Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Humanities: Is REA comparative to actual exam?
Good afternoon.

I've been using the REA guides to study and I noticed a lot of musical "theory" questions on the practice tests. For example:

A major diatonic scale has half-steps between...?
Which one of the following scales contains three flats in the key signature?
The C in measure 1 is a C sharp. Therefore, the C in measure 2 is a...?

Is this how the actual test is? I have no memory for this type of information and REA's explanations are making it even more confusing.

Also, on the 3 practice tests, I scored 520, 600, and 565. However, I didn't subtract 1/4 points for incorrect answers. Are the score conversion charts in the REA book comparable to the CLEP CBT's score conversion?

Finally, does the CLEP have any questions that just present a picture and ask, "Who painted this?"

Thanks for your help!
in reference to the REA study guide for the humanities test. I took the test 1 1/2 years ago using only the REA material. I passed with a 62 on the actual exam. I found I usually scored 4 or 5 points higher on the actual exams than I did on the practice test . I thought the humanities test was one of the hardest Clep's I took, perhaps because it was the first test I took. The test is so broad that it is hard to know exactly what to focus on. I wish I could say focus on this or that,but for me I tried to get an overall recognition of the materials. Based on the scores you are receiving on the practice exams I would say you are probably ready or very close. I was scoring in the 520 to 540 range on the practice exams when I sat for the test. I actually thought I had failed the exam, but hit the results button anyways figuring I had went this. I was almost jumping up and down with joy when I received the score. Good luck I know you will pass.

BGN
Master of the House Wrote:Good afternoon.

I've been using the REA guides to study and I noticed a lot of musical "theory" questions on the practice tests. For example:

A major diatonic scale has half-steps between...?
Which one of the following scales contains three flats in the key signature?
The C in measure 1 is a C sharp. Therefore, the C in measure 2 is a...?

Is this how the actual test is? I have no memory for this type of information and REA's explanations are making it even more confusing.

Also, on the 3 practice tests, I scored 520, 600, and 565. However, I didn't subtract 1/4 points for incorrect answers. Are the score conversion charts in the REA book comparable to the CLEP CBT's score conversion?

Finally, does the CLEP have any questions that just present a picture and ask, "Who painted this?"

Thanks for your help!

Hi Master of the House,

First of all, you don't need to panic about the music theory questions. At most there will only be one or two music theory questions on the real exam.

Instead, concentrate on studying those areas that you think you CAN do well on. Okay? It's simply not worth the added stress and worry involved in studying an area that, at most, will earn you only 1 or 2 points.

Secondly, it sounds like you have an out of date version of the REA book. Exams are now scored between 20 and 80, and you will NOT lose any points for incorrect answers. This works in your favor because it means you can guess without risk.

In fact, commit this advice to memory...

ANSWER EVERY SINGLE QUESTION! DO NOT MISS ANY! GUESS IF YOU DON'T KNOW THE ANSWER!
hilarious

Finally, there will be a few paintings to identify. For example, they might show you a photo of the painting, "Guernica" and say, "Who painted this?" (Answer: Picasso).

They will only do this with VERY famous paintings.

Hope that helps,
Snazzlefrag
My name is Rob

Total Credits: 142 (12 not used).
[SIZE=1]GPA: 4.0
[/SIZE]
Thanks guys. The music questions were freaking me out a little. The copyright of the REA books was 2002, so they may be a little old for scoring purposes.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  No ACE credits on ACTFL exam? Aikuroa 12 1,277 01-09-2024, 07:05 PM
Last Post: vetvso
  Why Majoring in the Humanities Can Be a Great Career Move allvia 1 340 10-08-2023, 12:58 PM
Last Post: Pats20
  BIO-208 TECEP exam yellowshehulk 2 958 04-30-2023, 05:46 PM
Last Post: WHOASIS1
  SPECIFIC EXAM FEEDBACK SECTION….. ShotoJuku 1 677 04-01-2023, 10:19 PM
Last Post: katsoulis
  Intel’s 12th Gen CPU can’t handle the Bar exam bluebooger 3 919 07-16-2022, 12:19 AM
Last Post: LevelUP
  Humanities Degrees and Stem Degrees Deserve Equal Respect LevelUP 12 2,098 03-10-2022, 07:54 PM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  DSST Exam online gams007 3 1,189 11-23-2021, 09:16 PM
Last Post: NoStudentNoCry
  The World's Hardest Exam Alpha 4 1,423 10-07-2021, 08:47 PM
Last Post: Alpha
  Passed the CISSP Exam jamshid666 5 1,876 09-27-2021, 01:58 PM
Last Post: jamshid666
  Passed the CHFI Exam jamshid666 9 1,548 07-17-2021, 06:40 PM
Last Post: jamshid666