Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
I'm surprised SL hasn't added new courses
With all of the alternatives that have come about in the past few years, I'm really surprised that SL hasn't added more courses.  Study.com has 170 courses at this point, MANY of them UL.  SL only has 56!  They have gotten rid of courses, but haven't seemed to add new ones.  They are the most "mainstream" alternative course provider (I think), with partnerships that they post on their website so you can see who will take their courses and how they'll come into your degree, so they really should have a leg up.

Just something I've been thinking about for a while now.  Any ideas on why they're not at 200+ courses by now??
TESU BSBA/HR 2018 - WVNCC BOG AAS 2017 - GGU Cert in Mgmt 2000
EXAMS: TECEP Tech Wrtg, Comp II, LA Math, PR, Computers  DSST Computers, Pers Fin  CLEP Mgmt, Mktg
COURSES: TESU Capstone  Study.com Pers Fin, Microecon, Stats  Ed4Credit Acct 2  PF Fin Mgmt  ALEKS Int & Coll Alg  Sophia Proj Mgmt The Institutes - Ins Ethics  Kaplan PLA
My guess is they found their bread and butter courses that bring a great ROI and don't want to deviate. Investing in a new course may not be worth it based on the numbers they've crunched.
1. Prep Phase: Hopeless, 15 credits, need a BA fast, never heard of TESU
2. TESU BALS: 121/120 (9 months)

3. RN Paramedic Bridge - Excelsior (9 months + CPNE wait)
4. WGU RN -> BSN
5. BSN -> MSN/FNP
[-] The following 1 user Likes Cheeseburrito's post:
  • ronaldemail1
I find it more shameful that they had more difficult to find courses like Physics and Chem 2 and labs but dont pursue them anymore. They had lock down on market parts and gave it up. Poo
(05-28-2018, 04:23 PM)dfrecore Wrote: With all of the alternatives that have come about in the past few years, I'm really surprised that SL hasn't added more courses.  Study.com has 170 courses at this point, MANY of them UL.  SL only has 56!  They have gotten rid of courses, but haven't seemed to add new ones.  They are the most "mainstream" alternative course provider (I think), with partnerships that they post on their website so you can see who will take their courses and how they'll come into your degree, so they really should have a leg up.

Just something I've been thinking about for a while now.  Any ideas on why they're not at 200+ courses by now??

I've reached out to them about this in the past. They told me they were working on some type of fine arts product (music/art appreciation type) but so far, nothing yet.
(05-28-2018, 05:15 PM)22gunsonfire Wrote: I find it more shameful that they had more difficult to find courses like Physics and Chem 2 and labs but dont pursue them anymore. They had lock down on market parts and gave it up. Poo

Well, it has been interesting to watch the interplay between the for-profit providers and the non-profit schools.  The for-profits were really squeezed with the crackdown at the end of the Obama Admin. and had to find non-profit partners.  That's why we see companies like Sophia with so many cross-branded sites.  We also see it from the other side.  Study.com and TESU were partners in the DOE demonstration project.  There were lots of pairings like this.  So the for-profits have to please the non-profits and it has been clear that the non-profits want the last two years of college, advanced classes, technical classes and graduate work.  So the SL strategy is probably a good one.

BTW, what I see in the future are several of these for-profit/non-profit partnerships attempting to dominate market share with walled gardens. It'll be like Apple vs. Microsoft vs. Android. The goal will be to preserve a cost-effective alternative education pathway, but not at zero cost, while maintaining the higher end courses for the colleges and universities. This is, I think, why shmoop is getting squeezed. It was just too cheap and was a race to the bottom for the colleges.
[-] The following 2 users Like eriehiker's post:
  • Sapientes, Yenisei
If Shmoop found a cheap way to offer courses while protecting their product they wouldn’t have a problem. Saylor is cheaper than Shmoop and does just fine. But when you have a good chunk of people on our forums (which is not a small percentage of their ACE user base) openly bragging about skipping course content and just opening multiple tabs to more effectively cheat on their exams then we shouldn’t be surprised when they come under scrutiny.

I’m not endorsing cheating. But if you’re going to do it, don’t be so stupid and flagrant about it or you risk this happening.
Northwestern California University School of Law
JD Law, 2027 (in progress, currently 2L)

Georgia Tech
MS Cybersecurity (Policy), 2021

Thomas Edison State University
BA Computer Science, 2023
BA Psychology, 2016
AS Business Administration, 2023
Certificate in Operations Management, 2023
Certificate in Computer Information Systems, 2023

Western Governors University
BS IT Security, 2018

Chaffey College
AA Sociology, 2015

Accumulated Credit: Undergrad: 258.50 | Graduate: 32

View all of my credit on my Omni Transcript!
Visit the DegreeForum Community Wiki!
[-] The following 5 users Like jsd's post:
  • dfrecore, Johmford, mudball, Sapientes, teacher2
I second jsd.
CLEP:College Comp. w/essay, A & I Lit. w/essay, College Algebra, US History 1 & 2, Biology, Human Growth & Development   DSST: Foundations of Edu.  TEEX: Cyber Security 101 & 301 Sophia: Developing Effective Teams The Institutes: Ethics & CPCU Prof. Code.

Straighterline: Intro to Religion, Intro to Com., Western Civ. 1& 2, American Gov, PreCalculus, Intro to Bio Lab

Study.com: Personal Finance, Edu. Psychology, Classroom Management, Special Edu. History & Law, Geology, Civil War & Reconstruction, History of the Vietnam War

2018 WGU BA Mathematics Education (5-9 licensure)

Current Work: VIPKID ESL Teacher and Substitute Teacher

(05-28-2018, 07:09 PM)eriehiker Wrote: Well, it has been interesting to watch the interplay between the for-profit providers and the non-profit schools.  The for-profits were really squeezed with the crackdown at the end of the Obama Admin. and had to find non-profit partners.  That's why we see companies like Sophia with so many cross-branded sites.  We also see it from the other side.  Study.com and TESU were partners in the DOE demonstration project.  There were lots of pairings like this.  So the for-profits have to please the non-profits and it has been clear that the non-profits want the last two years of college, advanced classes, technical classes and graduate work.  So the SL strategy is probably a good one.

BTW, what I see in the future are several of these for-profit/non-profit partnerships attempting to dominate market share with walled gardens.  It'll be like Apple vs. Microsoft vs. Android.  The goal will be to preserve a cost-effective alternative education pathway, but not at zero cost, while maintaining the higher end courses for the colleges and universities.  This is, I think, why shmoop is getting squeezed.  It was just too cheap and was a race to the bottom for the colleges.

The ACE providers aren't getting so many schools accepting their courses that this is going to be a problem.  They are already few and far between.

Shmoop wasn't getting squeezed because it was cheap, and it only got squeezed by TESU (and maybe WGU).  COSC and EC still accept them, and they are still ACE-recommended.  So there is no squeezing going on, just a single school that said they wouldn't accept their courses.  I imagine TESU will come out with a new policy that says they'll only accept proctored exams, so there will be some falloff from Shmoop, ALEKS, Sophia free courses, TEEX, etc.  But it won't amount to much because there aren't that many providers that use unproctored finals - everyone else has proctored courses, so it won't be an issue.
TESU BSBA/HR 2018 - WVNCC BOG AAS 2017 - GGU Cert in Mgmt 2000
EXAMS: TECEP Tech Wrtg, Comp II, LA Math, PR, Computers  DSST Computers, Pers Fin  CLEP Mgmt, Mktg
COURSES: TESU Capstone  Study.com Pers Fin, Microecon, Stats  Ed4Credit Acct 2  PF Fin Mgmt  ALEKS Int & Coll Alg  Sophia Proj Mgmt The Institutes - Ins Ethics  Kaplan PLA
I wish they'd do logic/critical reasoning. There's ridiculously little by way of alternative options for that, given how many alternative providers there are and that this is a required gen ed at most schools.
-Rachel

BS in Interdiscipl. Studies (Health Sci. + Beh. Sci. [Coaching] + Business) at Liberty U

Liberty U: 36 cred finished

LU ICE exam:
4 cred
Christopher Newport U:
2 cred
Amer. Coll. of Healthcare Sciences: 52 cred (+14 non-transferable)
Study.com: Pers Fin, Amer Gov
Shmoop: Bible as Lit, Lit in Media
SL: Bus. Ethics, IT Fundamentals, Intro to Religion, Intro to Comm, Intro to Sociology, Surv of World History, Engl Comp I&II

TECEP: Intro to Critical Reasoning (didn't transfer)
ALEKS: Intro Stats
(05-28-2018, 09:15 PM)jsd Wrote: If Shmoop found a cheap way to offer courses while protecting their product they wouldn’t have a problem. Saylor is cheaper than Shmoop and does just fine. But when you have a good chunk of people on our forums (which is not a small percentage of their ACE user base) openly bragging about skipping course content and just opening multiple tabs to more effectively cheat on their exams then we shouldn’t be surprised when they come under scrutiny.

I’m not endorsing cheating. But if you’re going to do it, don’t be so stupid and flagrant about it or you risk this happening.

exactly. anyone who comes here and does a simple search could find 30 degrees to revoke if they were inclined to do it

the cheaters ruin it for the rest of us, i've done every SL and Shmoop test closed book and they're easily passable if you just study for them
Study.com - 177 CR. TESU - 39 CR. Middle Georgia State University - 15 CR. Sonoran Desert Institute - 42 CR. COSC - 6 CR. Excelsior - 6 CR. CLEP - 6 CR. Sophia - 14 CR. TEEX - 2 CR. Shmoop - 18 CR. NFA - 4 CR. The Institutes - 2 CR. FEMA - 20ish

BA in History/English from TESU. 
BA in Communications from TESU. AS in Firearms Technology from SDI.

[-] The following 2 users Like jsh1138's post:
  • Sapientes, teacher2

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Is there a list of which Sophia courses have touchstones? MaMichelle 9 7,398 04-17-2024, 06:22 AM
Last Post: mdn
  New Sophia Courses: Health, Fitness, and Wellness and Anatomy & Physiology II Lab LevelUP 16 962 04-08-2024, 11:51 AM
Last Post: Kab
  TEEX Cyber Security Courses / non US residents BritStudent 8 703 04-08-2024, 11:32 AM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  The official guide to courses by Straighterline, Study, et al: We want YOUR input! aviator guy 378 469,028 03-18-2024, 07:25 PM
Last Post: RachelB
Information New Sophia Courses: College Math and Chemistry MNomadic 67 10,881 03-07-2024, 11:22 PM
Last Post: Westslope Cutthroat
  Study.Com Upcoming changes to courses Vin 4 1,038 02-13-2024, 11:26 PM
Last Post: TopHatWombat
Thumbs Up Sophia Review: Finished 6 Courses in 1 Week Ares 11 2,071 02-11-2024, 04:54 PM
Last Post: Ares
  Equivalents for Old SNHU Gen Ed Courses Spalmer 6 593 02-11-2024, 11:25 AM
Last Post: Spalmer
  SeeMore courses other than CSM (or: has anyone transferred a non-ACE/NCCRS course?) vaticidalprophet 5 334 01-24-2024, 01:58 PM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  TESU AOS Finance courses Yenisei 9 711 01-15-2024, 10:31 PM
Last Post: TopHatWombat