Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
How does Financial Aid work if trying to get a degree from TESU??
Like I said, I've done it before, so I can't imagine it wouldn't work for TESU. I messed around a bit on their website and what I could see was that you couldn't get the FULL award unless you were taking at least 6 credits, but nothing about denying you ANY if you had under that.

Let's hope that I DON'T have to try, haha! Still trying to pass this TECEP. But, I think there will be people soon who will be needing to take the capstone course, so if you can get it down from 1500 to about...idk, 350? Due to the Study.com pricing and FAFSA, it's not terrible at all.
My journey to TESU BSBA-GM
The Institutes (2cr): Business Ethics
Liberty University (27cr): INFT, International Business, Apologetics, Microeconomics, Biology, Non-Profit Management, Financial Acct., Computer Apps, Managerial Acct.
Liberty University MOOC (3cr): US Hist
Study.com (39cr): American Government, Environmental Science, Sociology, Psychology, Labor Relations, Marketing with Electronic Media, Principles of Finance, Business Communications, HR Management, Civil War/Reconstruction, History of Vietnam War, Personal Finance, Introduction to Marketing
Straighterline (39cr): Western Civ II, Financial Accounting, Cultural Anthropology, AmHist I, AmHist II, Intro to Religion, Business Statistics, Principles of Management, English II, Business Law, Intro to Comm, Org. Behavior, Macroeconomics
ALEKS (3cr): College Algebra
TEEX (2cr): Cyber Security for Business Professionals
TESU (3cr): Strategic Management TECEP
UExcel (3cr): English 101
TESU has four terms. Schools without traditional semesters, which includes TESU, are viewed in 6-month periods. In order to receive a full award, you'll need to take 12 credits per six months or 24 credits per year. I think you can also get away with six credits in three months because I did a half of a semester and six credits at a CC and received a quarter of my award for the school year.

Half-time students only need to earn half as many credits, but they will only get half of the award they qualify for. Since TESU's terms are three months each, your award will be disbursed in quarters. If you don't pass the minimum number of credits required for your enrollment status, then the school will have to send your aid back to the government and charge you directly.

Let's say that you can take three credits for a three-month term. You'll only receive an eighth of your award for the school year.
Graduate of Not VUL or ENEB
MS, MSS and Graduate Cert
AAS, AS, BA, and BS
CLEP
Intro Psych 70, US His I 64, Intro Soc 63, Intro Edu Psych 70, A&I Lit 64, Bio 68, Prin Man 69, Prin Mar 68
DSST
Life Dev Psych 62, Fund Coun 68, Intro Comp 469, Intro Astr 56, Env & Hum 70, HTYH 456, MIS 451, Prin Sup 453, HRM 62, Bus Eth 458
ALEKS
Int Alg, Coll Alg
TEEX
4 credits
TECEP
Fed Inc Tax, Sci of Nutr, Micro, Strat Man, Med Term, Pub Relations
CSU
Sys Analysis & Design, Programming, Cyber
SL
Intro to Comm, Microbio, Acc I
Uexcel
A&P
Davar
Macro, Intro to Fin, Man Acc
(08-13-2017, 12:03 PM)davewill Wrote: The study.com discount gets you in state pricing on comprehensive tuition.

http://www.tesu.edu/studycom/#faq_1502643698414_3752

I didn't know about this at all. I started comprehensive tuition plan in July 2017. I am planning to take 2 courses at study.com, if I do this will I be eligible for the special tuition discounts.
I just checked tesu' s website. It seems to say that you have to register for two classes in order to be eligible for financial aid. Although i have already taken the tecep, this will potentially be an issue in the future for anyone who will want to get financial aid for the capstone.

I am looking into this information for my son, as he's just starting his degree he will have to take the online capstone.... eventually. It would be nice if fafsa would cover part of it, but I guess we'll cross that bridge when we get there.
Goal: BSBA in Accounting through TESU, 150 credits, Credits so far: 137/150
Received: A.S. in Business Administration, Aug. 2016

Tests taken so far:
Cleps: Psychology (73), College Composition Modular (65), Social Science and History (67), Humanities (59), Marketing (72), Analyzing and Interpreting  Literature (77)
TECEP: Strategic Management Capstone (72)
Aleks: Statistics (71!)
Davar: International Management (82), Intro to Computing (80), American Government (79), Managerial Communications (70)
Study.com: Personal Finance (92), Human Growth and Development (84), Social Psychology (88) Human Resources Management (86)
The Institutes: (76)
Online Accounting Classes: Columbia College: Advanced Accounting, Tax II, TESU: Audit

Up ahead:
Study.com:  Costing, ?
Saylor: Intro to political Science?, Management Info. Systems?
TEEX
I suppose having to pay around 600-700 for two classes as opposed to 1100 for one class is still a better deal, but still, I would be curious to know if anyone has first-hand experience. I feel like your federal aid should be made available to you regardless, but yeah...hopefully I don't need to try and figure this out for myself but we'll see.
My journey to TESU BSBA-GM
The Institutes (2cr): Business Ethics
Liberty University (27cr): INFT, International Business, Apologetics, Microeconomics, Biology, Non-Profit Management, Financial Acct., Computer Apps, Managerial Acct.
Liberty University MOOC (3cr): US Hist
Study.com (39cr): American Government, Environmental Science, Sociology, Psychology, Labor Relations, Marketing with Electronic Media, Principles of Finance, Business Communications, HR Management, Civil War/Reconstruction, History of Vietnam War, Personal Finance, Introduction to Marketing
Straighterline (39cr): Western Civ II, Financial Accounting, Cultural Anthropology, AmHist I, AmHist II, Intro to Religion, Business Statistics, Principles of Management, English II, Business Law, Intro to Comm, Org. Behavior, Macroeconomics
ALEKS (3cr): College Algebra
TEEX (2cr): Cyber Security for Business Professionals
TESU (3cr): Strategic Management TECEP
UExcel (3cr): English 101
(08-14-2017, 03:24 AM)oldtown77 Wrote: I didn't know about this at all. I started comprehensive tuition plan in July 2017. I am planning to take 2 courses at study.com, if I do this will I be eligible for the special tuition discounts.

You'll have to ask. I would expect that since you already started the comprehensive year, you won't be able to do anything about that tuition.
NanoDegree: Intro to Self-Driving Cars (2019)
Coursera: Stanford Machine Learning (2019)
TESU: BA in Comp Sci (2016)
TECEP:Env Ethics (2015); TESU PLA:Software Eng, Computer Arch, C++, Advanced C++, Data Struct (2015); TESU Courses:Capstone, Database Mngmnt Sys, Op Sys, Artificial Intel, Discrete Math, Intro to Portfolio Dev, Intro PLA (2014-16); DSST:Anthro, Pers Fin, Astronomy (2014); CLEP:Intro to Soc (2014); Saylor.org:Intro to Computers (2014); CC: 69 units (1980-88)

PLA Tips Thread - TESU: What is in a Portfolio?
(08-14-2017, 11:17 AM)Gymfan15 Wrote: I suppose having to pay around 600-700 for two classes as opposed to 1100 for one class is still a better deal, but still, I would be curious to know if anyone has first-hand experience. I feel like your federal aid should be made available to you regardless, but yeah...hopefully I don't need to try and figure this out for myself but we'll see.

loans? Sure - you can borrow all day long. Grants? Not so much. Enrolling in 6 credits is really the bare minimum, and while I won't say HOW, zillions of students game that for free money - imo, they should tighten the purse strings a bit.
You might be able to get a private loan, but federal loans have the same requirements for minimum number of credit hours.
Graduate of Not VUL or ENEB
MS, MSS and Graduate Cert
AAS, AS, BA, and BS
CLEP
Intro Psych 70, US His I 64, Intro Soc 63, Intro Edu Psych 70, A&I Lit 64, Bio 68, Prin Man 69, Prin Mar 68
DSST
Life Dev Psych 62, Fund Coun 68, Intro Comp 469, Intro Astr 56, Env & Hum 70, HTYH 456, MIS 451, Prin Sup 453, HRM 62, Bus Eth 458
ALEKS
Int Alg, Coll Alg
TEEX
4 credits
TECEP
Fed Inc Tax, Sci of Nutr, Micro, Strat Man, Med Term, Pub Relations
CSU
Sys Analysis & Design, Programming, Cyber
SL
Intro to Comm, Microbio, Acc I
Uexcel
A&P
Davar
Macro, Intro to Fin, Man Acc
I know first-hand that you have to take at least 6 credits per term to receive FAFSA. I did 4 courses (1 - three credit class, and 3 - one credit classes) between January and April of 2017, and 1 - three credit class from March to May. I couldn't use any financial aid for any of it because of the way I had to stagger the classes and still be able to maintain my family and professional responsibilities. I'm glad I only have 2 more classes (7 credits) to finish through TESU in order to meet the 16 credit residency requirement because it gets pricey fast for us out-of-staters paying as you go. The 6-credit caveat applies to a scholarship I was looking into as well (NRC).

TESU - BS NEET (Nuclear Energy Engineering Technology) Credits 128/126.

TESU 19 Credits: TES-100, NUC-342-OL, CTR-212-OL, PHY-128-OL, PHY-129-OL, ENG-201-TE, NUC-490-OL, NUC-495-OL
STRAIGHTERLINE 19 Credits:  COM101, BUS106, CHEM101, CHEM101L, MAT150, MAT250, MAT251
CLEP 12 Credits: A&I Literature, College Comp II, Intro to Sociology, American Govt
NE (noncourse equivalency) 54 Credits: Various
B&M 24 Credits: Various
If you're at TESU, another option is to take courses from their 6 credit catalog. I took Social Psychology (6 cr) and it was nearly identical to every 3 cr course I took there- no major difference at all. So, in short, you are taking "1 class" but it's counting as 2 = financial aid awarded.

EDIT to add: I think Dfrecore made a list of all the 6 credit courses from TESU but I think it got erased when we had the software changeover. If not, you can search each course individually (ugh)

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  BALS COSC vs TESU AJ_Atlanta 7 4,002 09-22-2018, 11:22 PM
Last Post: dfrecore
  TESU Enrollment Question mysonx3 8 3,673 09-19-2018, 11:16 AM
Last Post: jsd
  What do i Do if an application asks for GPA with a degree from the Big 3? Crt 5 3,224 09-19-2018, 08:54 AM
Last Post: Johmford
  guided vs online tesu capstone shendaddy 18 6,129 09-19-2018, 06:07 AM
Last Post: armstrongsubero
  TESU Diversity mysonx3 8 3,666 09-18-2018, 02:56 PM
Last Post: allvia
  ACE Transcript To TESU ISKBizz15 4 2,744 09-17-2018, 05:32 PM
Last Post: ISKBizz15
  Study.com and TESU partnership? Jenna.C 2 2,362 09-17-2018, 12:50 PM
Last Post: Jenna.C
  TESU Liberal Studies with Concentration Class Options Jenna.C 2 2,607 09-17-2018, 11:25 AM
  Cornerstone Waiver for TESU if I already paid Jenna.C 3 2,337 09-16-2018, 06:09 PM
  TESU Certifcates? natshar 7 3,394 09-15-2018, 07:51 PM
Last Post: MNomadic