Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Hurdles For Creating an ACE or NCCRS Course
I'm thinking about creating a one-credit course for legacy computer science stuff. I'm wondering what the biggest road blocks are. I know NCCRS is cheaper, but I'm just wondering if providing one course makes no sense because of the obstacles. I can't find this information online anywhere.
OnlineDegree
Intro to Marketing and Strategy ($9) | Intro to Microeconomics ($9)

Study
Intro to Managerial Accounting ($70) | Advanced Accounting ($70) | Managerial Accounting ($80) | Intermediate Accounting 2 ($90) | Intermediate Accounting I ($90) | Cybersecurity Policies & Management ($80) | Management Information Systems ($80) | Data Structures & Algorithms ($80) | Intro to Programming ($70) | Computer Architecture ($70) | Calculus ($80) Database Management ($80)
Systems Analysis & Design ($70) | Discrete Math ($80) | Intro to Operation Systems ($80)

Saylor.org
Intro to Computer Science I ($25)
[-] The following 1 user Likes udi's post:
  • karenmandatos
I think it's thousands of dollars to go through the process.

You might be better off trying to sell your course to a provider like SL, Study.com, Coopersmith, Sophia, etc.
TESU BSBA/HR 2018 - WVNCC BOG AAS 2017 - GGU Cert in Mgmt 2000
EXAMS: TECEP Tech Wrtg, Comp II, LA Math, PR, Computers  DSST Computers, Pers Fin  CLEP Mgmt, Mktg
COURSES: TESU Capstone  Study.com Pers Fin, Microecon, Stats  Ed4Credit Acct 2  PF Fin Mgmt  ALEKS Int & Coll Alg  Sophia Proj Mgmt The Institutes - Ins Ethics  Kaplan PLA
[-] The following 1 user Likes dfrecore's post:
  • karenmandatos
(08-02-2019, 03:37 PM)dfrecore Wrote: I think it's thousands of dollars to go through the process.

You might be better off trying to sell your course to a provider like SL, Study.com, Coopersmith, Sophia, etc.

Yeah, I was thinking about that, too. I may just end up putting it on Udemy.
OnlineDegree

Study
Intro to Managerial Accounting ($70) | Advanced Accounting ($70) | Managerial Accounting ($80) | Intermediate Accounting 2 ($90) | Intermediate Accounting I ($90) | Cybersecurity Policies & Management ($80) | Management Information Systems ($80) | Data Structures & Algorithms ($80) | Intro to Programming ($70) | Computer Architecture ($70) | Calculus ($80) Database Management ($80)
Systems Analysis & Design ($70) | Discrete Math ($80) | Intro to Operation Systems ($80)

Saylor.org
  • karenmandatos
(08-02-2019, 03:37 PM)dfrecore Wrote: I think it's thousands of dollars to go through the process.

No lie. Especially if you require a multi-day evaluation, you can easily get into 10s of thousands of dollars.

http://www.nationalccrs.org/common/ccrs/...n-fees.pdf

That's a huge barrier to entry. Your instructors or content creator is also going to need an advanced degree in the field.

I don't know ACE's fees, but if NCCRS is the cheaper version, yikes. A one credit niche course probably isn't even going to get your investment back.
Northwestern California University School of Law
JD Law, 2027 (in progress, currently 2L)

Georgia Tech
MS Cybersecurity (Policy), 2021

Thomas Edison State University
BA Computer Science, 2023
BA Psychology, 2016
AS Business Administration, 2023
Certificate in Operations Management, 2023
Certificate in Computer Information Systems, 2023

Western Governors University
BS IT Security, 2018

Chaffey College
AA Sociology, 2015

Accumulated Credit: Undergrad: 258.50 | Graduate: 32

View all of my credit on my Omni Transcript!
Visit the DegreeForum Community Wiki!
[-] The following 1 user Likes jsd's post:
  • karenmandatos
Gosh, I was thinking $3,000 or so. Maybe I could apply for a government grant or something.
OnlineDegree

Study

Saylor.org
  • karenmandatos
It depends on a lot of factors, but when I looked into the option at one point, ACE came back cheaper for what I was thinking. It does depend on how many courses and subject areas you want to provide.

https://www.acenet.edu/news-room/Pages/F...views.aspx
[-] The following 2 users Like ztkerls's post:
  • karenmandatos, udi
(08-03-2019, 05:32 PM)ztkerls Wrote: It depends on a lot of factors, but when I looked into the option at one point, ACE came back cheaper for what I was thinking. It does depend on how many courses and subject areas you want to provide.

https://www.acenet.edu/news-room/Pages/F...views.aspx

For 1 course, it looks like the minimum cost for ACE is $13k, for NCCRS it's $8,600.
EXAMS: TECEP Tech Wrtg, Comp II, LA Math, PR, Computers  DSST Computers, Pers Fin  CLEP Mgmt, Mktg
COURSES: TESU Capstone  Study.com Pers Fin, Microecon, Stats  Ed4Credit Acct 2  PF Fin Mgmt  ALEKS Int & Coll Alg  Sophia Proj Mgmt The Institutes - Ins Ethics  Kaplan PLA
  • karenmandatos
I think I read NCCRS requires a minimum of three evaluators, so that would be slightly higher there (I'm assuming you're only accounting for one). I couldn't see how many ACE requires, and they don't list their evaluator fees. Honestly, I'm surprised (but happy!) we see such cheap alt credit being offered to us with this kind of overhead.
Northwestern California University School of Law
JD Law, 2027 (in progress, currently 2L)

Georgia Tech
MS Cybersecurity (Policy), 2021

Thomas Edison State University
BA Computer Science, 2023
BA Psychology, 2016
AS Business Administration, 2023
Certificate in Operations Management, 2023
Certificate in Computer Information Systems, 2023

Western Governors University
BS IT Security, 2018

Chaffey College
AA Sociology, 2015

Accumulated Credit: Undergrad: 258.50 | Graduate: 32

View all of my credit on my Omni Transcript!
Visit the DegreeForum Community Wiki!
[-] The following 1 user Likes jsd's post:
  • karenmandatos
(08-06-2019, 10:28 AM)jsd Wrote: I think I read NCCRS requires a minimum of three evaluators, so that would be slightly higher there (I'm assuming you're only accounting for one). I couldn't see how many ACE requires, and they don't list their evaluator fees. Honestly, I'm surprised (but happy!) we see such cheap alt credit being offered to us with this kind of overhead.

I agree!

As shown on the ACE link, you also get billed for plane tickets, hotels, and the travel administration fee.

[-] The following 1 user Likes Ideas's post:
  • karenmandatos
(08-06-2019, 10:28 AM)jsd Wrote: I think I read NCCRS requires a minimum of three evaluators, so that would be slightly higher there (I'm assuming you're only accounting for one). I couldn't see how many ACE requires, and they don't list their evaluator fees. Honestly, I'm surprised (but happy!) we see such cheap alt credit being offered to us with this kind of overhead.

I included the 3 evaluators.
  • karenmandatos