Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
How to Fix Our Math Education - NYTimes
I think something that gets in the way of math learning is it's acceptable for someone to say "I'm just not good at math" and that's the end of it. No one challenges it. Now change that sentence to "I'm just not good at reading" and what is your reaction? You're not going to be let off the hook.

As far as teaching practical applications to teach math, maybe the Wire had it right.
"He who loves practice without theory is like the sailor who boards ship without a rudder and a compass and never knows where he may cast" - Leonardo Da Vinci

"We are what we repeatedly do. Excellence then, is not an act, but a habit." - Aristotle

"The shortest distance between two points is usually under repair." - Anonymous

[SIZE="1"]CLEP/DSST/ACE credits (39), Total costs $1,383
Principles of Management (71), Principles of Supervision (446), Principles of Marketing (76), Management Information Systems (466), Human Resources Management (67), Intro to Computing (465), Environment & Humanity (69), Technical Writing (65), Intro to Business Law (75), Business Law II (80), Principles of Microeconomics (70), American Government (69), Straighterline Accounting II (90%)

[/SIZE]
IgnazSemmelweis Wrote:I think something that gets in the way of math learning is it's acceptable for someone to say "I'm just not good at math" and that's the end of it. No one challenges it. Now change that sentence to "I'm just not good at reading" and what is your reaction? You're not going to be let off the hook.

As far as teaching practical applications to teach math, maybe the Wire had it right.

A teacher of mine in high school had the highest grade average in the math department, teaching senior Trigonometry - one of the more dreaded courses, when students were the least likely to care (already had college apps out, the end was near, etc). He used laziness and the drive to "do nothing" as an incentive for excellence. Each Monday was a quiz on the material from the week before, and a quick run-down of the material that would be covered during the week. The homework assignment, due Friday, would be given.

For all students who scored 89% or less on the quiz covering the previous week's material, they had to attend the class all week and it was treated as tutoring sessions. Students who scored 90% or better on the quiz covering the previous week's material, he would write a hall pass the rest of the week to anywhere we wanted to go, whether it was study hall to work on a different class, or nurse's/counselor's/main offices (the seniors were volunteers in the various offices and could treat them as study halls to hang out, do filing, freebie work), so long as homework was turned in at some point on Friday. So everyone was seriously motivated to learn the material and work hard so we did not have to sit in a Trig class all week long. Using senior'itis to his advantage pushed everyone to read through the book at some point, do the homework, and ace the quizzes and tests. Over 15 years later, I was able to help my nephew a while back with his trig homework because the information was still with me and just needed a quick skim through his book.

I think it ultimately comes down to motivation. Find the right buttons to push or carrot to wave, and anyone will learn the material.
mrs.b thanks for that wonderful story. I love it.
This is the entire concept behind self-paced learning. The guy is basically realizing that students are best taught by themselves with their noses in the book. Classroom time is good for adding perspective and helping students get past sticking points.
BSBA CIS from TESC, BA Natural Science/Math from TESC
MBA Applied Computer Science from NCU
Enrolled at NCU in the PhD Applied Computer Science
I feel the same way about English teaching. The students who really progress are the ones grinding it out practicing at home, reading, rehearsing, and so forth. That way, they come to class prepared and make much better use of the time with effective practice, pointed questions, and overall faster improvement.
If I'm in front of the board teaching concepts all day with no input, I feel it's a huge waste of their time, and my energy.
Goal - BA Mathematics Major at TESC
Plan: International AP Calculus Teacher

COMPLETED: [B]123/B]
B&M (Philosophy, Psychology, Calculus I/II, Physics I/II, Discrete Structures I/II, Comp Sci, Astronomy, Ethics)*42 credits
Athabasca (Nutrition, Globalization)*6 credits
ALEKS (Stats, Precalculus)*6 credits
CLEPS (College Math 73, A&I Lit 73, French 63, Social Sciences and History 59, American Lit 57, English Lit 59)*42 credits
TECEP (English Composition I, II)*6 credits
TESC Courses (MAT 270 Discrete Math A, MAT 321 Linear Algebra B, MAT 331 Calculus III B+, MAT 332 Calculus IV B-,
MAT 361 College Geometry B+, MAT 401 Mathematical Logic B, LIB-495 Capstone B)*21 credits
DSST (MIS, Intro to Computing)*6 credits*(not using)

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Vent: 1-byte people in education berlinerd 3 411 11-17-2023, 05:29 PM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  Math textbook author made $26 million cardiacclep 10 1,070 02-23-2023, 05:09 AM
Last Post: rachel83az
  Immigration and education level Personherebb9 7 821 10-30-2022, 03:32 PM
  anybody ever been a math teacher ? bluebooger 2 581 08-30-2022, 01:52 AM
Last Post: bluebooger
  Spanish or Vanish... Duolingo coming to Math! ashkir 3 1,156 08-05-2022, 08:26 PM
Last Post: rachel83az
  A Conversation About Inflation, Life Abroad, and Education Kal Di 0 547 05-31-2022, 05:02 PM
Last Post: Kal Di
  Has anyone taken a math course at community college? picgirl27 2 715 04-03-2022, 09:54 AM
Last Post: picgirl27
  for those who have a math degree - is your job math related ? bluebooger 0 539 03-22-2022, 11:42 AM
Last Post: bluebooger
  Microsoft Education Alpha 1 648 11-05-2021, 08:51 PM
Last Post: MNomadic
  Carnegie Learning Acquires Zorbit’s Math bjcheung77 0 595 05-17-2021, 07:31 PM