Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
How do colleges know if you're doing multiple degrees at the same time ?
clep3705 Wrote:Right, if you ran a private college you can do whatever you want. But if you are running a taxpayer supported college, you have to think about spreading the resource out to benefit as many people as possible. Most of the cost of educating a student is borne by the taxpayers, not the students. Every student pursuing a second, third, or fourth bachelor's degree is taking a spot away from a first time college student.

That's true if admission is restricted, but TESU is an open enrollment program.
mednat Wrote:I see far more utility in the graduate degree.
You might. Others might not. Why restrict their choices simply because you disagree?

Quote:I'm sure if a compelling reason were to be presented
Compelling to whom? It's obviously compelling to the person pursuing the degree, and their judgement should carry more weight than anyone else's.

Quote:But to get annoyed at an institution for not encouraging this is a bit silly.
I'm not annoyed that the are not encouraging it, I'm annoyed that they are actively discouraging it -- especially when the reasons for doing so are based on faulty logic or assumptions about "what's best" for an "average" person, as an "average" person isn't going to pursue a 2nd or 3rd degree in the first place.

Those that want to do so should be allowed to do so, period.
TESU BSBA/GenMgmt, Graduation approved for March 2017
CR Sources: 75cr(StraighterLine), 15cr(Saylor), 6cr(ALEKS), 6cr(Kaplan, TESU), 12cr(PF), 6cr(CLEP)
Interesting so far and it's already 5 pages now. I'm hoping it will top the College Plus discussion in length. Let's do it!
63 CLEP Sociology
75 CLEP U.S. History II
63 CLEP College Algebra
70 CLEP Analyzing and Interpreting Literature
68 DSST Technical Writing
72 CLEP U.S. History I
77 CLEP College Mathematics
470 DSST Statistics
53 CLEP College Composition
73 CLEP Biology
54 CLEP Chemistry
77 CLEP Information Systems and Computer Applications
alzee Wrote:You might. Others might not. Why restrict their choices simply because you disagree?

I haven't restricted their choices, TESU has decided that as an institution they do not wish to offer this option. It is within their right to do that. I have stated that it doesn't usually help students. I don't pretend to offer an absolute truth, everything is relative, however these gray areas are typically handled by exemptions in policy matters.

alzee Wrote:Compelling to whom? It's obviously compelling to the person pursuing the degree, and their judgement should carry more weight than anyone else's.
To TESU of course, I don't claim to speak with authority. I'm just a humble alumni, with no desire to have power. Who is the person pursuing the degree? You make the argument with an abstract generalization, however when I do the same you point out that this is not always the case. Why should their judgement carry more weight than the degree granting institution? The interests of the two don't always align. TESU must keep not only keep students happy, but accreditation agencies , regulatory boards and a host of other stakeholders.

alzee Wrote:I'm not annoyed that the are not encouraging it, I'm annoyed that they are actively discouraging it -- especially when the reasons for doing so are based on faulty logic or assumptions about "what's best" for an "average" person, as an "average" person isn't going to pursue a 2nd or 3rd degree in the first place.

As I said, I am not sure why they made this decision. I was stating why I would not encourage someone to go for a third undergrad. I understand your point of view, and would agree wholeheartedly if TESU was the only available option in the world. However, it's not. It is an independent institution that retains the right to make it's own policies and rules. As a student, I have the right to pick an institution who's rules I can stomach or pack up my toys and play elsewhere. I chose TESU, because of their policies (generous transfer credit allowance). It's a students responsibility to review a schools policies prior to application.

alzee Wrote:Those that want to do so should be allowed to do so, period.

Again why are they entitled to get as many degrees as they want? To what extent should TESU assist a student in obtaining a degree that the institution itself has found (for whatever reason) it not beneficial to offer? I don't like being told what I can and can't do just as much as anyone else, but me dictating what an institution can and can't do without taking any effort to get involved with the institution is a bit hypocritical. If you, as a student, have a strong disagreement with a policy, I see a couple of distinct options.

1.) Work to change it - Most schools have a method to exercise change either on a large scale (policy change) or small scale (exemption). My guess is, a small scale exemption would not be hard to obtain if there is a solid reason for wanting the degree.
2.) Choose another school - There are TONS of options in education. We are not force fed one school, with one policy. If you don't agree with the policies of another school, choose a different one. I'm sure many schools would allow a third undergrad without justification.

I get the feeling that you dislike any limiting of your actions by an institution. I get it. I dislike it when the government in particular limits my actions without good cause. This is not the same, because there are literally thousands of other schools to choose from. What you are proposing is limiting the autonomy of an institution, because it does not align with your beliefs, which is the exact same thing caused you to protest.
Currently studying for: Still deciding.

Done!
2020 - Harvard Extension School - ALM IT Management 
2019 - Harvard Extension School - Graduate Certificate Data Science
2018 - Harvard Extension School - Graduate Certificate Cyber Security
2016 - WGU - MBA Mgmt & Strategy
2015 - Thomas Edison State College - BSBA Marketing & CIS
mednat Wrote:I haven't restricted their choices
You weren't accused of so doing.

mednat Wrote:I don't pretend to offer an absolute truth, everything is relative
Say no more.

Quote:What you are proposing is limiting the autonomy of an institution

I did not propose such a thing. I pointed out that a particular decision they (and most other institutions) have autonomously made is illogical and presumptuous.
TESU BSBA/GenMgmt, Graduation approved for March 2017
CR Sources: 75cr(StraighterLine), 15cr(Saylor), 6cr(ALEKS), 6cr(Kaplan, TESU), 12cr(PF), 6cr(CLEP)

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  A Guide to Jesuit Colleges LevelUP 2 305 Yesterday, 10:21 AM
Last Post: Charles Fout
  Will online degrees become worthless because of AI? blablablox 12 837 04-20-2024, 03:28 PM
Last Post: NotJoeBiden
  Associate degrees??? midnite123 10 692 04-03-2024, 09:08 AM
Last Post: bluebooger
  UVEG - Inexpensive Official Degrees in Mexico bjcheung77 13 1,868 03-28-2024, 03:30 AM
Last Post: Kab
Exclamation How many colleges and universities have closed since 2016? Ares 0 186 03-25-2024, 11:02 PM
Last Post: Ares
  The 100 Most Popular Accredited Online Colleges for 2024 LevelUP 2 352 03-20-2024, 05:47 AM
Last Post: nyvrem
  Colleges bring back ACT/SAT after finding test-optional policies hurt minorities LevelUP 1 210 03-16-2024, 11:17 PM
  Eastern University Self-Paced online Degrees natshar 2 782 03-06-2024, 10:03 PM
Last Post: jumlouh
  University of California System Bans Fully Online Degrees davewill 23 3,816 03-01-2024, 10:57 AM
  Diné College: $55 Credit Hour, $660 Full Time (12+ credits) Ares 19 1,971 02-23-2024, 11:14 AM
Last Post: bjcheung77