Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
How does SL courses transfer from one college to another
I'm currently taking a couple straighterline courses that I didn't feel comfortable CLEP'ing.  I ensured they were partnered with the community college I'm enrolled at and the courses have the equivalencies that I need.   What I haven't been able to find out is how those courses will transfer from that college to another.  If I send the straighterline courses for credit, get awarded my AAS (or not, just transfer credits), how do the credits transfer to another college that may not be partnered with straighterline?

For context, I'm currently enrolled at Rio Salado Community College.  An online school in Arizona.  I want to transfer to ASU, a state school and partner to Rio Salado.  If I send straighterline courses to Rio, and they accept and award credit based on those credits, will those credits still transfer to ASU even if they don't recognize straighterline courses?  

I hope people understand what I'm getting at.  My fear is I'll take these courses and loose the credits when I transfer to a school that isn't partnered with straighterline and I'll be forced to take them all over again.  It was my understanding the school awards me the equivalency credits, and when I transfer and send my transcripts they will reflect that.  But I am unclear.  Anyone have any idea how this works?
Since both schools are in Arizona, there is a pretty good chance that ASU will accept an AAS from Rio as block transfer credit. However, this is not guaranteed. You could, indeed, lose those credits. I would contact ASU admissions and tell them you're "about to graduate" (whether or not you actually are) from Rio with your AAS in Basketweaving* and ask if they will evaluate the courses separately for a BA in Wicker Furniture* or if they'll just bring it in as a GE credit block.

* Insert actual degrees here.
In progress:
TESU - BA Computer Science; BSBA CIS; ASNSM Math & CS; ASBA

Completed:
Pierpont - AAS BOG
Sophia (so many), The Institutes (old), Study.com (5 courses)
ASU: Human Origins, Astronomy, Intro Health & Wellness, Western Civilization, Computer Appls & Info Technology, Intro Programming
Strayer: CIS175, CIS111, WRK100, MAT210
I would be on the safe side and contact ASU and see if they will take a few alternative credits from ACE and the amount they will take.
And... This is an older blog, but a worthy read: https://www.straighterline.com/blog/get-...it-online/
For Nostalgia purposes: https://twitter.com/straighterline/statu...76?lang=en
In Progress: Walden MBA | TESU BA Biology & Computer Science
Graduate Certificate: Global Management & Entrepreneurship, ASU (Freebie)

Completed: TESU ASNSM Biology, BSBA (ACBSP Accredited 2017)
Universidad Isabel I: ENEB MBA, Big Data & BI, Digital Marketing & E-Commerce
Certs: 6Sigma/Lean/Scrum, ITIL | Cisco/CompTIA/MTA | Coursera/Edx/Udacity

The Basic Approach | Plans | DegreeForum Community Supported Wiki
~Note~ Read/Review forum posts & Wiki Links to Sample Degree Plans
Degree Planning Advice | New To DegreeForum? How This Area Works

[Image: e7P9EJ4.jpeg]
[-] The following 1 user Likes bjcheung77's post:
  • straighterline.com
(11-29-2020, 03:36 PM)bradliss13 Wrote: I'm currently taking a couple straighterline courses that I didn't feel comfortable CLEP'ing.  I ensured they were partnered with the community college I'm enrolled at and the courses have the equivalencies that I need.   What I haven't been able to find out is how those courses will transfer from that college to another.  If I send the straighterline courses for credit, get awarded my AAS (or not, just transfer credits), how do the credits transfer to another college that may not be partnered with straighterline?

For context, I'm currently enrolled at Rio Salado Community College.  An online school in Arizona.  I want to transfer to ASU, a state school and partner to Rio Salado.  If I send straighterline courses to Rio, and they accept and award credit based on those credits, will those credits still transfer to ASU even if they don't recognize straighterline courses?  

I hope people understand what I'm getting at.  My fear is I'll take these courses and loose the credits when I transfer to a school that isn't partnered with straighterline and I'll be forced to take them all over again.  It was my understanding the school awards me the equivalency credits, and when I transfer and send my transcripts they will reflect that.  But I am unclear.  Anyone have any idea how this works?

No. what you described is something new people on this fourm get confused about often. 

If ASU doesn't take Starighterline then it doesn't matter if they are on a Rio transcript or not. They still won't take them. ASU is not in the ACE credit directory so good chance they won't accept StraighterLine credits. Just because they are on Rio transcript it doesn't change anything.

An exception would be if there was a block transcript program. Fo example, I completed some of my gen eds using CLEPs. Then the University I went to didn't accept all of the CLEPs. So had I transferred in the courses individually they wouldn't count. However, they had a special program where if you had an associate's degree they waived all basic lower level gen eds. So it didn't matter if the specific courses didn't work because it was a block transfer and wavier (vs standard course for course transfer) However, most of the time when people transfer it is not a block transfer so you are probably out of luck.
(11-29-2020, 03:45 PM)rachel83az Wrote: Since both schools are in Arizona, there is a pretty good chance that ASU will accept an AAS from Rio as block transfer credit. However, this is not guaranteed. You could, indeed, lose those credits. I would contact ASU admissions and tell them you're "about to graduate" (whether or not you actually are) from Rio with your AAS in Basketweaving* and ask if they will evaluate the courses separately for a BA in Wicker Furniture* or if they'll just bring it in as a GE credit block.

You joke about the basketweaving, but there is a community college which offers an AA or AS in Individual Studies and you complete a whole bunch of arts/crafts courses at the local art center. You take classes in stained glass, pottery, and basket weaving. No joke. I almost peed my pants laughing when one of my friends was in that degree program back in the 90's. I always thought basketweaving 101 was a myth....turns out it wasn't! LOL

(11-29-2020, 03:36 PM)bradliss13 Wrote: I'm currently taking a couple straighterline courses that I didn't feel comfortable CLEP'ing.  I ensured they were partnered with the community college I'm enrolled at and the courses have the equivalencies that I need.   What I haven't been able to find out is how those courses will transfer from that college to another.  If I send the straighterline courses for credit, get awarded my AAS (or not, just transfer credits), how do the credits transfer to another college that may not be partnered with straighterline?

ACE credits - which is what credits from SL are - are not RA college credits like you're talking about. They do not transfer from one school to another. You need to have the original transcript they're on - the one from SL - sent to colleges. Many colleges will not accept ACE credit. Most of those that do are selective. I would confirm via email so you have a digital paper trail that ASU will accept these credits from SL.
[-] The following 1 user Likes ss20ts's post:
  • rachel83az
https://www.maricopa.edu/degrees-certifi...s-partners

Quote:Complete the Arizona General Education Curriculum: A foundation of completed general courses (35-37 credits) transfer as a block to ASU, NAU, and UA.

This doesn't guarantee that your SL courses will transfer but it does make it MUCH more likely that they will.
In progress:

Completed:
Pierpont - AAS BOG
ASU: Human Origins, Astronomy, Intro Health & Wellness, Western Civilization, Computer Appls & Info Technology, Intro Programming
(11-29-2020, 03:45 PM)rachel83az Wrote: Since both schools are in Arizona, there is a pretty good chance that ASU will accept an AAS from Rio as block transfer credit. However, this is not guaranteed. You could, indeed, lose those credits. I would contact ASU admissions and tell them you're "about to graduate" (whether or not you actually are) from Rio with your AAS in Basketweaving* and ask if they will evaluate the courses separately for a BA in Wicker Furniture* or if they'll just bring it in as a GE credit block.

You should never assume that just because 2 colleges are in the same state, that the 4yr school will accept the 2yr school credits as a block transfer.  It's is completely conditional, and I would assume that they will NOT accept things as a block transfer unless it specifically says so.

CA for instance, usually allows CC's to take DSST exams - but US-system and CSU-system schools will not take them.  Almost all CC's there accept CLEP exams, but UC-systems school will not take them, while CSU-system schools normally will.  If you get an AA from a CA CC, the CSU and UC schools will still look at where the credits come from before giving you a block transfer.  The CC's make this clear up front.
TESU BSBA/HR 2018 - WVNCC BOG AAS 2017 - GGU Cert in Mgmt 2000
EXAMS: TECEP Tech Wrtg, Comp II, LA Math, PR, Computers  DSST Computers, Pers Fin  CLEP Mgmt, Mktg
COURSES: TESU Capstone  Study.com Pers Fin, Microecon, Stats  Ed4Credit Acct 2  PF Fin Mgmt  ALEKS Int & Coll Alg  Sophia Proj Mgmt The Institutes - Ins Ethics  Kaplan PLA
(11-30-2020, 02:25 PM)dfrecore Wrote:

You should never assume that just because 2 colleges are in the same state, that the 4yr school will accept the 2yr school credits as a block transfer.  It's is completely conditional, and I would assume that they will NOT accept things as a block transfer unless it specifically says so.

CA for instance, usually allows CC's to take DSST exams - but US-system and CSU-system schools will not take them.  Almost all CC's there accept CLEP exams, but UC-systems school will not take them, while CSU-system schools normally will.  If you get an AA from a CA CC, the CSU and UC schools will still look at where the credits come from before giving you a block transfer.  The CC's make this clear up front.

I didn't say that they would. I said that there was a good chance. And then I found a link that shows that Rio degrees do transfer in a block of 35-37 credits.
In progress:

Completed:
Pierpont - AAS BOG
(11-30-2020, 03:47 PM)rachel83az Wrote:
(11-30-2020, 02:25 PM)dfrecore Wrote:

I didn't say that they would. I said that there was a good chance. And then I found a link that shows that Rio degrees do transfer in a block of 35-37 credits.

So your 60+cr AA/AS MAY transfer as a block to complete 35cr at ASU.  It's not a great tradeoff in my book.  I want 60cr for 60cr.

It's also unclear if they will accept the block transfer with SL courses included.  For instance, in CA (the state I'm from and which I know well), CC's will accept DSST exams towards an AA.  But, the articulation agreements show that even if you do the AA at a CC and want to transfer to a CSU-system school, those DSST exams will be specifically excluded.  Even though the CSU takes the "block transfer" of the AA/AS, it lays out how that AA/AS has to be done, and DSST is not one of your options.

So, I would do a lot more research before deciding to do this.  You need to dig a lot deeper.  Best case scenario, they take your AA and give you 60cr.  Middle, they take your AA and give you 35cr, and you're back to square one with trying to get more credit.  That's not something I'd feel comfortable telling someone to do.
TESU BSBA/HR 2018 - WVNCC BOG AAS 2017 - GGU Cert in Mgmt 2000
EXAMS: TECEP Tech Wrtg, Comp II, LA Math, PR, Computers  DSST Computers, Pers Fin  CLEP Mgmt, Mktg
COURSES: TESU Capstone  Study.com Pers Fin, Microecon, Stats  Ed4Credit Acct 2  PF Fin Mgmt  ALEKS Int & Coll Alg  Sophia Proj Mgmt The Institutes - Ins Ethics  Kaplan PLA

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Can sophia credit transfer to two different schools? GoBroncos95 11 311 Yesterday, 11:27 AM
Last Post: GoBroncos95
  Is there a list of which Sophia courses have touchstones? MaMichelle 9 7,290 04-17-2024, 06:22 AM
Last Post: mdn
  Excelsior Transfer Credits, limit? Stoffelhoff89 4 164 04-16-2024, 04:24 PM
Last Post: Stoffelhoff89
  Sophia English Comp II vs CLEP College Composition davemodular 15 896 04-09-2024, 01:33 PM
Last Post: rachel83az
  New Sophia Courses: Health, Fitness, and Wellness and Anatomy & Physiology II Lab LevelUP 16 877 04-08-2024, 11:51 AM
Last Post: Kab
  TEEX Cyber Security Courses / non US residents BritStudent 8 689 04-08-2024, 11:32 AM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  Transfer situation of Sophia Labs Kab 6 342 04-06-2024, 01:44 AM
Last Post: indigoshuffle
  The official guide to courses by Straighterline, Study, et al: We want YOUR input! aviator guy 378 468,438 03-18-2024, 07:25 PM
Last Post: RachelB
  AWIT Real-world Cloud Product (Coursera) Transfer cizzie 26 3,450 03-17-2024, 09:47 AM
Last Post: rachel83az
  How to get ACE credits such as Sophia on official college transcript Student3452 18 5,111 03-08-2024, 01:34 AM
Last Post: Gumbeaux