Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Is Financial Aid Useless for TESU?
For the most common degree plans here that include transferring 90-114 credits, is there any current way to utilize students loans or grants at TESU in conjunction with these degree plans?
Current: UMPI YourPace competency-based BABA, Management & Leadership Concentration, Project Management and Management of Information Systems Minors. Starting with 15 RA credits previously earned in community college. Took the CSM Learn course. Now going through Sophia courses.
Goal: Walden TEMPO competency-based MBA.
Timeline: Started planning mid 2021. Finish both, Jan 2023. A year and a half total, including planning. Started planning on TESU, but was advised towards UMPI to take advantage of financial aid. I'm now excited to finish completely competency-based.
Fun fact: I sometimes use TV as a productivity toolOne episode per chapter, load of dishes, or basket of laundry!
Thanks to everyone, and happy studying!  Smile
You can, if you take enough courses for credit per term, you can... for example take enough credits to spread out a couple of terms, or max it out in 3 terms. I would recommend doing so if you're going for the 16 residency credits versus paying a residency waiver fee.
In Progress: Walden MBA | TESU BA Biology & Computer Science
Graduate Certificate: Global Management & Entrepreneurship, ASU (Freebie)

Completed: TESU ASNSM Biology, BSBA (ACBSP Accredited 2017)
Universidad Isabel I: ENEB MBA, Big Data & BI, Digital Marketing & E-Commerce
Certs: 6Sigma/Lean/Scrum, ITIL | Cisco/CompTIA/MTA | Coursera/Edx/Udacity

The Basic Approach | Plans | DegreeForum Community Supported Wiki
~Note~ Read/Review forum posts & Wiki Links to Sample Degree Plans
Degree Planning Advice | New To DegreeForum? How This Area Works

[Image: e7P9EJ4.jpeg]
You definitely can utilize financial aid grants and loans at TESU. However, it will require added planning and work. Unfortunately, TESU adversely changed their financial aid system recently. Now, six credits per term is required for half-time status, and full-time requires a whopping twelve OL/GS credits in a term. Thus, you'd have to take on a very heavy load to maximize aid. Thankfully, any leftover eligibility can be spread across the remaining terms in the academic year.
Also, keep in mind that TESU generally requires financial aid recipients to stay on a JAN/APR/JUL/OCT course calendar.
TESU Class of 2024 BSBA-CIS+GM, BSIT, ASNSM-CS+Math, AAS-GEN
Earned credits from Sophia, SDC, ASU ULC, TEEX, Microsoft, Strayer, TESU, Saylor, DSST, CLEP, CompTIA, StraighterLine, and others since starting in April 2020
I would say that TESU is not the best school if you only want to transfer in 90cr; if you really want to go to maximize Financial Aid yet go to a school that takes more credits but is cheaper, I'd look at COSC and EC.

If you want to maximize Financial Aid and get school completely paid for, I'd choose UMPI unless they just don't have a degree you want.
TESU BSBA/HR 2018 - WVNCC BOG AAS 2017 - GGU Cert in Mgmt 2000
EXAMS: TECEP Tech Wrtg, Comp II, LA Math, PR, Computers  DSST Computers, Pers Fin  CLEP Mgmt, Mktg
COURSES: TESU Capstone  Study.com Pers Fin, Microecon, Stats  Ed4Credit Acct 2  PF Fin Mgmt  ALEKS Int & Coll Alg  Sophia Proj Mgmt The Institutes - Ins Ethics  Kaplan PLA
(09-22-2021, 09:07 PM)jch Wrote: You definitely can utilize financial aid grants and loans at TESU. However, it will require added planning and work. Unfortunately, TESU adversely changed their financial aid system recently. Now, six credits per term is required for half-time status, and full-time requires a whopping twelve OL/GS credits in a term. Thus, you'd have to take on a very heavy load to maximize aid. Thankfully, any leftover eligibility can be spread across the remaining terms in the academic year.  
Also, keep in mind that TESU generally requires financial aid recipients to stay on a JAN/APR/JUL/OCT course calendar.

So theoretically all one has to do is have a single term with 6 OL/GS credits to qualify for the half-time aid and it will be dispersed evenly throughout the rest of the year? My plan is to start with a flat-rate term of 6 OL/GS credits as the Cornerstone, PLA-100 & PLA-200, with two ePacks for 12 credits, then over the course of the year gather all of the required alt credits, and finish at the end with the capstone and a 1 credit course. This would be enough for the 16 TESU residency credits to remove the waiver fee, but would this be a good degree plan to utilize financial aid?

What would happen with the aid loans or grant money during the time when I would be a fully enrolled student but not registered in any classes while obtaining alt sourced credits?

(09-22-2021, 09:23 PM)dfrecore Wrote: I would say that TESU is not the best school if you only want to transfer in 90cr; if you really want to go to maximize Financial Aid yet go to a school that takes more credits but is cheaper, I'd look at COSC and EC.

If you want to maximize Financial Aid and get school completely paid for, I'd choose UMPI unless they just don't have a degree you want.

I was looking at the degreewiki page but I didn't see the credit requirements for the big three summarized anywhere. If TESU requires 120cr* and they accept up to 114 transfer credits if 24 are RA, how does COSC, EC, and UMPI differ in their general credit requirements?

I should mention I am going for a business degree.
Current: UMPI YourPace competency-based BABA, Management & Leadership Concentration, Project Management and Management of Information Systems Minors. Starting with 15 RA credits previously earned in community college. Took the CSM Learn course. Now going through Sophia courses.
Goal: Walden TEMPO competency-based MBA.
Timeline: Started planning mid 2021. Finish both, Jan 2023. A year and a half total, including planning. Started planning on TESU, but was advised towards UMPI to take advantage of financial aid. I'm now excited to finish completely competency-based.
Fun fact: I sometimes use TV as a productivity toolOne episode per chapter, load of dishes, or basket of laundry!
Thanks to everyone, and happy studying!  Smile
(09-22-2021, 09:25 PM)schristian10 Wrote: So theoretically all one has to do is have a single term with 6 OL/GS credits to qualify for the half-time aid and it will be dispersed evenly throughout the rest of the year? My plan is to start with a flat-rate term of 6 OL/GS credits as the Cornerstone, PLA-100 & PLA-200, with two ePacks for 12 credits, then over the course of the year gather all of the required alt credits, and finish at the end with the capstone and a 1 credit course. This would be enough for the 16 TESU residency credits to remove the waiver fee, but would this be a good degree plan to utilize financial aid?

What would happen with the aid loans or grant money during the time when I would be a fully enrolled student but not registered in any classes while obtaining alt sourced credits?

(09-22-2021, 09:23 PM)dfrecore Wrote: I would say that TESU is not the best school if you only want to transfer in 90cr; if you really want to go to maximize Financial Aid yet go to a school that takes more credits but is cheaper, I'd look at COSC and EC.

I was looking at the degreewiki page but I didn't see the credit requirements for the big three summarized anywhere. If TESU requires 120cr* and they accept up to 114 transfer credits if 24 are RA, how does COSC, EC, and UMPI differ in their general credit requirements?

I should mention I am going for a business degree.

Nope, this isn't how it works. You only get financial aid during terms when you're taking TESU courses. Pell Grants require at least six applicable credits in that term. Any aid qualified for during a term is disbursed in that term. Nothing is disbursed during other terms, even though TESU still counts you as enrolled. However, any unused aid eligibility is still available for the remaining terms, if you qualify then. Also, only the online and guided study course formats count toward financial aid status. E-pack and TECEP credits are not included.
Here's how your example would pan out:
First term: 6 OL credits would give you half-time financial aid status in this term. The 6 EP credits aren't counted. You'd be eligible for 50% of your per-term grants. If you receive the largest possible Pell Grant, 50% would be about $1700. The remaining ~$3000 would have to be paid with loans and/or cash.
Other terms while working on alt credit: no financial aid received. Zero eligibility because you're not taking any courses at TESU.
Final term: no grants received. Four credits is below the minimum for grant eligibility. Would need to pay everything with loans/cash.
Thus, this plan doesn't work out well for financial aid. At TESU, maximizing Pell Grant money requires taking twelve OL/GS credits per term. Then take an e-pack on top of that for free if desired. This is a very heavy load that isn't easy to manage.
I agree with dfrecore that UMPI is a better option. For a simple, cheap, and fast business degree, their program has you covered. Transfer in 90 alt credits using the posted plans and knock out the remaining 30 there in a few terms.
TESU Class of 2024 BSBA-CIS+GM, BSIT, ASNSM-CS+Math, AAS-GEN
Earned credits from Sophia, SDC, ASU ULC, TEEX, Microsoft, Strayer, TESU, Saylor, DSST, CLEP, CompTIA, StraighterLine, and others since starting in April 2020
[-] The following 1 user Likes jch's post:
  • WALLACEMC11

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  TESU or somewhere else for IT/CS related degree? tdat314 6 211 04-17-2024, 01:34 PM
Last Post: rachel83az
  LUO or TESU for BSBA kimberlyagapril 5 191 04-16-2024, 01:06 PM
Last Post: jg_nuy
  TESU - BA CS + BS CIS ahmedeo0510@gmail.com 12 386 04-03-2024, 12:34 PM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  Critique and Advice on Plan for Computer Science BA from TESU aseneca 6 455 03-19-2024, 10:59 PM
Last Post: jg_nuy
  TESU BACS course selection for OMSCS warre 29 1,017 03-14-2024, 03:47 PM
Last Post: warre
  LU to TESU or UMPI - please help! CharisandJon 17 783 03-14-2024, 09:07 AM
Last Post: ss20ts
  BA in Communications at TESU Deetzin 2 225 03-12-2024, 02:17 PM
Last Post: LevelUP
  BSBA CIS Area of Study @ TESU Vin 21 1,380 02-09-2024, 01:13 PM
Last Post: LevelUP
  Course/Degree Planning - Liberal Studies, BA - TESU drp16 4 442 01-31-2024, 02:41 PM
Last Post: drp16
Question My degree plan for TESU BA in CS; thoughts/recs? bruh 65 6,219 01-11-2024, 06:41 PM
Last Post: bjcheung77