Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
InstantCert InstantCREDIT Spanish I Course Review
I'm working on the Spanish and for some reason my Spanish dictionary is not matching up to the vocabulary words that are not listed. For example "The Wall" in my dictionary says "la muro," which of course the site wants "la pared."

Any recommendations on a website to use?
(12-05-2021, 09:47 PM)Cole22 Wrote: I'm working on the Spanish and for some reason my Spanish dictionary is not matching up to the vocabulary words that are not listed. For example "The Wall" in my dictionary says "la muro," which of course the site wants "la pared."

Do Google translate, and you'll see that car is coche in Spanish. 

Now try saying that to someone in the Americas.

"Dónde está el coche?"

"Coche? do you see a carriage in this parking lot? This isn't Cinderella."

Coche means car in Span, but not in the Americas.

I would just use the words they provide in Instantcert even if they are wrong, and upload them to Quizlet to practice.
Degrees: BA Computer Science, BS Business Administration with a concentration in CIS, AS Natural Science & Math, TESU. 4.0 GPA 2022.
Course Experience:  CLEP, Instantcert, Sophia.org, Study.com, Straighterline.com, Onlinedegree.org, Saylor.org, Csmlearn.com, and TEL Learning.
Certifications: W3Schools PHP, Google IT Support, Google Digital Marketing, Google Project Management
[-] The following 1 user Likes LevelUP's post:
  • Cole22
If it helps any, this is not an issue exclusive to Spanish. In German, there are at least two words for "wall": die Wand and die Mauer. Different learning programs tend to use one or the other without further explanation. What they don't tell you is that the words are not exactly equivalent. One is (mostly) for interior room walls, the other is (mostly) for exterior walls or fences. It can be confusing to a beginner.
In progress:
TESU - BA Computer Science; BSBA CIS; ASNSM Math & CS; ASBA

Completed:
Pierpont - AAS BOG
Sophia (so many), The Institutes (old), Study.com (5 courses)
ASU: Human Origins, Astronomy, Intro Health & Wellness, Western Civilization, Computer Appls & Info Technology, Intro Programming
Strayer: CIS175, CIS111, WRK100, MAT210
[-] The following 2 users Like rachel83az's post:
  • jch, Pikachu
(12-05-2021, 09:47 PM)Cole22 Wrote: I'm working on the Spanish and for some reason my Spanish dictionary is not matching up to the vocabulary words that are not listed. For example "The Wall" in my dictionary says "la muro," which of course the site wants "la pared."

El muro and the la pared. Muro=wall usually extetior and thicket, pared= interior wall, part of a room, usually thin.
Spanish have a lot of localizations,. The best option usually is to learn the vocabulary as the course present it. Im native spraker and see a lot of very diferent uses of words in usa. Just learn the way that is necessary to pass the exam.

Sent from my NX591J using DegreeForum.net mobile app
[-] The following 1 user Likes Kab's post:
  • rachel83az
Just my opinion, from someone who took the Spanish exam a couple of weeks ago.  I did not care for the IC Spansh course and I would not recommend it to folks who are new to Spanish. I preferred the ACTFL exam. I didn’t feel the IC course prepared you for the final. With ACTFL, you can choose whether you want to focus on reading or speaking. The Spanish reading course was quite simple compared to the IC final. The IC final had audio, reading and correct word tenses. The audio has recorded paragraphs in Spanish and you need to answer questions afterwards. If you’re new to Spanish like me, it’s very difficult as they speak very fast, and the audio starts immediately when you hit "Next" from the previous question. The IC final tests is listening, reading and correct noun and verb tenses. It takes time for it to be reviewed and graded  and results/badges can take a few weeks. While I was waiting for my IC final results and badge,  I decided to take the ACTFL Spanish.  The ACTFL Spanish reading exam focuses just on the reading and answering basic questions. I used the ModernStates course to study from.  I don’t believe the IC course prepares you for the audio portion of the final, and spends more time on culture, that’s not needed in the final. ACTFL is graded within seconds and badges issued at the same time.  The ACTFL is a live proctored exam, and it was very simple to use the software I also completed the French reading exam and I’m now working on the Italian one, for my own personal goal. Just my opinion here as a person that is just looking to check the box on a foreign language credit.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Cole22's post:
  • misskym
duplicate entry
ACTFL has a Spanish reading course? I thought they just had exams.
In progress:
TESU - BA Computer Science; BSBA CIS; ASNSM Math & CS; ASBA

Completed:
Pierpont - AAS BOG
Sophia (so many), The Institutes (old), Study.com (5 courses)
ASU: Human Origins, Astronomy, Intro Health & Wellness, Western Civilization, Computer Appls & Info Technology, Intro Programming
Strayer: CIS175, CIS111, WRK100, MAT210
Just exams. I used Mountain States and other free resources online.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Cole22's post:
  • misskym
(08-24-2020, 08:30 PM)OldManOfTheSea Wrote:
(08-24-2020, 01:02 PM)ss20ts Wrote: Is there an oral assignment or test in this class?

Hey ss20ts!

There are no oral assignments or tests for this course. Check out the details and the syllabus:

https://www.instantcert.com/credit_courses/Spanish-I

OldManOfTheSea
The Syllabus seems to have a series of multiple choice exams, but the comments here make it sould like you need a international keyboard. Are the chapters and exams not multiple choice then?
I'm doing this course now. I think I'm on lesson 17. Thought's so far : I've copy /pasted each lesson for reference when taking the quizzes. This sort of forces things to stick....constantly looking back on lessons and notes especially. It's a pretty good course so far but is a tad disjointed. In the quizzes you'll run across questions that have words that haven't really been explained and sentence structure that hasn't been taught. Example: In English we would spell out you, to, ....... but in Spanish, it's often part of one of the words, like it's implied. Out of curiosity I used a google translator for a sentence and it was worded differently than what the quiz wanted. If someone has had zero Spanish exposure, this course would be confusing even if they studied for a while. The vocabulary/grammar is good. That can be studied and referenced. All the rules for conjugating and such are confusing . There were two words in a grammar question that used " wish to" ( desear) and "climb" ( subir) in the same sentence.  Going by the lesson "desear" would be changed because it ends in ar and subir would be changed because it ends in ir, but....that wasn't the case. I mean, it gave me the answer they wanted and the why, but it didn't make sense in the moment. The are so many rules to absorb. It seems it would be better if it was more about conversational Spanish than all of the rules .... ed2go has conversational Spanish in the work place and it was easier to absorb in my opinion. I'll finish because I need this course and hope that I can pass the final......but don't know if it should be someone's first intro to Spanish.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  InstantCert w/CLEP and DSST tomheany 0 225 03-13-2024, 02:52 PM
Last Post: tomheany
  CLEP Spanish advice? Stanislav 8 583 01-31-2024, 08:52 PM
Last Post: LevelUP
  Abnormal Psychology TECEP is now available on InstantCert! sgloer 0 301 01-04-2024, 12:27 PM
Last Post: sgloer
  POS-2820 Comparative Politics TECEP Review GameSlinger 5 636 11-02-2023, 12:50 PM
Last Post: Kones
  BUS-3110 Business in Society TECEP Review GameSlinger 0 286 10-13-2023, 04:00 AM
Last Post: GameSlinger
  Easiest Exams-Everybody List Exams Taken with a 60+ Score Using Only InstantCert steelers 383 231,672 06-18-2023, 03:53 AM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  InstantCert InstantCREDIT Managerial Accounting Course Review OldManOfTheSea 21 6,781 11-13-2022, 05:02 PM
Last Post: dfrecore
  Instantcert Credit Transcript uncoolbilly 2 1,046 10-20-2022, 07:54 PM
Last Post: dfrecore
  Does WGU accept InstantCREDIT courses mike_1 7 1,979 08-09-2022, 03:32 PM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  Instantcert keeps billing me monthly CCCC 7 1,831 08-05-2022, 04:02 PM
Last Post: Stacie