Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
I need any associate's for work
Hello, I'm in the military and I'm a little bit older so an associate's will really help my ability to promote and get my career goals moving faster. I can take CLEP exams for free and would like to pursue that avenue as much as possible. The ultimate goal is a bachelor's a few years down the road, but I just want to focus on an associates right now. 

Your Location: Maryland
Your Age: 30's
What kind of degree do you want?: Any associate's
Current Regional Accredited Credits: These are community college classes/credits from 15 + years ago. 
Intro to Psychology 3
Physical Science 3
Principles of Geography 3
English Comp 101 3
Music Appreciation 3

Current ACE, CLEP, or NCCRS Credits:
6 credits from my military training/JST
I had an additional 6 credits from another course, but it recently and bizarrely downgraded to awarding zero credits. I just opened an inquiry with JST about it.

Happy to add any more information. Thank you very much!
Good news! You should be able to get the FREE Pierpont BOG AAS degree pretty quickly: https://degreeforum.miraheze.org/wiki/Pierpont_C%26TC

You have enough CC credits already, just fill out the rest of the requirements with Sophia and you're good to go.

Requirements:
  • 3 credits communications: filled with English Comp
  • 3 credits social science: filled with Intro to Psych
  • 6 credits math/science: Half filled with physical science. Take College Algebra @ Sophia for future Bachelor's degree. 
  • 3 credits Computer Literacu: Take Intro to IT with Sophia
  • 60 (or more) total credits: Anything you want from Sophia. Suggested to take courses towards a future Bachelor's degree at UMPI or TESU, but you can also just take whatever's fastest/easiest for you. 
In progress:
TESU - BA Computer Science; BSBA CIS; ASNSM Math & CS; ASBA

Completed:
Pierpont - AAS BOG
Sophia (so many), The Institutes (old), Study.com (5 courses)
ASU: Human Origins, Astronomy, Intro Health & Wellness, Western Civilization, Computer Appls & Info Technology, Intro Programming
Strayer: CIS175, CIS111, WRK100, MAT210
[-] The following 3 users Like rachel83az's post:
  • FastTrackDegree, oldguy4associate, origamishuttle
(12-04-2022, 02:10 AM)rachel83az Wrote: Good news! You should be able to get the FREE Pierpont BOG AAS degree pretty quickly: https://degreeforum.miraheze.org/wiki/Pierpont_C%26TC

You have enough CC credits already, just fill out the rest of the requirements with Sophia and you're good to go.

Requirements:
  • 3 credits communications: filled with English Comp
  • 3 credits social science: filled with Intro to Psych
  • 6 credits math/science: Half filled with physical science. Take College Algebra @ Sophia for future Bachelor's degree. 
  • 3 credits Computer Literacu: Take Intro to IT with Sophia
  • 60 (or more) total credits: Anything you want from Sophia. Suggested to take courses towards a future Bachelor's degree at UMPI or TESU, but you can also just take whatever's fastest/easiest for you. 

Thank you Rachel. If I'm reading the link correctly, I still need 3 additional RA credits to fulfill residency?
No, Pierpont only requires 3 graded RA credits right now. Everything else can come from Sophia or other ACE sources. This includes your JST/military credits.
In progress:
TESU - BA Computer Science; BSBA CIS; ASNSM Math & CS; ASBA

Completed:
Pierpont - AAS BOG
Sophia (so many), The Institutes (old), Study.com (5 courses)
ASU: Human Origins, Astronomy, Intro Health & Wellness, Western Civilization, Computer Appls & Info Technology, Intro Programming
Strayer: CIS175, CIS111, WRK100, MAT210
[-] The following 1 user Likes rachel83az's post:
  • oldguy4associate
(12-04-2022, 11:16 AM)rachel83az Wrote: No, Pierpont only requires 3 graded RA credits right now. Everything else can come from Sophia or other ACE sources. This includes your JST/military credits.

You should list your JST credits as well, as they may count towards something.  Wondering how something can be downgraded, since it's based on when you complete a course, not what happens later.  I would definitely press that issue.

I think that between CLEP and Sophia, you can finish credits needed in a month or two.
TESU BSBA/HR 2018 - WVNCC BOG AAS 2017 - GGU Cert in Mgmt 2000
EXAMS: TECEP Tech Wrtg, Comp II, LA Math, PR, Computers  DSST Computers, Pers Fin  CLEP Mgmt, Mktg
COURSES: TESU Capstone  Study.com Pers Fin, Microecon, Stats  Ed4Credit Acct 2  PF Fin Mgmt  ALEKS Int & Coll Alg  Sophia Proj Mgmt The Institutes - Ins Ethics  Kaplan PLA
[-] The following 1 user Likes dfrecore's post:
  • oldguy4associate
(12-04-2022, 02:27 PM)dfrecore Wrote:
(12-04-2022, 11:16 AM)rachel83az Wrote: No, Pierpont only requires 3 graded RA credits right now. Everything else can come from Sophia or other ACE sources. This includes your JST/military credits.

You should list your JST credits as well, as they may count towards something.  Wondering how something can be downgraded, since it's based on when you complete a course, not what happens later.  I would definitely press that issue.

I think that between CLEP and Sophia, you can finish credits needed in a month or two.

Hello dfrecore. I have JST's for aviation machinist mate A school and P8 powerplant 3 each. My basic training credits were downgraded to "not evaluated at this location". They were listed in the summary section in March, and I just looked again the other day and saw they were no longer valid. That's a loss of 6 credits. I entered the course code into the ACE website and it's listed. I think it's pretty weird and I'm not happy about it.

I also have FEMA courses that I paid FCC to convert into 3 credits. I can easily get another 2 credits from required courses but from browsing the forum, they look to be worthless.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Associate degree in CJ: easiest path with no prior credits? CM1999 2 258 01-11-2024, 10:52 PM
Last Post: Jonathan Whatley
  Associate Degree - Cheap and fast kslamande 6 823 12-29-2023, 02:33 AM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  IT degree with A levels & 7 years of work experience Sherwood 74 4,633 10-28-2023, 10:55 PM
  Help me to find Affordable Bsc after Associate MJREM 5 399 08-16-2023, 02:34 PM
Last Post: dfrecore
Big Grin Degree Advice for Transferring Associate into Quick Bachelors? Thanks! Missled 15 1,240 08-13-2023, 10:44 AM
  Best option for a fast Associate's in I.T. or something related? Total noob! Alec311 19 2,562 06-29-2023, 01:46 PM
Last Post: origamishuttle
  TESU's Associate Capstone: APS-2950-OL DThomas 7 682 06-24-2023, 01:23 AM
  What should i work on next? defmo 9 764 03-24-2023, 11:53 AM
Last Post: dfrecore
  36 yr old International Student with 0 credits and work experience AnandB 10 1,171 11-29-2022, 10:15 AM
Last Post: rachel83az
  Unsure of Which Institution to Choose and How I Can Use Work Experience to My Benefit skite 18 1,720 06-04-2022, 03:46 PM