Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
I'm really lost, I really need some advice - Finishing my degree
Hey everyone,

I've got myself in a strange situation here. I've got about 64 credit hours completed, and I'm trying to test out of the rest of my degree. Realistically, this will have to be through one of the "big 3". I've got most of my pre-reqs knocked out, but now I'm scrambling to complete the rest of my degree.

Realistically, I've got about 3 months to finish this degree. My girlfriend is moving back to China (school visa is expiring), and having lived/worked in China before I know I don't want to go back to work there as an English teacher/translator. I'd like to go back with her and I've got a job lined up assuming I can complete this degree.

I'm not sure how possible this is, any feedback would be wonderful. Right now, I can dedicate 24/7 towards this education (CLEP, Dantes, etc). My only concern is whether or not it's possible to even get any of these higher level classes via CLEP/Dantes/Etc. Any feedback would be wonderful. I'm pretty much losing hair over this situation. I'm sorry if this has been asked 1000x, please forgive me.

Kas
Fastest degree IMO is the BSBA general management from TESC. Can be completed entirely through CLEP/DSST/Straighterline/TECEP. If you really go all out, you can get it done, but it'll be quite an epic amount of work.
Goal - BA Mathematics Major at TESC
Plan: International AP Calculus Teacher

COMPLETED: [B]123/B]
B&M (Philosophy, Psychology, Calculus I/II, Physics I/II, Discrete Structures I/II, Comp Sci, Astronomy, Ethics)*42 credits
Athabasca (Nutrition, Globalization)*6 credits
ALEKS (Stats, Precalculus)*6 credits
CLEPS (College Math 73, A&I Lit 73, French 63, Social Sciences and History 59, American Lit 57, English Lit 59)*42 credits
TECEP (English Composition I, II)*6 credits
TESC Courses (MAT 270 Discrete Math A, MAT 321 Linear Algebra B, MAT 331 Calculus III B+, MAT 332 Calculus IV B-,
MAT 361 College Geometry B+, MAT 401 Mathematical Logic B, LIB-495 Capstone B)*21 credits
DSST (MIS, Intro to Computing)*6 credits*(not using)
OE800_85 Wrote:Fastest degree IMO is the BSBA general management from TESC. Can be completed entirely through CLEP/DSST/Straighterline/TECEP. If you really go all out, you can get it done, but it'll be quite an epic amount of work.

Thank you so much for the information! This is excellent news. I do indeed realize how difficult this task would be, but I know if I dedicate myself, I can make it happen.

I'm always open to more suggestions/majors as well from one of these schools. Business is very important, as the job overseas would be business related. The variation in business doesn't necessarily matter, but as long as it's a business degree, I'm a happy guy. Smile Thanks brother/sister.
APPLY and send one of the Big 3 (looks like TESC), your transcripts! Faster you apply, the sooner they'll review your credits and see exactly where you are and what you need. You'll also be able to immediately enroll. The whole process of applying, enrolling, and having TESC review your credits can take the better part of a month or two so you'll want to get the ball rolling on this.

Check out the degree program and see what you don't have so you can start working on it. BSBA in General Management Degree Program ... you could also post here what you have and/or what you need and folks on here could help assist you with which tests/programs are best/easiest.

Find a local test center and see what their policy is. It's rare, but it may be one like mine where you have to schedule an exam pretty far in advance (in the past, for DSSTs, the earliest has been 2 months to get in for me).

Start studying. (Sign up for IC, check out the specific exam feedback, take a practice test or two and if you're hitting the 60% bar, you should be good to go take the real thing)

Take the exam.

Pass it.

Move on to the next one.

Repeat last 4 steps till finished.

Graduate!

56 credits isn't that much for someone with dedication to nock out in 3 months. Pace it out. 56 credits, you're looking at probably about 19 tests. You may be able to take some StraighterLine or ALEKs courses, but you have 10-12 weeks to get this thing done. With 19 tests in 10 weeks, you're looking at about 2 tests every week.
I finished all my degree classes and left with 18 units to graduate since November 2012 been trying to see what I can clep the get 18 credit and move on. If I clep Analyzing and Interpreting lit. I will get 9 units then clep one more with 9 units will be done. My problem is I just clepped Principles of Management after taking practice test and the practice exam for $5.00 all practice test I had a score of 89% and above. When I went to take the final exam I failed I was shocked and very disappointed but it is what it is. The questions were way far from what I was studying...lol. I have to try the other exams please anyone help if you have an idea so I can do this and be done.
Kas,

As others have stated, you can probably find a test center for DSSTs and CLEPs without long lead times. However, be sure to signup for any TECEPs now. The same goes for Penn Foster courses. My priority would be:

TECEP > PF > CLEP/DSST > SL (especially courses with graded essays) > ALEKS

If you have one, you should post your degree plan as soon as possible.

Good luck! Treat it as a game, so you don't go insane!
ALEKS: College Algebra, Introduction to Statistics, Pre-Calculus
CLEP: American Government, American History I, Principles of Marketing
DSST: Business Ethics and Society, Civil War and Reconstruction, History of the Vietnam War, Human Resource Management, Management Information Systems, Money & Banking, Rise and Fall of the Soviet Union
Straighterline: Accounting I, Accounting II, Business Communications, Business Ethics, Macroeconomics, Microeconomics, Managerial Accounting, Organizational Behavior, Principles of Management
Kas-

If it was me, I would knock out everything that requires a testing center first. In the event that you need to leave before you fully complete your degree, you can still work on SL, ALEKS, FEMA, etc. while in China.
I love you guys! Thank you so much for the information & support. I'm getting ready to start the process. I'm enrolling either tonight or tomorrow, and then the journey begins. I'll do my best to document the progress on here. If all goes well, it might be a good motivational thread for everyone who may be in a situation similar to myself.

Cheers guys,
I'll keep everything updated!
Publius Wrote:APPLY and send one of the Big 3 (looks like TESC), your transcripts! Faster you apply, the sooner they'll review your credits and see exactly where you are and what you need. You'll also be able to immediately enroll. The whole process of applying, enrolling, and having TESC review your credits can take the better part of a month or two so you'll want to get the ball rolling on this.

Check out the degree program and see what you don't have so you can start working on it. BSBA in General Management Degree Program ... you could also post here what you have and/or what you need and folks on here could help assist you with which tests/programs are best/easiest.

Find a local test center and see what their policy is. It's rare, but it may be one like mine where you have to schedule an exam pretty far in advance (in the past, for DSSTs, the earliest has been 2 months to get in for me).

Start studying. (Sign up for IC, check out the specific exam feedback, take a practice test or two and if you're hitting the 60% bar, you should be good to go take the real thing)

Take the exam.

Pass it.

Move on to the next one.

Repeat last 4 steps till finished.

Graduate!

56 credits isn't that much for someone with dedication to nock out in 3 months. Pace it out. 56 credits, you're looking at probably about 19 tests. You may be able to take some StraighterLine or ALEKs courses, but you have 10-12 weeks to get this thing done. With 19 tests in 10 weeks, you're looking at about 2 tests every week.

Trust me brother/sister, I'm 100% ready to be dedicated to this monster of a project. I'm not really sure what Straightliner/ALEKS/and Penn Foster courses are, but I'll look into them. Thank you so much for all the information. I'm very blessed to have a little bit of cash saved up to allow me to focus on my studies for these next couple of months. I'll get the ball rolling immediately. Thanks so much for the advice, as well as the support.

Kas

Muricles Wrote:Kas,

As others have stated, you can probably find a test center for DSSTs and CLEPs without long lead times. However, be sure to signup for any TECEPs now. The same goes for Penn Foster courses. My priority would be:

TECEP > PF > CLEP/DSST > SL (especially courses with graded essays) > ALEKS

If you have one, you should post your degree plan as soon as possible.

Good luck! Treat it as a game, so you don't go insane!

I like that, a game. Big Grin I'll need something to keep myself from going insane. I (luckily) found a test center near me for CLEP/DSST that is only a 10 minute drive. I'll be signing up immediately for the TECEPs & Penn Foster courses (once I figure out what a Penn Foster course is Tongue)

Gaz Wrote:Kas-

If it was me, I would knock out everything that requires a testing center first. In the event that you need to leave before you fully complete your degree, you can still work on SL, ALEKS, FEMA, etc. while in China.

Great idea! I'll focus on these classes first. Thanks for the suggestions.

Thanks everyone!

Kas

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Help - Math Degree for Grad School Frederico.Sandoval 10 673 04-20-2024, 11:28 AM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  New UK Bachelors Degree Online coming soon! Leedeedee 1 280 04-03-2024, 11:54 AM
  Cheapest degree in graphic design? blablablox 10 641 03-30-2024, 12:44 PM
  Online Ivy League degree programs that require less than a week on campus sanantone 27 5,788 03-16-2024, 06:22 AM
Brick Want a bachelor's degree in 3 years? University of Minnesota, Morris is trying... Ares 8 571 02-24-2024, 06:04 PM
Last Post: natshar
  Just 16% of community college students transfer and earn a bachelor’s degree Ares 6 509 02-14-2024, 01:13 PM
Last Post: davewill
  Atlantic Technological University Interesting Bachelor degree offering from Ireland durain 0 285 02-12-2024, 02:58 AM
Last Post: durain
  The First 3-Year Degree Programs Win Approval Ares 10 869 02-07-2024, 03:40 PM
Last Post: NotJoeBiden
  NA to RA Degree Plan Assistance McManus 8 2,240 01-29-2024, 04:59 PM
  After getting the degree Harrynguyen 24 2,842 01-13-2024, 12:25 PM
Last Post: ArielB74