Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Intro + Degree advice, looking at TESU for multiple degrees, BSBA + BSAST
Hi all!

I have been considering self education for a while after finding Scott H. Young's undergrad in a year project(using free courses from MIT's open courseware he did an accelerated self directed 4-year education in a year, more info on his project here: https://www.scotthyoung.com/blog/myprojects/mit-challenge-2/) and recently came across testing out at TESU. I've been crawling the forums for a bit and finally decided to register to start planning.

Me in a nutshell: huge lifelong maker/gearhead, background/family background working in commercial construction/concrete(I worked in this industry on and off/part-time/full-time from 16 y.o. to 21 y.o.), went into college straight out of HS but wasn't ready (at all, prioritized self-guided studies over classes) and failed out twice before going full-time at a manufacturing job that was highly focused on tech of interest. Manufacturing job went really well (went from sweeping floors to managing a warehouse of 3D printers printing parts for more printers + R&D + QA), offered a job in UK to do the same for the inventor of the tech (RepRap) but was denied a work visa, wound up going to vocational school in Florida (snap decision after a double whammy of visa being denied after a year of preparations and a serious relationship ending in the same week). While there I kicked ass as both full-time 3D printing coordinator(taught 250+ students how to work with 3DP professionally) and as a full-time student culminating in receiving an ACICS accredited Certificate of Completion in Video Game Production(a 1500 hour 15-month course)). Bounced around the country and worked a couple jobs related to game development and virtual reality after that living in New York, Orlando, and Los angeles. Moved back in with some family in Denver last year to deal with health issues and have finally been getting better. Currently I work part time for a non-profit that deals with technology. Now I'm looking at combining my background in Commercial Conctruction+Concrete with 3D printing at an international scale, but feel like I'm missing a strong enough foundation on the business side to get a company launched at that level so I'm looking at a degree "speedrun" to build a better foundation/understanding before seeking funding for my ventures.

I'm considering pursuing multiple degrees but am unsure which approach would be the most cost-effective/fastest and am definitely open to suggestions and other considerations! Sincerely, thank you in advance!!

I'm unsure if it would be better to go for the BSBA in Entrepreneurship and/or International Business, or do one and "double major".

I am also interested in going for a BSAST in Electronics Systems Engineering Technology, Construction, and/or Technical Studies or some combination like the BSBA.

Thanks again all!!!

I've started an editable base sheet that has everything so far for the BSBA IB here: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1...sp=sharing
I realize its been awhile but I spoke to TESU about my double major BA today and they indicated to me that if I got a double major BA they would not let me pursue a second BA. So I don't know if that helps you any but TESU does not allow you to get more than 2 Bachelor's degrees, period, even if they're from someone else. Word is that Excelsior allows you three but I haven't checked that myself
Study.com - 177 CR. TESU - 39 CR. Middle Georgia State University - 15 CR. Sonoran Desert Institute - 42 CR. COSC - 6 CR. Excelsior - 6 CR. CLEP - 6 CR. Sophia - 14 CR. TEEX - 2 CR. Shmoop - 18 CR. NFA - 4 CR. The Institutes - 2 CR. FEMA - 20ish

BA in History/English from TESU. 
BA in Communications from TESU. AS in Firearms Technology from SDI.

That's awesome, there's one thing you need to know. ACICS is a national accreditor, their accreditation status is only recognized by CHEA as USDOE revoked their recognition, so it means you will be coming in and starting from scratch at TESU. If you have other community college or uni/it certifications, you can try transferring them, but TESU has fewer options for those IT certs.

Don't fret, there are other schools and options for ACICS transfer credit schools, as APUS/Excelsior/Hodges/Patten/WGU will accept NA credits if you would like to apply to them, see who gives you the most credits and stick with them. If TESU is the school you want to stick with, no worries, you can get the Gen Eds and Profesional Business Requirements relatively easily for the BSBA, but the BS EET or Tech Studies (formerly BSAST) is going to be harder to complete.

I would do it this way, get your BSBA done first or afterward. Use the Comprehensive Tuition option to get your BSAST (now it should be just be called the BS) as it will give you up to 36 credits for the year with the Study.com discount ASAP if you're going for the BSAST as your first degree. These are all courses, so you must dedicate enough time for those; basically, for Gen Ed/Pro Business courses that can transfer easily, these courses in the BS (formerly named BSAST) are not "cheap/easy/fast".

If you do decide on another school for the BSAST, for example at Excelsior, you'll run into the same problem, as those technical courses are harder to find at the CC for UL equivalency. You'll have to complete it at the school you choose, and tuition is expensive there. You may want to investigate that at APUS/Excelsior/TESU after you've completed your BSBA if you choose that as your first degree.
In Progress: Walden MBA | TESU BA Biology & Computer Science
Graduate Certificate: Global Management & Entrepreneurship, ASU (Freebie)

Completed: TESU ASNSM Biology, BSBA (ACBSP Accredited 2017)
Universidad Isabel I: ENEB MBA, Big Data & BI, Digital Marketing & E-Commerce
Certs: 6Sigma/Lean/Scrum, ITIL | Cisco/CompTIA/MTA | Coursera/Edx/Udacity

The Basic Approach | Plans | DegreeForum Community Supported Wiki
~Note~ Read/Review forum posts & Wiki Links to Sample Degree Plans
Degree Planning Advice | New To DegreeForum? How This Area Works

[Image: e7P9EJ4.jpeg]
So life has been... life Tongue

I'm looking at getting back into getting a degree and focusing on a double major instead of pursuing two double major BSBA's as fast + inexpensive where possible. I've updated the spreadsheet here https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1...sp=sharing and slimmed it down to a BSBA IB and Entrepreneurship plan. I've decided to skip on trying to get credit from my ACICS certificate since it wouldn't really apply toward anything I'm going for, and I don't have any prior community college credits to transfer.

I think I have it together enough to start, but couldn't find alternatives/testing/exams for a handful of classes and wasn't sure if the exams for another handful are right to get the correct credit.

Can I get some other eyes on this to make sure I put together a proper plan and get some input if there are any other tests/alternatives to make it cheaper/what looks right and what I need to change?
Small Business Finance is available as as CSU-Global CBE. Verify that it works for that concentration before you pay Smile

There is a TECEP in Advertising, but verify that it works.

eCommerce is available online through some cheap CCs.

A lot of people think Entrepreneurship is a bad concentration in general. Since it's harder to find courses for, maybe consider doing Ops Management instead, or General Mgmt. International Business seems fairly expensive. Consider General Mgmt, Ops Man, HR, Marketing, Finance, etc.

I'll reach out to TESU to see if the Small Business Finance and Advertising credits will transfer Smile I'll shop around locally to see for eCommerce and then reach out to TESU to see if they'll accept that.

As for the specific degrees I'm looking at, it seems the International Business and Entrepreneurship are the most relevant options from an education standpoint for my end game which largely revolves around concrete construction projects in several countries. The idea is to use a novel method for creating foundations/structures that float for seasteading (I'm already in the process of partnering with The Seasteading Institute and Blue Frontiers through Joe Quirk.) I'm currently setting up a pitch deck to partner with a concrete foundations company here in Colorado and to get outside funding. I already have a team I've been building including an 8-figure-a-project construction Senior Superintendent, Senior Director for an international consulting firm/Adjunct Faculty at Regis University/Fortune 500 Healthcare Principal, an MIT BS-ChemE grad/Orbis Investments Data Analyst, plus my eclectic background including wearing several hats as the 6th full-time employee at a 3D printing startup that jumped from garage to #122 on the INC500 in less than 5 years/project management/non-profit community management + sponsorship fundraising/manufacturing consulting (check out the resume page on Den-VR.com for a full rundown on my background.)

If I can blast through the BSBA quick enough, I like the idea of Walden's Project Management MBA (if I can swing their $10,000 scholarship) or Patten's MBA in Strategic Management.
Yeah, personally I'd just rush though the BSBA, not doing IB or Entrepreneurship but doing 2 easier concentrations. Or just 1. So you can have more time and money toward the MBA. What concentrations your undergrad business degree has won't be that looked at once you have an MBA, or if you don't have the MBA.

I could just do the BSBA on its own and be in the $4000-5000 range and then go for the MBA at Patten for ~$2000 or go for multiple MBAs at Walden if I can somehow get the scholarship (slim chance but not impossible) which would cover the cost of multiple Masters programs. Or I could just stick with the current double major for $8-9k and think about the MBA later. I'm just trying to get the most relevant education for what I want to do + cover the gaps in knowledge/experience instead of doing it for the certificates. Definitely more of an ROI view from a startup perspective than a gotta catch 'em all/career advancement view. As far as difficulty, it's more of a dare than an uphill battle for me Wink
[-] The following 1 user Likes coloradocale's post:
  • Ideas
So I've updated the sheet again here https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1...=159295418

I nixed the IB track and decided to go for the BSBA in Entrepreneurship and will do Pattens MBA in Strategic Management after that. Looks like getting the BSBA can be done for under $4500 and the MBA can be done for ~$2000. Would apply for the scholarships at Walden and if that doesn't pan out go for the MBA at Patten.

I have been saving up $ and am ready to get the ball rolling for real now but wanted some other eyes to help me make sure I have everything right/won't be taking classes I don't need/won't be wasting money on unnecessary courses before I start spending what I've saved up. If those with experience would be willing to go through with a fine tooth comb that would be massively appreciated!!

Thank you!

Also, would the free credits from this be applicable?

https://www.onlinedegree.com/free-courses/

I haven't been keeping up with the changes since my last post and came across it. Would be great to get some more free credits!!
(08-02-2018, 12:53 PM)coloradocale Wrote: So I've updated the sheet again here https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1...=159295418

I nixed the IB track and decided to go for the BSBA in Entrepreneurship and will do Pattens MBA in Strategic Management after that. Looks like getting the BSBA can be done for under $4500 and the MBA can be done for ~$2000. Would apply for the scholarships at Walden and if that doesn't pan out go for the MBA at Patten.

I have been saving up $ and am ready to get the ball rolling for real now but wanted some other eyes to help me make sure I have everything right/won't be taking classes I don't need/won't be wasting money on unnecessary courses before I start spending what I've saved up. If those with experience would be willing to go through with a fine tooth comb that would be massively appreciated!!

Thank you!

Also, would the free credits from this be applicable?

https://www.onlinedegree.com/free-courses/

I haven't been keeping up with the changes since my last post and came across it. Would be great to get some more free credits!!

Patten University is no more - they just closed (July 2018):  https://www.degreeforum.net/mybb/Thread-...ty-Closing
Amberton University
- MS Human Relations and Business - 2022
Thomas Edison State University (TESU)
- BSBA General Management - 2018
- ASNSM Computer Science -2018

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  BALS COSC vs TESU AJ_Atlanta 7 3,976 09-22-2018, 11:22 PM
Last Post: dfrecore
  TESU Enrollment Question mysonx3 8 3,659 09-19-2018, 11:16 AM
Last Post: jsd
  What do i Do if an application asks for GPA with a degree from the Big 3? Crt 5 3,201 09-19-2018, 08:54 AM
Last Post: Johmford
  guided vs online tesu capstone shendaddy 18 6,102 09-19-2018, 06:07 AM
Last Post: armstrongsubero
  TESU Diversity mysonx3 8 3,637 09-18-2018, 02:56 PM
Last Post: allvia
  ACE Transcript To TESU ISKBizz15 4 2,729 09-17-2018, 05:32 PM
Last Post: ISKBizz15
  Study.com and TESU partnership? Jenna.C 2 2,341 09-17-2018, 12:50 PM
Last Post: Jenna.C
  TESU Liberal Studies with Concentration Class Options Jenna.C 2 2,586 09-17-2018, 11:25 AM
  Cornerstone Waiver for TESU if I already paid Jenna.C 3 2,321 09-16-2018, 06:09 PM
  TESU Certifcates? natshar 7 3,373 09-15-2018, 07:51 PM
Last Post: MNomadic