Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
I failed CLEP , I need help + Advice.
Love the advice from Cooderosa on practice exams - this has been the major source for all exams in both my undergraduate and master program. As for the CLEP exams, Instantcert is definitely an option and gives you plenty of practice exam options and my favorite is Free Clep Prep. With the amount of guidance provided on Free Clep Prep (also provides DSST support), it's pretty tough to envision someone failing after maxing out the guidance.

Good luck!
PhD, Leadership, University of the Cumberlands - What Have I Done!!?!!
MBA, Healthcare Management, Western Governors University - in progress
MS, Management and Leadership, Western Governors University - 2017
BS, Business Administration, Thomas Edison State University - 2016

RANSOMSOUL: Exchange Good For Great

The Ultimate Route to Earning a Bachelor's Degree in Business: A StraighterLine Success Story
(12-21-2017, 03:41 PM)dfrecore Wrote:
(12-20-2017, 11:31 PM)2L8 Wrote:
(12-20-2017, 11:24 PM)Ideas Wrote: Maybe 1 more week for each would have been enough. How many hours per week did you study?

Have you read about test-taking strategies? Maybe they would help you get a few more points.

I usually studied 2-3 hours for each exam
I have a book about test taking strategies , but I haven't made time to read it.

Did you study 2-3 hours total?  2-3 hours per week?  2-3 hours per day?  Hard to tell what you're saying here.

2-3 hours a day

Hello , after taking a break from my studies I realized some things about the whole fiasco I need to learn how to be efficient yet also be easy on myself. I want to do much better than I did in HS with everything , college is a bit scary. If you don't mind me asking how many hours would you put into your studying?

(12-21-2017, 09:32 AM)cookderosa Wrote: My advice is to use practice tests as a way of gauging your readiness - at a very minimum on the first several CLEP exams you try.

Sadly, this forum has gotten away from CLEP testing and replaced it with ACE-evaluated courses for the most part, so you won't see CLEP advice like you used to.  

In my opinion, having taken both the exams you took, I would say that you were underprepared.  Human Growth and Development was my highest score - but based on your use of the word "parents" in your post, that you're much younger than I was when I took it.  For me, I had a lot of background in the subject, especially the pregnancy stages and child development- so it wasn't all new for me.  I used an old college textbook that was being thrown out, and just read it cover to cover.  That was my main prep, but again, I had some real world experience with the material.

Your composition exam was close, on a different day it could have gone the other way and you may have passed by a point.  

The hardest thing for me when I failed was the kick in the teeth- it felt like CRAP.  I really took it wrong.  I took it personally, I felt like a failure, I felt like I might not be able to finish my degree because I wasn't smart enough lol- all that sounds so pitiful when I type it out today (10 years after the fact) but I really did feel that way and had to psych myself up to keep pushing forward.  

It is my advice to choose a subject you are already strong in- and that you have interest in.  You need something in the win column if you're going to keep your spirits up.  Visit the specific exam feedback section, get the REA guide for the subject (also contains 2-3 practice tests), and invest in the Peterson's practice tests.  (3 practice tests).  Space them out, don't burn them all at once, and don't even use them as a diagnostic- spend time in the subject.  Practice tests are valuable and can only be used once or they are no longer reliable.  Once you've clocked no less than 30 hours or so in the material, then you can burn one.  Review and study everything you've missed- take notes- you need to know the material, but also how the questions work.  If it's in a 101 class, expect it to be on the test!!!  

You don't have to know the nuances, but you have to know the foundation, so work on the foundation for 80% of your study, and know it well.  The last 20% can be spent on the trivial pursuit garbage.  Over prepare.  Over study.  Go in confident.  Once you pass your first exam, you'll know what it takes, and you'll be better the next go round.  

Chin up - you can do it. Wink

EDIT to add:  of the list you posted, humanities would be my last choice- it's a big exam. Psych or Sociology are more manageable.  But, if this is your first time studying either, give yourself a lot more time.  Modern States prep, is like Cliffs Notes, quick prep and memorizing it might work for some, but not for others (like me).  Sometimes, you just gotta do more.
 Thank you Big Grin Heart . I am definitely thinking about that humanities thing.  I'll possibly be doing something like American Literature if I don't chicken out.
[-] The following 1 user Likes 2L8's post:
  • cookderosa

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Metropolia Open UAS Failed Enrollment? MissRN 9 941 02-05-2024, 05:04 PM
Last Post: Tomas
  Advice Needed for School & Degree Plan diablo 8 666 01-04-2024, 04:58 PM
Last Post: allvia
  Burnout advice anewmanx 13 2,630 11-18-2023, 08:46 PM
Last Post: anewmanx
  UC Berkeley failed to disclose $240 million in funds from China elcastor21 3 477 09-07-2023, 09:59 AM
Last Post: elcastor21
  AP, CLEP, IB, vs others - Comparison/Example bjcheung77 0 505 08-11-2023, 12:12 AM
Last Post: bjcheung77
Question Seeking advice - should I switch degrees? impasta 15 3,217 06-09-2023, 02:00 PM
Last Post: allvia
  Finlandia University - Plan didn't work...failed to save itself! bjcheung77 6 857 05-19-2023, 10:54 AM
Last Post: cardiacclep
  Nutrition & Fitness - degree advice lumina 10 1,045 01-23-2023, 02:08 PM
Last Post: lumina
  AP, CLEP, etc - Credit Banking on Credly bjcheung77 2 1,841 09-02-2022, 12:16 PM
Last Post: vintage_jacket
  combine CLEP & ACTFL? defmo 5 846 08-05-2022, 08:58 PM
Last Post: dfrecore