Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
How many books do you usually read a year?
If you can break it down into "academic"---history, literature, philosophy, etc.
or for pleasure--mysteries, etc.
Duuuuude, nuh-uh. I totally was just writing a paper and decided 'I absolutely must go to the Off-Topic IC right now and start a thread entitled How many books do you buy a year?' That is legitimately creepy :leaving:

So anyway, if you people could include how many you buy a year, that would be awesome Big Grin

For me.... I'm going to guesstimate:

Academic: 12 the only "academic" books that I don't read for pleasure are textbooks. Even if the other subjects are academic, I read them for pleasure, so I put them below.

Pleasure: 60-ish. This includes linguistics, psychology, sociology, and crime non-fiction books that I read for pleasure. Also includes classic literature and a whole lot of "regular" fiction too Big Grin I used to read a couple of books a week, but alas I no longer have time for that much reading Wink

As far as how many I buy a year is probably upwards of 55. What can I say, my library sells books for $1 and Goodwill for $.75!
TESC Criminal Justice BA '12
B&M Civil Engineering BS (In Progress)
I never counted, but I usually read as few textbooks as possible, I prefer study guides, sparknotes, flashcards etc.

I read LOTS of books for pleasure from Nora Roberts to Tom Clancy In the last year since I am not really dedicated to a degree plan I have probably read 100-150 books. Sometimes I don't read for a couple of weeks and other times I read a book a day.

As for buying I buy a lot of education books to hep me be a better teacher (I don't read these I just kind of jump around) I also buy many, many books when my church has a BIG book sale in Sept. $0.25 or 5/$1 paperbacks and $1 hardcovers. So total I probably buy 100 books a year. My house is overrun with books.
Linda

Start by doing what is necessary: then do the possible; and suddenly you are doing the impossible  St Francis of Assisi

Now a retired substitute Teacher in NY, & SC

AA Liberal Studies TESC '08
BA in Natural Science/Mathematics TESC Sept '10
AAS Environmental safety and Security Technology TESC  Dec '12
oh boy....I'm totally a reading nerd. Fewer paper books since my computer gets me almost everything I want- but no less than 2-3 hours per day for sure. I read a lot of food, wine, growing, food science books and current event mags (all food of course). I have a new one coming tomorrow called Joy of Mixology Smile

My library sells hard back for 25 cents and paperback for a dime, which beats goodwill (still 38 cents). Almost never fiction or classic literature (despite my best efforts, I've tried, really I have- and I "want to" love my Great Books Collection and my Harvard Classics library, really I do....) but I make my kids read a lot of classic and old fiction every day (I know, boo hisss) and so I've skimmed a lot of them. Like Linda, I also love to read study guides, I've read REA US History 1 twice Confusedmilelol:
I LOVE books! I don't know exactly how many I read but as many as I can! I tend to pick up more at garage sale and bookstores than I can read... (and have a fairly normal life at the same time) :coolgleam:

I usually read books that encourage me in my faith (or a christian biography) and the rest of the time it is CLEAN stories. (no romance novels!:ackSmile Every once and a while I will read an informational book or history book.
~*~ Rachel~*~
To everything there is a season,
and a time to every purpose under heaven.
Ec. 3:1

CLEP:
College Mathematics(6)--score 60
Analyzing and Interpreting Literature(6)--score 66
English Composition(6)--score 50
US History I(3)--score 63
US History II(3)--score 67
American Government(3)--score 59
Social Sciences and History(6)--score 58

DSST:
Introduction to Computing(3)--score 440
Management Information Systems(3)UL--score 406

ALEKS:
Beginning Algebra(3)
Intermediate Algebra(3)
College Algebra(3)

Straighter Line:
Intro to sociology
World Religions
Business Ethics
Western Civ. 1
Cultural Anthropology

To God be the glory!
cookderosa Wrote:My library sells hard back for 25 cents and paperback for a dime, which beats goodwill (still 38 cents).
I'm moving to IL!!!!
TESC Criminal Justice BA '12
B&M Civil Engineering BS (In Progress)
You can't even by a dime for a dime in NJ:roflol: We always get told our church is selling the books too cheap.
Linda

Start by doing what is necessary: then do the possible; and suddenly you are doing the impossible  St Francis of Assisi

Now a retired substitute Teacher in NY, & SC

AA Liberal Studies TESC '08
BA in Natural Science/Mathematics TESC Sept '10
AAS Environmental safety and Security Technology TESC  Dec '12
two to three per week for pleasure usually mysteries, or historical novels

one to two per week mixed in business policies, medical updates, government issues and policies and occasionally tax code.
A.S. General Transfer Chattanooga State 2009
B.S.L.A. Thomas Edison State College June 7, 2013
33 CLEP
18 DSST
Maybe 6 or more books per month. My favorites are historical romances and mysteries. Modern romances are okay. I enjoy history and biography. I can't break down the percentage of books I read because I read anything. I was about to say, "if it's not moving, I'll read it," but I read buses and bumperstickers, too! I actually had a grade school teacher who told me I read too much. Hmmm. Maybe I have OCD and it's expressing itself in compulsiving reading? It would be really nice if it would express itself in compulsive cleaning! It appears that text books are NOT my "drug" of choice as I'm having a hard time getting through the textbooks for Intro to Business and Am. Gvt. I'll be cramming this weekend as the tests are June 4. :willynilly:
Academic: 2
otherwise: none
I hate reading!!! Hate is not even the right word to explain how much I don't like reading...
The only books in high school that I enjoyed was Hamlet and Macbeth.
- [SIZE="2"]STG[/SIZE]
[COLOR="Plum"][SIZE="1"]Intro to Sociology 51|Biology 54|Intro to Psychology 61
College Algebra A[/SIZE][/COLOR]
[COLOR="DarkOrange"]124 credits: B.A Social Sciences [B]DONE in 14 months; August 2011[/COLOR][/B]
"The pessimist sees difficulty in every opportunity. The optimist sees opportunity in every difficulty"- [COLOR="DarkOrchid"]Winston Churchill[/COLOR]

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Amazon ‘censored’ COVID-19 vaccine books after ‘feeling pressure’ from Biden White Ho Charles Fout 1 387 02-21-2024, 08:58 PM
Last Post: LevelUP
  HAPPY NEW YEAR 2024!!! LevelUP 2 432 01-01-2024, 09:10 AM
Last Post: Charles Fout
  Happy Holidays and New Year 2022! bjcheung77 7 983 12-25-2023, 09:03 AM
Last Post: Charles Fout
  Investing Simulators & Books SweetSecret 11 1,556 05-22-2023, 05:08 PM
Last Post: martamarti
  HAPPY NEW YEAR 2023!!! LevelUP 3 1,980 01-11-2023, 02:23 PM
Last Post: Alpha
  ACE 2022 Student of The Year ashkir 0 610 12-19-2022, 06:26 PM
Last Post: ashkir
  Got some overdue library books? Check! bjcheung77 6 1,249 12-04-2022, 08:17 PM
Last Post: Sparklette
  Living the Good Life on $24,000 a Year? Retire in Your 20’s or 30’s? LevelUP 34 5,829 03-26-2022, 12:28 PM
Last Post: ashkir
  72 year old man w/cancer berated by judge for unclean yard bjcheung77 3 753 01-14-2022, 07:39 AM
Last Post: bluebooger
  Happy New Year 2022 ShotoJuku 4 878 01-13-2022, 08:53 AM
Last Post: PaulHarmon