Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
How important is graded coursework for commissioning? (any/all branches)
Good evening all,

As I'm down to the last set of classes I need, it's come to attention that with the plan I currently have with TESC I'll only be getting graded on a few subjects, very few of which are related to my concentration (General Management, if it can be called a concentration). To save time I mostly took CLEP/DSST and at least 3 of my classes will be through TECEPs, all of which are higher level.

While I'm not exactly too hot on commissioning right now (mostly with an unsupportive leadership), somewhere down the line I'd like to at least try it. What got me curious though is if they care more about GPA in general (ie. would it be better to only be graded on "easy" courses), or if they'd weigh graded coursework more when it comes to judging commissioning packages.

Thank you all for any help.
Get in touch with the local officer recruiter and they should be able to answer any of your questions. Unless someone is in recruiting, they are going to be giving your best guess answers. I was an enlisted recruiter for the Air Force for a short time, but I know nothing about the officer recruiting side of the house.
I can only speak for my experience with USAF learners, as most of the students I advise come from there.

Most of them bring a bunch of ungraded credit from CCAF, I have seen some students with over 200 CCAF credits!!

What they tell me is that they need a 3.5 GPA in order to comission and a lot of them CLEP. We consider CLEP upper level so technically speaking a student can bring 64 credits from CCAF and 30 from CLEP/DANTeS and take the minimum residency of 30 credit hours, get a 3.5 and comission. None of my students has ever told me that their non-graded CCAF or CLEP/DANTES are an obstacle for them to comission.

If someone is planning to comission, I definitely recommend the Airforce instead of the Army or Marines. CCAF has articulation agreements with many colleges that guarantee you could finish your degree in 60 credits or less (many of those you could clep) , waive some geneds etc. Plus Airforce is more college friendly than the Army.

And if possible I would try to contact (if possible) an education office instead of a recruiter, as they deal with GPA issues on a daily basis.

Very sincerely,

Perico

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  commissioning in air force with TESC degree jemen 9 1,699 09-18-2012, 10:55 PM
Last Post: Spencebr