Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Inactive status/spouse??
I didn't know whether to put my question here or in the Big 3 section, hope this is the correct section.

I applied to TESC in 2008 as military spouse. I keep sending my transcripts in so that I can keep track of what I've done, how TESC plans to apply it, etc, and the credits keep showing up under my "unofficial transcript".

I just checked my status and it says "Student Status: MDIAC MDCP Inactive". Active Status for Contractual Program Students but I don't know what it means to me irl.

The link says that they won't keep reviewing new transcripts for inactive students, but they have been. And I am wondering do I stay on the 2009 course catalog that is showing up when I log in, or assume that I'll have to reapply when I get to the point where I am serious about graduating? Obviously that would make significant changes in my degree plan since so much has changed in the past 7 years (including Capstone, residency requirements, etc).

If I contact TESC to ask these type of questions, who/what dept. should I ask for (since their communication with unenrolled students is notoriously unreliable)?

Thanks in advance!
BA.SS: TESU '17
AA.LS, with Honors: CC '16
CHW Certification: CC '15
ΦΘΚ, Alumna Member

"It does not matter how slowly you go as long as you do not stop."― Confucius

B&M University: '92-'95
CC: '95-'16
CLEP: A&I Lit; '08
DSST: HTYH; '08
FEMA: unusable at TESU
IIA: Ethics & CPCU; '15
Kaplan: PLA course; '14,
NFA: 2 CR; '15
SOPHIA: Intro Soc; '15
Straighterline: US History II, Intro Religion, Bus. Ethics, Prin. Mgmt, Cult. Anthro, Org Behavior, American Gov't, Bus. Comm; '15
Study.com: Social Psych, Hist of Vietnam, Abnorm Psych, Research Methods in Psych, Classroom Mgmt, Ed Psych; '16
TECEP: Psych of Women, Tech Writing, Med Term, Nutrition, Eng Comp I; '16
TESU: BA.SS Capstone course; '16

Ended with a total of 170 undergrad credits (plus lots of CEUs). My "I'm finally done" thread
I think the below is what may be of importance to you. It seems that you have to show academic progress. I'm wondering, since you've bee sending in transcripts, if that counts as activity for the school. If not, below looks like you can pay the $75 and show you've been active?

• Pay the $75 reactivation fee and provide transcripts demonstrating academic progress (i.e., that they have attempted at least 3 credits) for each 12-month period whose anniversary is the date on which their most recently attempted Thomas Edison State College course or other credit-earning option began. Students who choose this route will be governed by the academic policies in place at the time of their original enrollment with the College.

Military students with a valid Servicemembers Opportunity College (SOC) agreement with Thomas Edison State College, as well as veteran students and veteran family members, and who remain in “Inactive” status for five consecutive years, must reapply for admission to return to the College and will be governed by the academic policies and degree programs in place at the time of their readmission
CLEPS Passed: 10 DSST Passed: 11 TECEPS: 1

PrLoko-isms
Don't waste time by trying to save time. The only sure way to complete your degree is to knock out credits quickly and efficiently.

Don't let easiness bite you in the rear. Know your endgame (where you want to be) and plan backward from there. Your education is a means to an end.

Be honest professionally, socially and academically. There are people (especially little ones) who look up to you and they're going by your example.

Be proud. Whether you're an Engineer or Fast Food worker, there is honor and dignity in hard work.

Picking on people weaker than you only proves that you are a weak person.
Prloko Wrote:I think the below is what may be of importance to you. It seems that you have to show academic progress. I'm wondering, since you've bee sending in transcripts, if that counts as activity for the school. If not, below looks like you can pay the $75 and show you've been active?

• Pay the $75 reactivation fee and provide transcripts demonstrating academic progress (i.e., that they have attempted at least 3 credits) for each 12-month period whose anniversary is the date on which their most recently attempted Thomas Edison State College course or other credit-earning option began. Students who choose this route will be governed by the academic policies in place at the time of their original enrollment with the College.

Military students with a valid Servicemembers Opportunity College (SOC) agreement with Thomas Edison State College, as well as veteran students and veteran family members, and who remain in “Inactive” status for five consecutive years, must reapply for admission to return to the College and will be governed by the academic policies and degree programs in place at the time of their readmission

Thanks! You may be right -- I took a health-related school break for a few years after applying, and then sent a transcript in spring of 2013, so maybe it was just under the 5 year period and they are counting it as "academic progress". So I wonder how I find out what the residency requirements in the academic policies in 2008/09?
ΦΘΚ, Alumna Member

Straighterline: US History II, Intro Religion, Bus. Ethics, Prin. Mgmt, Cult. Anthro, Org Behavior, American Gov't, Bus. Comm; '15
Study.com: Social Psych, Hist of Vietnam, Abnorm Psych, Research Methods in Psych, Classroom Mgmt, Ed Psych; '16

Ended with a total of 170 undergrad credits (plus lots of CEUs). My "I'm finally done" thread
You can look up archived catalogs for that answer, but I think it may have been 18 credits for the Bachelors. It may have even been 12. When I enrolled in 2012/13 it was 18 credits.

EDIT: Found it.

http://www.tesc.edu/academics/catalog/Ca...chives.cfm
CLEPS Passed: 10 DSST Passed: 11 TECEPS: 1

PrLoko-isms
Don't waste time by trying to save time. The only sure way to complete your degree is to knock out credits quickly and efficiently.

Don't let easiness bite you in the rear. Know your endgame (where you want to be) and plan backward from there. Your education is a means to an end.

Be honest professionally, socially and academically. There are people (especially little ones) who look up to you and they're going by your example.

Be proud. Whether you're an Engineer or Fast Food worker, there is honor and dignity in hard work.

Picking on people weaker than you only proves that you are a weak person.
This is interesting -- I had recently asked TESC to reevaluate one of the classes I had transferred in. Just got an email that addressed that and also reflected my questions here <coincidence??>.

Part of the email said:
"Please be aware that your student type is currently inactive military as of 8/19/13 and you have never taken a class with is. For this reason, should you reapply to the college, you will be placed in the current catalog year."
ΦΘΚ, Alumna Member