Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
I have a present for you.....a college that awards letter grades for CLEP!
That's right, a post on my FB page today from a parent shared that her junior college awards letter grades for CLEP. Surely this can't be true, but it is! To my knowledge, this is the only school that does this.... but this is a Texas junior college, so there must be others?! If you know of another, let's post it here and make a collection.

https://www.wcjc.edu/Admissions/testing/CLEP.aspx
Wharton County Junior College 911 Boling Highway Wharton, Texas 77488 Tel: (979) 532-4560

Grades of A, B, or C are granted with credit in the courses below.
Your CLEP grade will determine the letter grade that will show on your transcript. A ( 70-79), B (60-69), C (50-59)
For the Spanish exam an "A" gives the student credit for 4 courses, a "B" gives credit for 3 courses, and a "C" gives credit for 2 courses.

WCJC Courses and Credit in Semester Hours

Chemisty CHEM 1411 and 1412 (8 hours)
English Composition ENGL 1301 (3 hours)
History of the United States I HIST 1301 (3 hours)
History of the United States II HIST 1302 (3 hours)
Western Civilization I HIST 2311 (3 hours)
Western Civilization II HIST 2312 (3 hours)
Pre-calculus MATH 2312 (3 hours)
College Algebra MATH 1314 (3 hours)
Calculus I See College Catalog for information.
Principles of Microeconomics ECON 2302 (3 hours)
Introduction to Psychology PSYC 2301 (3 hours)
Human Growth and Development PSYC 2314 (3 hours)
Spanish SPAN 1311, 1312, 2311, or 2312 (14 hours)
Introductory Sociology SOCI 1301 (3 hours)
See also Panola College

Credit by Exam
Northwestern California University School of Law
JD Law, 2027 (in progress, currently 2L)

Georgia Tech
MS Cybersecurity (Policy), 2021

Thomas Edison State University
BA Computer Science, 2023
BA Psychology, 2016
AS Business Administration, 2023
Certificate in Operations Management, 2023
Certificate in Computer Information Systems, 2023

Western Governors University
BS IT Security, 2018

Chaffey College
AA Sociology, 2015

Accumulated Credit: Undergrad: 258.50 | Graduate: 32

View all of my credit on my Omni Transcript!
Visit the DegreeForum Community Wiki!
Kansas State University still awards letter grades on the transcript; they just won't factor into the K-State GPA. You can search their policies on various tests at the link below. They made this change because of the Higher Learning Commission, so don't expect many schools accredited by them to award grades for CBEs.

https://go.k-state.edu/#/cpl

Here are some other schools that award grades for some CLEPs.

CLEP : Testing, Research Support & Evaluation Center : Texas State University
https://www.geneva.edu/academics/registr...y_9-11.pdf
Graduate of Not VUL or ENEB
MS, MSS and Graduate Cert
AAS, AS, BA, and BS
CLEP
Intro Psych 70, US His I 64, Intro Soc 63, Intro Edu Psych 70, A&I Lit 64, Bio 68, Prin Man 69, Prin Mar 68
DSST
Life Dev Psych 62, Fund Coun 68, Intro Comp 469, Intro Astr 56, Env & Hum 70, HTYH 456, MIS 451, Prin Sup 453, HRM 62, Bus Eth 458
ALEKS
Int Alg, Coll Alg
TEEX
4 credits
TECEP
Fed Inc Tax, Sci of Nutr, Micro, Strat Man, Med Term, Pub Relations
CSU
Sys Analysis & Design, Programming, Cyber
SL
Intro to Comm, Microbio, Acc I
Uexcel
A&P
Davar
Macro, Intro to Fin, Man Acc
Right. Also covered here http://www.degreeforum.net/general-educa...post146122

Also notice "No credit by examination is applicable until the student has earned an equivalent number of hours at Wharton County Junior College." https://www.wcjc.edu/Admissions/testing/CLEP.aspx If you want 3 hours of CLEP credit, you're going to have first paid for 3 hours of tuition at WCJC's regular tuition rates.

Let's examine the cost of 3 hours of tuition at WCJC. See Tuition and Fees.
In district $279, out of district but a Texas resident $432, out of state $588. For example, you pay for and successfully complete a 3 hour course. Then you can get a letter grade for 3 hours of CLEP.

I used to go to WCJC on a daily basis. Nice little school to attend in person.

Here is the conversion chart Kansas State uses to convert CLEP scores to letter grades. https://www.k-state.edu/admissions/docs/...y_Exam.pdf
63 CLEP Sociology
75 CLEP U.S. History II
63 CLEP College Algebra
70 CLEP Analyzing and Interpreting Literature
68 DSST Technical Writing
72 CLEP U.S. History I
77 CLEP College Mathematics
470 DSST Statistics
53 CLEP College Composition
73 CLEP Biology
54 CLEP Chemistry
77 CLEP Information Systems and Computer Applications
Does anyone have something that will show letter grades for DSST exams? I know at some time in the past I saw scores considered "B" grades for DSST exams. Now I can't find it. Also I'm not sure if that was something a specific college created or if it came from an outside party. Anyone able to help me out?
So how can one "use" this to help pursue their goals, other than attending and graduating from that college?
We are all on the same side here, trying to better our lives....so let's get along and help each other out. 

Learn a trade. Gain technical skills. Make money, then use this money to get a degree...if you have the desire. 

wombat777 Wrote:Does anyone have something that will show letter grades for DSST exams? I know at some time in the past I saw scores considered "B" grades for DSST exams. Now I can't find it. Also I'm not sure if that was something a specific college created or if it came from an outside party. Anyone able to help me out?

There used to be scaled graded scores for the DSST when it was under a different scoring system. Once they switched to the new system, the grades went away.
TESU BSBA/HR 2018 - WVNCC BOG AAS 2017 - GGU Cert in Mgmt 2000
EXAMS: TECEP Tech Wrtg, Comp II, LA Math, PR, Computers  DSST Computers, Pers Fin  CLEP Mgmt, Mktg
COURSES: TESU Capstone  Study.com Pers Fin, Microecon, Stats  Ed4Credit Acct 2  PF Fin Mgmt  ALEKS Int & Coll Alg  Sophia Proj Mgmt The Institutes - Ins Ethics  Kaplan PLA
icampy Wrote:So how can one "use" this to help pursue their goals, other than attending and graduating from that college?

I suppose if you needed a GPA, it could help - but only if you did well. If you were just going for a pass, then getting a C wouldn't be a great thing. The point of the test is really to get through quickly rather than get a high score, so most people probably don't want this option.
TESU BSBA/HR 2018 - WVNCC BOG AAS 2017 - GGU Cert in Mgmt 2000
EXAMS: TECEP Tech Wrtg, Comp II, LA Math, PR, Computers  DSST Computers, Pers Fin  CLEP Mgmt, Mktg
COURSES: TESU Capstone  Study.com Pers Fin, Microecon, Stats  Ed4Credit Acct 2  PF Fin Mgmt  ALEKS Int & Coll Alg  Sophia Proj Mgmt The Institutes - Ins Ethics  Kaplan PLA
icampy Wrote:So how can one "use" this to help pursue their goals, other than attending and graduating from that college?

I think it is pretty much useless. I know many people who have gone to WCJC. It's questionable even for them. How many are going to make a high enough CLEP score to get an A? Those who barely pass a CLEP are penalized with a C.
63 CLEP Sociology
75 CLEP U.S. History II
63 CLEP College Algebra
70 CLEP Analyzing and Interpreting Literature
68 DSST Technical Writing
72 CLEP U.S. History I
77 CLEP College Mathematics
470 DSST Statistics
53 CLEP College Composition
73 CLEP Biology
54 CLEP Chemistry
77 CLEP Information Systems and Computer Applications
For *ME* I'd avoid graded CLEP/DSST like the plague because I'm NOT a strong test taker. I took a lot of exams (as most of us here have) and using the CLEP scale, my scores were in the 50's for the most part. Big whoop right? Those would be a "C" if they were turned into letter grades. For me, it made more sense to take 30 credits via courses and work my buns off to earn A's in those (which I did). There are, however, a lot of reasons people want/like/need graded credits. It's not a huge deal here where people are used to graduating without GPAs, but things like "good driver discounts" through insurance companies, dual enrolled students who are not homeschooled, scholarship applications, prerequisites that require graded credits, avoiding schools that turn all "cr" grades into "C" automatically, and so on.

Clearly not everyone needs or cares, but this thread is for those who do.:p

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Is online college easier now? Vle045 21 1,167 02-26-2024, 10:47 PM
Last Post: Vle045
  People Who Regret Their College Majors Are Sharing What Their Major Was LevelUP 22 1,518 02-26-2024, 07:34 PM
Last Post: jsd
  Diné College: $55 Credit Hour, $660 Full Time (12+ credits) Ares 19 1,912 02-23-2024, 11:14 AM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  Verified College Credit Transfers TINASAM 0 226 02-19-2024, 04:16 PM
Last Post: TINASAM
  Just 16% of community college students transfer and earn a bachelor’s degree Ares 6 490 02-14-2024, 01:13 PM
Last Post: davewill
  NH Colby-Sawyer College cut their tuition 62% in 2023 ($46,000 to $17,500) Ares 2 376 02-14-2024, 07:08 AM
Last Post: Ares
  Tohono O’odham Community College: $34.25 Credit Hour! Ares 3 715 02-07-2024, 12:24 PM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  College enrollment rises after pandemic lull LevelUP 0 202 01-25-2024, 04:44 PM
Last Post: LevelUP
  101yr Old Woman Returned To School And Will Graduate College With Her Granddaughter LevelUP 0 240 01-25-2024, 04:36 PM
Last Post: LevelUP
  5 institutions paying fine plus how much college costs in every state bjcheung77 1 208 01-25-2024, 01:55 PM
Last Post: inor