Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
I failed CLEP , I need help + Advice.
Sad 
Hello! A few days ago I failed my CLEP Exams and I'm distraught!!! I studied but I got these two grades :

Human Development and Psychology : 45 ( Studied in 2 weeks)
 College Composition : 49 ( Studied for 6 weeks)

I was so close but I feel disappointed that I studied for these tests and about 50% of what I studied was on the test. I mainly used Modern states and The 2018 College CLEP Book. I was wondering did I do something wrong within studying such as the resources I used? Has anyone ever used these or something better? Also may you offer advice as well with things such as : What resources should I use , How long should I study and etc.

* I wanted to study but my parents are telling me to take a break for a while then come  back to this after a month or so?

Also I am planning on taking these  tests , can anyone offer their stories :

- CLEP Composition
- CLEP Human Development
- CLEP Sociology
- CLEP Psychology
- CLEP Humanities
Maybe 1 more week for each would have been enough. How many hours per week did you study?

Have you read about test-taking strategies? Maybe they would help you get a few more points.

(12-20-2017, 11:24 PM)Ideas Wrote: Maybe 1 more week for each would have been enough. How many hours per week did you study?

Have you read about test-taking strategies? Maybe they would help you get a few more points.

I usually studied 2-3 hours for each exam
I have a book about test taking strategies , but I haven't made time to read it.
I would wait for the holidays is over, start "freshened up" and study at least a week or two for each CLEP since you're so close to passing. There are other resources available to the Modern States and College CLEP book, I advise getting at least an extra book or borrow it at the library to skim through (especially if it has practice exams).
In Progress: Walden MBA | TESU BA Biology & Computer Science
Graduate Certificate: Global Management & Entrepreneurship, ASU (Freebie)

Completed: TESU ASNSM Biology, BSBA (ACBSP Accredited 2017)
Universidad Isabel I: ENEB MBA, Big Data & BI, Digital Marketing & E-Commerce
Certs: 6Sigma/Lean/Scrum, ITIL | Cisco/CompTIA/MTA | Coursera/Edx/Udacity

The Basic Approach | Plans | DegreeForum Community Supported Wiki
~Note~ Read/Review forum posts & Wiki Links to Sample Degree Plans
Degree Planning Advice | New To DegreeForum? How This Area Works

[Image: e7P9EJ4.jpeg]
You have to wait 3 months for the retake, so at least for those 2 exams, you have plenty of time to study again.

Modern States is a good way to study. InstantCert is another (not free) way to do it. REA normally has good books to study as well.
TESU BSBA/HR 2018 - WVNCC BOG AAS 2017 - GGU Cert in Mgmt 2000
EXAMS: TECEP Tech Wrtg, Comp II, LA Math, PR, Computers  DSST Computers, Pers Fin  CLEP Mgmt, Mktg
COURSES: TESU Capstone  Study.com Pers Fin, Microecon, Stats  Ed4Credit Acct 2  PF Fin Mgmt  ALEKS Int & Coll Alg  Sophia Proj Mgmt The Institutes - Ins Ethics  Kaplan PLA
2-3 hours per exam???

Even 2-3 hours a week (for 2-6 weeks!?) per exam exam is woefully inadequate, unless you have a solid background in the subject.
Northwestern California University School of Law
JD Law, 2027 (in progress, currently 2L)

Georgia Tech
MS Cybersecurity (Policy), 2021

Thomas Edison State University
BA Computer Science, 2023
BA Psychology, 2016
AS Business Administration, 2023
Certificate in Operations Management, 2023
Certificate in Computer Information Systems, 2023

Western Governors University
BS IT Security, 2018

Chaffey College
AA Sociology, 2015

Accumulated Credit: Undergrad: 258.50 | Graduate: 32

View all of my credit on my Omni Transcript!
Visit the DegreeForum Community Wiki!
[-] The following 1 user Likes jsd's post:
  • greencouch
My advice is to use practice tests as a way of gauging your readiness - at a very minimum on the first several CLEP exams you try.

Sadly, this forum has gotten away from CLEP testing and replaced it with ACE-evaluated courses for the most part, so you won't see CLEP advice like you used to.

In my opinion, having taken both the exams you took, I would say that you were underprepared. Human Growth and Development was my highest score - but based on your use of the word "parents" in your post, that you're much younger than I was when I took it. For me, I had a lot of background in the subject, especially the pregnancy stages and child development- so it wasn't all new for me. I used an old college textbook that was being thrown out, and just read it cover to cover. That was my main prep, but again, I had some real world experience with the material.

Your composition exam was close, on a different day it could have gone the other way and you may have passed by a point.

The hardest thing for me when I failed was the kick in the teeth- it felt like CRAP. I really took it wrong. I took it personally, I felt like a failure, I felt like I might not be able to finish my degree because I wasn't smart enough lol- all that sounds so pitiful when I type it out today (10 years after the fact) but I really did feel that way and had to psych myself up to keep pushing forward.

It is my advice to choose a subject you are already strong in- and that you have interest in. You need something in the win column if you're going to keep your spirits up. Visit the specific exam feedback section, get the REA guide for the subject (also contains 2-3 practice tests), and invest in the Peterson's practice tests. (3 practice tests). Space them out, don't burn them all at once, and don't even use them as a diagnostic- spend time in the subject. Practice tests are valuable and can only be used once or they are no longer reliable. Once you've clocked no less than 30 hours or so in the material, then you can burn one. Review and study everything you've missed- take notes- you need to know the material, but also how the questions work. If it's in a 101 class, expect it to be on the test!!!

You don't have to know the nuances, but you have to know the foundation, so work on the foundation for 80% of your study, and know it well. The last 20% can be spent on the trivial pursuit garbage. Over prepare. Over study. Go in confident. Once you pass your first exam, you'll know what it takes, and you'll be better the next go round.

Chin up - you can do it. Wink

EDIT to add: of the list you posted, humanities would be my last choice- it's a big exam. Psych or Sociology are more manageable. But, if this is your first time studying either, give yourself a lot more time. Modern States prep, is like Cliffs Notes, quick prep and memorizing it might work for some, but not for others (like me). Sometimes, you just gotta do more.
(12-21-2017, 03:15 AM)jsd Wrote: 2-3 hours per exam???

Even 2-3 hours a week (for 2-6 weeks!?) per exam exam is woefully inadequate, unless you have a solid background in the subject.

Good eye! +1, I was reading that again, and at first, I thought it meant 2-6 weeks, and then 2-3 hours each day for those weeks.
But reading that now, it did sound like what you mention here. If that's the case, it's totally not enough studying. Even if OP has a solid background in the subject, I would still take some time to review at least.
In Progress: Walden MBA | TESU BA Biology & Computer Science
Graduate Certificate: Global Management & Entrepreneurship, ASU (Freebie)

Completed: TESU ASNSM Biology, BSBA (ACBSP Accredited 2017)
Universidad Isabel I: ENEB MBA, Big Data & BI, Digital Marketing & E-Commerce
Certs: 6Sigma/Lean/Scrum, ITIL | Cisco/CompTIA/MTA | Coursera/Edx/Udacity

The Basic Approach | Plans | DegreeForum Community Supported Wiki
~Note~ Read/Review forum posts & Wiki Links to Sample Degree Plans
Degree Planning Advice | New To DegreeForum? How This Area Works

[Image: e7P9EJ4.jpeg]
(12-21-2017, 09:32 AM)cookderosa Wrote: ...of the list you posted, humanities would be my last choice- it's a big exam. Psych or Sociology are more manageable.  

I just want to confirm this. Steer clear of the humanities exam unless it's one you absolutely have to take. I've taken 14 of these suckers and Humanities was the most difficult, by far.  It's a mile wide and a mile deep.

Regarding passing tips, the greatest advice I can give is to never trust a single source of information. Collect practice exams and study content from multiple resources. No single resource will cover everything you need. 

I definitely agree with others who stated that practice exams are your best indicator.  Check to see if your school or library will give you access to the PrepStep exams through Learning Express Hub.  They have two practice exams for each CLEP subject, and I've found them to be on-the-money.

I'm not the biggest fan of Instantcert's flash cards, but the subscription gives you access to the 'exam feedback' forum, and the resources in there are more than worth the cost of subscribing.  That forum has been gold for me.

Don't get down about your first two exams. It's all part of the learning process and discovering more about how your brain works best. Once you find your best study routine, you'll be off to the races. I've found that I typically need a minimum of 30 hours of study time before I feel confident enough to test.
~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~
Pursuing BA in Communications at SNHU (Started July 2017)
☆CLEP☆ A&I Literature 68 | College Composition w Essay 73 | American Government 68 | US History I 72 | Social Science & History 61 | Information Systems 76 | Principles of Marketing 69 | Principles of Management 67 | Psychology 61 | Sociology 61 | Humanities 57 | Educational Psychology 70 | Biology 60 | Natural Science 72 | ☆DSST☆ Environmental Science 457 | Human Cultural Geography 466 | Principles of Supervision 435 | Introduction to Business 457 | Principles of Public Speaking 450/PASS
(12-20-2017, 11:31 PM)2L8 Wrote:
(12-20-2017, 11:24 PM)Ideas Wrote: Maybe 1 more week for each would have been enough. How many hours per week did you study?

I usually studied 2-3 hours for each exam
I have a book about test taking strategies , but I haven't made time to read it.

Did you study 2-3 hours total?  2-3 hours per week?  2-3 hours per day?  Hard to tell what you're saying here.
TESU BSBA/HR 2018 - WVNCC BOG AAS 2017 - GGU Cert in Mgmt 2000
EXAMS: TECEP Tech Wrtg, Comp II, LA Math, PR, Computers  DSST Computers, Pers Fin  CLEP Mgmt, Mktg
COURSES: TESU Capstone  Study.com Pers Fin, Microecon, Stats  Ed4Credit Acct 2  PF Fin Mgmt  ALEKS Int & Coll Alg  Sophia Proj Mgmt The Institutes - Ins Ethics  Kaplan PLA

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Metropolia Open UAS Failed Enrollment? MissRN 9 943 02-05-2024, 05:04 PM
Last Post: Tomas
  Advice Needed for School & Degree Plan diablo 8 679 01-04-2024, 04:58 PM
Last Post: allvia
  Burnout advice anewmanx 13 2,635 11-18-2023, 08:46 PM
Last Post: anewmanx
  UC Berkeley failed to disclose $240 million in funds from China elcastor21 3 482 09-07-2023, 09:59 AM
Last Post: elcastor21
  AP, CLEP, IB, vs others - Comparison/Example bjcheung77 0 507 08-11-2023, 12:12 AM
Last Post: bjcheung77
Question Seeking advice - should I switch degrees? impasta 15 3,229 06-09-2023, 02:00 PM
Last Post: allvia
  Finlandia University - Plan didn't work...failed to save itself! bjcheung77 6 863 05-19-2023, 10:54 AM
Last Post: cardiacclep
  Nutrition & Fitness - degree advice lumina 10 1,048 01-23-2023, 02:08 PM
Last Post: lumina
  AP, CLEP, etc - Credit Banking on Credly bjcheung77 2 1,845 09-02-2022, 12:16 PM
Last Post: vintage_jacket
  combine CLEP & ACTFL? defmo 5 852 08-05-2022, 08:58 PM
Last Post: dfrecore