Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
How hard is Principles of Statistics DSST?
I've always been super average at math.  in high school I took algebra I&II, Geometry, Trigonometry I was a C+ to B- student, and this was 6+ years ago (I graduated in 2012).

For those who have passed Principles of Stat DSST, how hard do you think it is? consider my average math performance

also, what is your background and how did you prepare?

I have roughly 80 college credits so far, I passed the College Mathematics CLEP with a 56 a little over a year ago. that is my most recent exposure to math and I barely squeaked by with the 56
I think, based on taking the Stats course through Study.com, that it will be difficult for you. It has almost nothing to do with anything you've already learned. It will all be new material, and not easy even if you were a good math student.

I would say that you could take it for free on Khan Academy, at least to the point where you knew enough material to pass the course (meaning you don't have to go through 100% of it). There are also some YouTube videos you can watch.
TESU BSBA in HR, 2018
WVNCC BOG AAS,
GGU Cert in Management, 2000

EXAMS: TECEP Tech Writg, Engl Comp 2, LA Math, Public Rel, Computers  DSST Computers, Pers Fin  CLEP Mgmt, Mktg
COURSES: TESU Capstone  Study.com Pers Fin, Microecon, Stats  Ed4Credit Acct 2  PF Fin Mgmt  ALEKS Int Alg, Coll Alg  Sophia Proj Mgmt The Institutes - Ins Ethics  Kaplan PLA
B&M COURSESPalomar CollMission Coll, Golden Gate Univ, San Jose State Univ
(07-13-2018, 12:02 PM)Jitzman94 Wrote: I've always been super average at math.  in high school I took algebra I&II, Geometry, Trigonometry I was a C+ to B- student, and this was 6+ years ago (I graduated in 2012).

For those who have passed Principles of Stat DSST, how hard do you think it is? consider my average math performance

also, what is your background and how did you prepare?

I have roughly 80 college credits so far, I passed the College Mathematics CLEP with a 56 a little over a year ago. that is my most recent exposure to math and I barely squeaked by with the 56

I took that DSST. To give you my background, I did NOT take algebra, geometry and trig in high school (literally- never taken algebra) and I did the exam about 20 years after high school.

I needed stats as a prereq for grad school, and would have taken it as a class (I actually registered but had a tragedy and had to drop before it started) so long story short, by the time I was through the worst of it, I was nearly out of time for stats. I thought I could use ALEKS, so I did the Beg. Algebra class first and then started the Stats class. I couldn't get through it- it was terrible and torture, but I didn't quit, I thought if I could get some other help that I would make it. So, I watched the learner.org video series called Against All Odds (free streaming) which was REALLY REALLY REALLY helpful. It gave me a better context for what I was learning. So, then for the mathy part, I went to Khan Academy and started at the first video for stats/prob. I watched every video and worked every problem. I was working kinda fast, but made sure I understood before moving forward. Anyway, I was *almost* done with Khan, I think probably all but the last few lessons, and I randomly decided to attempt the DSST. If I failed, which I expected to do, I would finish Khan then go back and finish my ALEKS class. But, I didn't fail! I got a 441 (400 passing).

So, I don't know how to tell you to study since my approach was a little crazy, but if you want to get a leg up on this, check out the videos at learner.org and see what you think. Those made me really sure I could do it. (and there wasn't that much math actually - a lot of reading and interpreting data.)

EDIT to add: I found an old thread about me studying (10 years ago) and there were things I forgot to tell you. https://www.degreeforum.net/mybb/Thread-...statistics
Jennifer
10-year member

The dream is free.  Hard work sold separately.  

MS Nutrition, 2014 Canisius College, Buffalo, NY
BA Social Science, 2008 Thomas Edison State University, Trenton, NJ
AA General Studies, 2008 Thomas Edison State University, Trenton, NJ
AOS Culinary Arts,1990 Culinary Institute of America, Hyde Park, NY

Homeschooling for College Credit (blog)
Homeschooling for College Credit (book)
[-] The following 1 user Likes cookderosa's post:
  • dfrecore

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Intro to World Religions DSST test- what to use to study? tiffy1693 26 2,092 07-12-2018, 03:03 PM
Last Post: marinafior
  DSST Math for Liberal Arts vs. CLEP College Mathematics questions VanillaBean 6 186 07-10-2018, 10:15 PM
Last Post: eriehiker
  list of DSST exams expired 6/30/2018 cookderosa 2 194 07-03-2018, 08:46 AM
Last Post: cookderosa
  Art of the Western World DSST mia717 1 167 06-19-2018, 07:44 PM
Last Post: fhlb
  DSST Appeal DonB 4 251 06-16-2018, 01:48 PM
Last Post: DonB
  How to register for a DSST? fork 10 295 06-14-2018, 11:47 AM
Last Post: fork
  What's up with the Principles of Finance DSST? studyandpass5 6 270 06-05-2018, 02:24 PM
Last Post: studyandpass5
  DSST discount code SDO 1 187 06-01-2018, 01:38 PM
Last Post: studiousimp
  DSST - Substance Abuse Ram1500 0 157 05-20-2018, 08:12 AM
Last Post: Ram1500
  Need 14 credits for BS degree - DSST study Sources??? Hsandman 4 282 05-04-2018, 08:33 PM
Last Post: cookderosa