Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
I Just wrote and file for my first patent
Hello,

I just wrote and file for the first of many patents I intend on pursuing and would like to know if anyone have experience with manufacturing. The Patent I file for pertain to invention/innovation in bicycle luggage others known as panniers. Now I am onto my manufacturer phase and would like to for my product to be made right here in the United States of America. I also intend on having a crowd funding campaign in the near future -TBA.

If you have anyone have expertise with manufacturing please HELP :-) .
My Grandfather has 8 patents to his name and I am helping him currently working on #9, as well as starting a company to hold it and sell the item with.

His process, is to look up the shops you have in mind.
Take a look at the quality of their work.
Do this for several companies, that way you have options for cost, quality, location, etc...

When you do approach them bring with you a non-disclosure agreement AND a hold harmless agreement.

Non-disclosure will prevent them from running their mouth to others
Hold harmless Agreement will put a layer of safety on them. Once The product is out of their door, you take all responsibility for any defects etc... (Do this at least for the prototype, initial build phase)

You can obtain both of these documents from a lawyer. Your patient lawyer may have them. Otherwise, the lawyer you use to start up a company may have them as well.

Don't forget insurance.

Not sure on the specifics of your product (don't tell me a damn thing).
If you plan to use metal, do a little homework on the metals you want to use.
Also try to learn about on how to spot a quality weld. This will help you determine the quality of the work for what ever shop you plan to use.

Should you go with plastic, do your homework on the types of plastics and the ways that they can be formed. You'd be surprised at how many combinations of plastic and forming currently exist.
I have zero experience, but I wanted to send you congratulations! That's awesome!

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Practice Patent Law Without Being a Lawyer sanantone 0 574 01-31-2014, 11:46 PM
Last Post: sanantone