Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
How do you do more than one grad class a semester?
sanantone Wrote:17-20 pages per week for two courses? Let me put Amberton on a list of schools to never attend.

This is my first master's program, and I do not know how rigorous other programs are, but as with all things, there is obviously a wide spectrum of difficulty between institutions. I probably write just over 100 pages per course per 10-week semester. Seems to challenge me, and I am liking what I am learning, so to each their own I guess. To be honest, I wouldn't want it to be anymore intensive lol! I'm already too busy as it is.
MSN - Complete
BSN - Complete
ASN - Complete
MA - Complete
BA - Complete
AA - Complete
Hunter91 Wrote:This is my first master's program, and I do not know how rigorous other programs are, but as with all things, there is obviously a wide spectrum of difficulty between institutions. I probably write just over 100 pages per course per 10-week semester. Seems to challenge me, and I am liking what I am learning, so to each their own I guess. To be honest, I wouldn't want it to be anymore intensive lol! I'm already too busy as it is.

More work does not always equal more rigorous or more intellectually challenging, in my opinion. When I took courses at Colorado Technical University, they required a lot of writing for undergraduate courses. The only thing that was challenged was my time management. A lot of the assignments were pointless, and I learned very little. One of the most challenging courses I took was one that only required one paper which we wrote in sections. My paper was only about 11 pages without attachments. We also had to do a PowerPoint presentation and an essay exam, but we didn't even write 50 pages. We read a lot, though.
Graduate of Not VUL or ENEB
MS, MSS and Graduate Cert
AAS, AS, BA, and BS
CLEP
Intro Psych 70, US His I 64, Intro Soc 63, Intro Edu Psych 70, A&I Lit 64, Bio 68, Prin Man 69, Prin Mar 68
DSST
Life Dev Psych 62, Fund Coun 68, Intro Comp 469, Intro Astr 56, Env & Hum 70, HTYH 456, MIS 451, Prin Sup 453, HRM 62, Bus Eth 458
ALEKS
Int Alg, Coll Alg
TEEX
4 credits
TECEP
Fed Inc Tax, Sci of Nutr, Micro, Strat Man, Med Term, Pub Relations
CSU
Sys Analysis & Design, Programming, Cyber
SL
Intro to Comm, Microbio, Acc I
Uexcel
A&P
Davar
Macro, Intro to Fin, Man Acc
I am going through the ENMU programme now and like it.
sanantone Wrote:More work does not always equal more rigorous or more intellectually challenging, in my opinion. When I took courses at Colorado Technical University, they required a lot of writing for undergraduate courses. The only thing that was challenged was my time management. A lot of the assignments were pointless, and I learned very little. One of the most challenging courses I took was one that only required one paper which we wrote in sections. My paper was only about 11 pages without attachments. We also had to do a PowerPoint presentation and an essay exam, but we didn't even write 50 pages. We read a lot, though.

I agree with this. There is definitely a difference in demonstrating knowledge/research/proficiency and busy work. I have very little patience for busy work, and would avoid a program that encourages alot of it. Any masters program should be fairly heavy on writing, but if I'm not gaining any knowledge in the process it's time to find another program.

I don't believe that there is anything wrong with the pace you have. There are so many variables, and we all have different priorities. It may be worthwhile to take a step back and review your initial reasons for wanting a graduate degree. What do you gain by having the degree? Do you gain more by getting it sooner? Is it worth the sacrifice you're going to have to make to get it sooner?

My desire to accelerate through my MBA degree was driven largely by my belief that it would provide immediate help to my career, therefore there was a large incentive to complete it quickly. I was in a position at work and in my personal life to focus on this and knew that that freedom would not last. My current goal of a degree in psych from patten is for personal fulfillment. I pay per month, however I do not have a huge incentive to finish quickly and enjoy taking in the material. I will finish this degree more slowly, and won't feel guilty about it for one second.

Best of luck! I have no doubt you CAN do more classes, but the real question I would ask is "Is it worth it?".
Currently studying for: Still deciding.

Done!
2020 - Harvard Extension School - ALM IT Management 
2019 - Harvard Extension School - Graduate Certificate Data Science
2018 - Harvard Extension School - Graduate Certificate Cyber Security
2016 - WGU - MBA Mgmt & Strategy
2015 - Thomas Edison State College - BSBA Marketing & CIS
I did two courses at a time for awhile and it burned me out. I went back to one per term and liked it better. Everyone is different so it would be based on the individual. If you work long hours and a have a family, two is rough as there is "always something" going on. It is very doable but I think you don't absorb as much as you could with one. But there is something for just banging it out and moving on with your life. It seems the longer a program lasts the more life has a way of side tracking you.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  nitstharya - Grad School Top Up Recommendation nitstharya 1 188 04-10-2024, 04:23 PM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  Article bashes Harvard Extension ALM Grad smartdegree 50 8,570 12-25-2023, 09:32 AM
Last Post: posabsolute
  European Grad Studies Abroad: Cost of Living vs Low Tuition Fees bjcheung77 7 1,446 12-23-2023, 08:43 PM
Last Post: nykorn
  Seeking a grad school OTmina 4 1,105 10-11-2023, 11:13 PM
Last Post: OTmina
  Time to start thinking post grad, and don’t know where to start Insert Name 7 971 07-09-2023, 10:43 AM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  Looking for online Grad Cert. or Masters Program RoliJoli 4 1,133 03-27-2023, 05:41 PM
Last Post: sanantone
  New Amberton Grad Cert ss20ts 0 568 03-25-2023, 03:36 PM
Last Post: ss20ts
  IUBH - Another low cost European Grad option posabsolute 18 6,046 03-21-2023, 03:13 PM
Last Post: JPN
Exclamation Reading through this board for cheap grad schools but don't see MITx or Coursera??? Randyb100 30 4,806 12-06-2022, 06:27 PM
Last Post: LevelUP
  40 Low GPA Grad Schools & Advice to Help You Get In LevelUP 8 1,399 11-08-2022, 11:50 AM
Last Post: sanantone