Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
How do I do open book testing with ProctorU?
So I scheduled my first proctored exam for tomorrow. I read the straighterline instructions and it said to download SecureBrowser. I did, and tried it out... there is no way to have 2 tabs open. How am I able to access my e-textbook while taking the exam? The secure browser also would not close, there was absolutely no way to close it and I had to reboot my computer (i'm on a mac). This seems confusing... if anyone can let me know how they take open book exams on that thing i would appreciate it.

Mab81 Wrote:So I scheduled my first proctored exam for tomorrow. I read the straighterline instructions and it said to download SecureBrowser. I did, and tried it out... there is no way to have 2 tabs open. How am I able to access my e-textbook while taking the exam? The secure browser also would not close, there was absolutely no way to close it and I had to reboot my computer (i'm on a mac). This seems confusing... if anyone can let me know how they take open book exams on that thing i would appreciate it.

I never had to use SecureBrowser. Just Firefox.

You open the StraighterLine Final Exam page (on the page where they have the "Start this test" button). Then open the textbook. After everything is open, then go to ProctorU. They never had a problem with that setup, they just checked to make sure I wasn't running anything unauthorized (screen cap software or a second screen, mostly)
Master of Business Administration, Universidad Isabel I, 2021
Master in Management & Team Management, Universidad Isabel I, 2021
Master in International Trade, Universidad Isabel I, 2021
Master in Supply Chain Management, Universidad Isabel I, 2021
Master in Project Management, Universidad Isabel I, 2023

BS Information Technology, Western Governors University, 2017
AAS Cybersecurity, Community College, 2017
FEMA Emergency Management Certificate, 2017
Fundraising Specialization Certificate, Berkeley/Haas, 2020

Undergraduate Credits: 165 Semester Credits
Graduate Credits: 105 ECTS (52.5 Semester Credits)
Thorne Wrote:I never had to use SecureBrowser. Just Firefox.

You open the StraighterLine Final Exam page (on the page where they have the "Start this test" button). Then open the textbook. After everything is open, then go to ProctorU. They never had a problem with that setup, they just checked to make sure I wasn't running anything unauthorized (screen cap software or a second screen, mostly)

Hm, okay. The mandatory 'secure browser' rule came from the straighterline website. So maybe it's outdated. I guess I will find out tomorrow! thanks.

Mab81 Wrote:Hm, okay. The mandatory 'secure browser' rule came from the straighterline website. So maybe it's outdated. I guess I will find out tomorrow! thanks.

They may have updated it. I haven't used SL for a month now, but they have to have some way to let you use the book if it is an open-book test with an e-book, so if they give you trouble, I'd appeal with SL directly.
Master of Business Administration, Universidad Isabel I, 2021
Master in Management & Team Management, Universidad Isabel I, 2021
Master in International Trade, Universidad Isabel I, 2021
Master in Supply Chain Management, Universidad Isabel I, 2021
Master in Project Management, Universidad Isabel I, 2023

BS Information Technology, Western Governors University, 2017
AAS Cybersecurity, Community College, 2017
FEMA Emergency Management Certificate, 2017
Fundraising Specialization Certificate, Berkeley/Haas, 2020

Undergraduate Credits: 165 Semester Credits
Graduate Credits: 105 ECTS (52.5 Semester Credits)
I didnt even see the info about the secure browser. I just opened a window in chrome, opened the book in a new tab and logged in to the proctor session. So I had a proctor window, book tab and the test tab.
This is a straightforward process. You open the Straighterline course, click the Proctoring button. It should open up with another window for ProctorU.
Go through the setup/download and running of the ProctorU LogMeIn software and granting them access to your mouse/audio/video cam.
When you go back to the course, open the ebook by clicking a chapter in another tab, get to the final exam and they will enter in the password.
In Progress: Walden MBA | TESU BA Biology & Computer Science
Graduate Certificate: Global Management & Entrepreneurship, ASU (Freebie)

Completed: TESU ASNSM Biology, BSBA (ACBSP Accredited 2017)
Universidad Isabel I: ENEB MBA, Big Data & BI, Digital Marketing & E-Commerce
Certs: 6Sigma/Lean/Scrum, ITIL | Cisco/CompTIA/MTA | Coursera/Edx/Udacity

The Basic Approach | Plans | DegreeForum Community Supported Wiki
~Note~ Read/Review forum posts & Wiki Links to Sample Degree Plans
Degree Planning Advice | New To DegreeForum? How This Area Works

[Image: e7P9EJ4.jpeg]
[-] The following 1 user Likes bjcheung77's post:
  • gamebradie

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Is the Introduction to Religion REL 101 proctored exam at Straighterline open book? Breaachh 2 272 02-16-2024, 10:49 PM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  SL Business Statistics - is the final open-book? AW84 5 603 02-21-2023, 12:49 PM
Last Post: dfrecore
  Testing on Sophia elledee2020 6 2,207 02-02-2021, 10:08 AM
Last Post: elledee2020
  Two tabs/windows open in Sophia RizP 3 1,362 07-27-2020, 10:14 AM
Last Post: rachel83az
  OnlineDegree.com Is Finally Open ISKBizz15 182 44,539 07-03-2020, 12:14 AM
Last Post: PrettyFlyforaChiGuy
Big Grin Open Book Exam on Study.com FIN 301? meganelaine092 5 2,061 06-06-2020, 12:39 AM
Last Post: tjguitar85
  CIS Testing Discount natshar 8 1,452 05-13-2020, 02:17 PM
Last Post: romoh
  ProctorU darthweezy 3 712 02-25-2020, 01:39 PM
Last Post: darthweezy
  Straighterline Open Book Finals cookiecandle 14 9,896 02-23-2020, 06:11 PM
Last Post: rckola911
  Are some SL final exams open book?? cecilgambe7 5 1,274 09-02-2019, 02:26 PM
Last Post: cookderosa