return sum;
}

const numbers = [1, 2, 3, 4, 5];
const result = calculateSum(numbers);
console.log(result); // Output should be 15, but it's not
[-] The following 1 user Likes bluebooger's post:
  • tom22
This probably isn't the best place to look for such answers but I'll hopefully be able to help.

Your issue is that you are looping from i=0 to i <= arr.length which is wrong it should be i < arr.length. Since we start indexing from 0 the last element in your numbers array is at index 4, not 5. Since array.length equals 5 at the last step of the iteration you are trying to compute 15 + undefined (arr[5]) which doesn't make mathematical sense and results in a special number NaN (not-a-number). As bluebooger suggested the good way to debug is to print values after each iteration. I highly recommend reading MDN's documentation as they are great resource for JavaScript and web technologies https://developer.mozilla.org/en-US/docs/Web/JavaScript
Why does the text inside my <h1> tag exceed its container's width and overflow to the next line? I want the text to stay within the container without any overflow. Here's my HTML and CSS code:

HTML:

Code:
<!DOCTYPE html>
<html>
<head>
<link rel="stylesheet" type="text/css" href="styles.css">
</head>
<body>

<div class="container">
 <h1>Welcome to My Website with a Long Title</h1>
</div>

</body>
</html>

CSS (styles.css):

Code:
.container {
 width: 300px;
 border: 1px solid #ccc;
 padding: 20px;
}

h1 {
 font-size: 24px;
 margin: 0;
 padding: 0;
}
I expected the <h1> text to automatically adjust its size to fit within the container's width, but it overflows. How can I ensure the text stays within the container and doesn't overflow?

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Family Moves to Russia to Escape Woke LGBTQ Ideology, But It Doesn't Go Very Well Jonathan Whatley 3 1,321 03-11-2024, 08:04 PM
Last Post: LevelUP
  Text Neck Pro - FREE bjcheung77 1 1,101 12-29-2020, 05:07 PM
Last Post: SweetsugarNL
  Straighterline Text books Tasman 5 1,745 11-20-2010, 11:20 PM
Last Post: burbuja0512